DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all...

With all the talk about amps on these forums and no conversations about A/B amps, this has sparked my interest. For those with experience with A/B amps, what say you? I'm working on adding a couple of Hertz Mille Legend ML700.3 midrange speakers for the A-pillars to go with my Mille ML280 tweeters. I also just picked up a pair of GB60's from Skizer and bought a GB10D4 10" sub from Crutchfield. With all that being said, my budget has become limited. I'm doing my best to do most of the labor stuff myself to save a few bucks. When I'm done with the A pillars Mr. Apicella & Mr. Mullings will be doing the tune.

I have been eying the Audison Voce 5.1k 5 channel. Seems like the best choice so far. So I'm just curious what the experienced folks have to suggest?...

Just a side note: It must be an A/B AMP!!!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I love my arc ks900.6.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I'm just curious, where do you mount those amps in your Impreza?
I used to mount them on the back of the rear seats, I have an amp rack now is mounted diagonally from my box to the corner of the trunk. One amp on top, the other on the bottom.

I went down to one sub a few years ago and was able to redo some things while saving space and finally get the amps off the seats too.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Since nobody else has chimed in... think the zapco ap150.6 would be the go-to 6ch class ab amp. If you can swing the price, that is.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Zapco 150.4 or 150.6 all the way. They just plain work! Plenty of people on here still run a/b amps. Just easy to get lost in all the super tiny class D talk. I still prefer a/b on mids and highs even if the difference is all in my head when compared to the better designed D amps.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Zapco 150.4 or 150.6 all the way. They just plain work! Plenty of people on here still run a/b amps. Just easy to get lost in all the super tiny class D talk. I still prefer a/b on mids and highs even if the difference is all in my head when compared to the better designed D amps.
I think more people would run AB amps if they had the space. Isn't 150-160 watts per channel the Zapco's put out pretty risky for most tweeters, even with the gains down? I have a zapco AB amp that I'm going to have to get creative with to find a place to mount it.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
I think more people would run AB amps if they had the space. Isn't 150-160 watts per channel the Zapco's put out pretty risky for most tweeters, even with the gains down? I have a zapco AB amp that I'm going to have to get creative with to find a place to mount it.
I know someone with an AVAILABLE 500rms to EACH tweeter. He has a pair of 150.6's bridged to his 3-way front. Gains at minimum and pulled down in the processor is all you need to do. The amp will only put out as much as you tell it to.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I know someone with an AVAILABLE 500rms to EACH tweeter. He has a pair of 150.6's bridged to his 3-way front. Gains at minimum and pulled down in the processor is all you need to do. The amp will only put out as much as you tell it to.
Damnit, I knew I shouldn't have said anything. You're tempting me to go to the bigger zapco

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
You could just sell me the 700.3s and not have to worry about it!

In all seriousness, I have a Zapco ST-4SQ bridged to my 1800.3s and a ST-2SQ on my 280.3. I love how they sound. I can only think the higher level Zapco amps would be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
What's the point if..

1) an all things equal amp but with more power will have a higher noise floor

2) takes up more space for zero reason (unless your like me, and aesthetically like filling up available space)

3) is fully aware that they dont even use 10% of what they have at any time

I dont get it. This whole headroom thing is getting silly

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
What's the point if..

2) takes up more space for zero reason (unless your like me, and aesthetically like filling up available space)

Those people in extreme class be crazy yo! You've probably heard the system I'm referring to. Bill's FJ. Personally, the rated 80x4 and 130x2 of a/b power I'm running does fine. I have a really low noise floor so totally happy in that respect:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could just sell me the 700.3s and not have to worry about it!

In all seriousness, I have a Zapco ST-4SQ bridged to my 1800.3s and a ST-2SQ on my 280.3. I love how they sound. I can only think the higher level Zapco amps would be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's not but say we did!...

That's where the Mille's shine. The ML280.3 & ML700.3 marriage with the right A/B amp would be orgasmic!!!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
What's the point if..

Headroom... heh. Kinda like:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ill have a zed audio leviathan for sale soon. Would have plenty of power. Just have to wait a few weeks for me to get home. Good price on it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ill have a zed audio leviathan for sale soon. Would have plenty of power. Just have to wait a few weeks for me to get home. Good price on it.
Sweet! Do you know the model yet? Just would like to look up the details on it.

Btw, where in NY are you? I'm up in Albany.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Its the MKIII and its the leviathan. Im in Rochester but i go ti Syracuse ince a month or so. Could definitely meet up somewhere.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'll vouch for him if his feedback isn't good enough for you, lol. Some of mine probably back in there. The Leviathan is a good choice, as is the Zapco 150.6. I'm running 2 channels of that 150.6 on my HLCDs.... talk about overkill, right? lol I've also got a DC750.2 on the tweeters in my Z.

I like POWAH, what can I say? lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys. All of these suggestions seem legitimate. I've been doing some research and they all seem like great amps. I have been really thinking about that Audison Voce 5.1k though. But if i remember correctly they had their own issues as well.

On a side note... Like I mentioned before I have the Mille ML700.3 3" midrange that I'm installing on the A pillars and the Mille ML280.3 tweeters that I have on the sails already. The wires on these tweeters seem to be around 18 or even 20 gauge. I'd like to run new 14 gauge wire for this 3-way setup. Any thoughts on how I should approach this dilemma?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts