DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is asking alot and my choices are probably few, but the vifa i'm using just doesn't like alot of power. my current setup requires a 3-4" mid and i need to get it as loud as possible without distortion.

would like to keep the pair under 150$ish; suggestions?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Re: suggestions for affordable 3-4" mid that can take power AND not rape my wallet?

Scanspeak Discovery 10F/4424G, 4" Midrange 4 ohm: Madisound Speaker Store

If you can squeeze it.

There is this: Dayton Audio RS100-4 4" Reference Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm 295-378

Also this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=285-020

These are all great choices but is based specifically on what you need it to do for your car. As in the frequency range, location, if you have an enclosure for them and so on.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: suggestions for affordable 3-4" mid that can take power AND not rape my wallet?

here's what im working with so far....

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...b/118635-mid-hi-pillars;-crossover-point.html

ive been swapping parts, taking apart, damping, sealing, tuning, etc. and i still have distortion. these vifa mids im using have a decent sound, but i just can't get the volume out of them that i need. plus, these were kind of a makeshift solution for my extremely limited budget. however, it looks now like i might have to break down and put some money into a nice mid. im liking the scans but they are a little pricey. the driver can't have a big magnet; prefer neo because of the angle of the driver vs. the depth of the magnet. if its too big/deep, it'll bottom out (thats what she said). and, id rather not rebuild the pods if i don't have to. the damn things took me a couple months to finish in my limited off time and limited daylight.

also, could consider a new tweeter as well as the vifa xt's seem a little weak as well. they have a very nice open and airy sound to them, but unless i can get a mid to extend nicely past 6k, these tweets just can't be crossed that low and put out decent volume.

so, any other suggestions for mids and/or tweets to throw in here?

·
Registered
4,991 Posts

Fountek FR88EX, good low distortion driver. Very detailed. I cross them at [email protected] HP.

Audison Voce 3, also pretty nice. Crossed those at [email protected] HP.

Check out Zaph|Audio

·
Registered
137 Posts

The new Hertz Mille ML700 are really nice. Put 115 watts into them crossed at 300hz @12db.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts

Faitel that was recommended.

positive side is it does NOT take a lot of power to get loud. they are a high efficiency low distortion speaker. I suggest going with a pro audio mid because better power handling, cooling is designed into them and less snake oil in the marketing. Plus less expensive with similar performance to much more expensive drivers in most cases.

tweeter wise, BG neo3pdr

cross at [email protected]/oct though with the faitels you can get by with 3k

1 - 7 of 7 Posts