DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I will be selecting, inventing and building a project for Systems Engineering for year 12 next year. During the summer break (Im in Australia) I have to have decided what I would like to build and commence a design folio.

Whatever project I choose has to incorporate electronic aswell as mechanical aspects, eg. amp rack which spins or amps that comes out on hydraulic pistons, etc...

So I am looking for suggestions for projects which can be designed and built outside of a car (I have to build the project at school due to VCE rules, I can fibreglass in the car though, just need many pictures and videos as proof that I did it), however I can install the final product into a car and make a video to demonstrate its purpose. Originally I wanted to build 5 engine monitoring modules (turbo timer, volts, narrow band air/fuel, etc), mount them inside a plexiglass box and fibreglass it into the glove box with a motor and slides which can pop in and out via a remote.
However Im having second thoughts as I think the hardest part is to design the motorised rack system, which will be very challenging as I am not experienced in custom installs. unless anyone here can give me some tips and help. Im an amature at fibreglassing too. I have made speaker pods before but nothing on car dashboards or anything crazy.

Regards, Tommy

·
Registered
164 Posts
So you want to choose a project that will not stretch your skills? One that will be easy for you?

May I suggest that a classroom setting, where assistance from books, interweb, experts in the field, even (G-d forbid) your instructor is not only available but encouraged, seems like the ideal time to go for it and choose a project that you know will be difficult. Might actually learn something.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Slide out glove box, easy. Use a small motor turning a worm drive gear attached to a scissor lift type device. Easy as that.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Slide out glove box, easy. Use a small motor turning a worm drive gear attached to a scissor lift type device. Easy as that.
Or actuators and relays. Attach some prox sensors so it will stop so far out, in the case you have something in the front seat, don't want it to keep going.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you want to choose a project that will not stretch your skills? One that will be easy for you?

May I suggest that a classroom setting, where assistance from books, interweb, experts in the field, even (G-d forbid) your instructor is not only available but encouraged, seems like the ideal time to go for it and choose a project that you know will be difficult. Might actually learn something.
I should choose something challenging, but I cant afford to stuff up my project. If that happens this means I will destroy the possibility of qualifying for university, so whatever I choose to do has to standout, be reasonably challenging and doable for someone of my standard.

That sounds like a good idea. I was also thinking of using a CD drive from an old computer and modify it?

3 Time World Champion Car Audio System Trunk Demonstration - YouTube
The owner of this car told me he used hinges with a limit switch. This sounds like a very simplistic mechanical system that doesnt sound too hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts