DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,900 Posts
I'm very happy with the Z-150.6 AP I have in my car. (All of my AP amps, actually.) I don't see them going anywhere for a very long time.

If the AP line is too much, the Z-150.6 II is also a great option. And both lines have options for matching subwoofer amps. I run a pair of Z-400.2 APs for the 10s in my car.

Another amp that you might want to take a look at, especially if single sided connections work better for your install, is the Ground Zero GZUA 6.200SQ-PLUS. They also have a matching subwoofer amp in the GZUA 2.250SQ-PLUS.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'm very happy with the Z-150.6 AP I have in my car. (All of my AP amps, actually.) I don't see them going anywhere for a very long time.

If the AP line is too much, the Z-150.6 II is also a great option. And both lines have options for matching subwoofer amps. I run a pair of Z-400.2 APs for the 10s in my car.

Another amp that you might want to take a look at, especially if single sided connections work better for your install, is the Ground Zero GZUA 6.200SQ-PLUS. They also have a matching subwoofer amp in the GZUA 2.250SQ-PLUS.
Can you comment on anything you have noticed from going from the ks900.6 to the AP? Any changes/improvements in sound etc, that is..

Suppose there is a chance you don't want to go there..... lol. If not, I understand.

:)

·
Registered
17,768 Posts
Now the Hertz/Audison fans come out! LOL!...

I would leave that up to the SkizeR & Mullings. But I'm positive that we would narrow that band and allow the ML280.3's to shine.
yeah, sorry to whoever said theyre using them as widebands, but by looking at their specs they most definitely dont really lend themselves to it. Nasty cone breakup from 6k and up isnt helping either.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you're eyeing the 5.1k and it's going to work well for your system, you really can't go wrong. I have one of each of the 4 Voce models and have absolutely zero complaints with any of them including the 5.1k. I find the optional AD link capability to be fantastic and unbeatably convenient.

However, you did say class AB and the 5.1k has 2 class A, 2 class AB and 1 class D channels. The other 3 Voce's are all class AB, including the Uno :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
If you're eyeing the 5.1k and it's going to work well for your system, you really can't go wrong. I have one of each of the 4 Voce models and have absolutely zero complaints with any of them including the 5.1k. I find the optional AD link capability to be fantastic and unbeatably convenient.

However, you did say class AB and the 5.1k has 2 class A, 2 class AB and 1 class D channels. The other 3 Voce's are all class AB, including the Uno :)
Thanks for the info. I've had my eye on the Voce 5.1k since I had the Mille's installed 4 years ago. Just couldn't financially pull the trigger. I've always been impressed with their products. I had the Bit One installed when I had the Mille's done and was not impressed at all. The Helix is just that much better. I'm still a little leery about the Voce's but they fit what I'm looking for and so do the Mosconi Pro 5|30 & 4|10. They're just so much money. It just seems that a great compromise would be the Zapco's.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've had my eye on the Voce 5.1k since I had the Mille's installed 4 years ago. Just couldn't financially pull the trigger. I've always been impressed with their products. I had the Bit One installed when I had the Mille's done and was not impressed at all. The Helix is just that much better. I'm still a little leery about the Voce's but they fit what I'm looking for and so do the Mosconi Pro 5|30 & 4|10. They're just so much money. It just seems that a great compromise would be the Zapco's.

Bit one is too outdated compared to the Helix.

The bit one HD is a better competitor if FIR filters are being used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Helix has no hardware advantage over the Bitone HD. The difference is all in the tuning anyways. I find the 5.1k to be a very cost-effective solution. With it being able to run my entire system, I had no need for a $100 fused distro block, relay for the trigger wire or extra space.

The mosconi pro 5ch is too similar to the 5.1k to me to be worth an extra $500 on top. If you have a bitone, get the voce and the Bit In Digital interface card and never worry about RCAs going bad again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The Helix has no hardware advantage over the Bitone HD. The difference is all in the tuning anyways. I find the 5.1k to be a very cost-effective solution. With it being able to run my entire system, I had no need for a $100 fused distro block, relay for the trigger wire or extra space.

The mosconi pro 5ch is too similar to the 5.1k to me to be worth an extra $500 on top. If you have a bitone, get the voce and the Bit In Digital interface card and never worry about RCAs going bad again.
too many problems with the Bit One! That's why I'm leery about splurging for the Voce's. Definitely mixed feeling about Audison. At the same time I do like the concept of having the Voce's.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If there’s 1 Audison product to not worry about it’s definitely the amps. That’s what they originally started with. Just look at the HV Venti, the thing is incredible. That said, I avoid Hertz/Audison speakers like the plague lol. I also have a Bitone that’s nearly 10 years old, been in 3 cars, and it’s been flawless since new.

One of my friends had to have his 5.1k repaired and we were surprised by how reasonable it was to use Audison’s service. They even picked up the tab on next day air shipping both ways.

·
Registered
733 Posts
too many problems with the Bit One! That's why I'm leery about splurging for the Voce's. Definitely mixed feeling about Audison. At the same time I do like the concept of having the Voce's.

What problems?

Bit one - noise issue in some units
Bit one HD - adlink2 port may not work with bit in HD modules unless you have a bit one hd r03a or bit in HD r03 modules.

Those are the only issues I've ever experienced with bit one line of DSP.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
What problems?

Bit one - noise issue in some units
Bit one HD - adlink2 port may not work with bit in HD modules unless you have a bit one hd r03a or bit in HD r03 modules.

Those are the only issues I've ever experienced with bit one line of DSP.

For one I had to replace the DRC after (1) year. The hissing was driving me crazy. Also, there was a popping noise coming from either the 2nd DRC or the Bit One itself. The only remedy was to replace it with the Helix. I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
For one I had to replace the DRC after (1) year. The hissing was driving me crazy. Also, there was a popping noise coming from either the 2nd DRC or the Bit One itself. The only remedy was to replace it with the Helix. I haven't had a problem since.
Helix dsps are like Porsche's, expensive, always works even when run hard, and totally worth it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Helix dsps are like Porsche's, expensive, always works even when run hard, and totally worth it.
Absolutely!... Now it's the head-scratching process of finding the best amps to marry them with. This seems to be the challenge. Finding the balance between power and sound quality is tough. But so far the front runner - for me - seems to be (2) Zapco Z-150.4 II & (1) Zapco Z-1KD II Class D Mono. The other thing I'm thinking of is cost vs. value. These amps seem to tickle the right spot!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
There is always the option of the z150.4 plus an old school high quality a/b amplifier on the tweets :) to make it interesting and more affordable.

But matching is important for some. I just got a zapco st-204d sq which is like 185x4 @ 4 but its class d, (sounds great though) I was running an OS Zapco Studio 300x but it died after 25 years of use so I grabbed that for a great deal.

I didnt want to change my sub amp really or need to feed that much to my tweeters (in reality 50-75 watts is fine) so the class d monoblock had to go as the new zapco 4 channel powders my midwoofers and single 10 (185x2+560x1) and I use an old zapco studio 100 on my tweeters and those are my all time favorite amps. I like it. I can hardly tell a difference from my previous 300x with the current d class zapco on woofers. I think you can benefit from a/b most on the tweets

I always prefer a/b on tweets and mids but Im impressed with the new st-d zapcos. Maybe toss an old A/D/S or amp your drooled over 20 years ago on the tweets. A nice 50-75 japanese nak or alpine, old zapcos, audio arts, tube... Its the fun part.

·
Premium Member
8,900 Posts
Can you comment on anything you have noticed from going from the ks900.6 to the AP? Any changes/improvements in sound etc, that is..

Suppose there is a chance you don't want to go there..... lol. If not, I understand.

:)
I changed too much at once to contribute everything to just the amps. I went from a KS900.6 & KS600.2 with Arc Black 12 sub and Mosconi 6to8 V8 to a Z-150.6AP & (2x) Z-400.2AP with a pair of Raven 10XLs and a Helix DSP.2 all in one shot. Now having said all of that, I am very happy with the current setup. Plenty of power and the amps seem dead quiet. I really don't care for hyperbolic audiophile jargon, but the APs do seem very transparent. I would definitely consider them an upgrade from the KS.

Now, I do still think the KS represents quite a good value for the money. The KS900.6 has some QC issues that I don't think are present in the rest of the line. And I think you know that as well as just about anyone. I know I went through my share of KS900.6s, but Arc was always really good about taking care of me if/when I had an issue.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts