DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This build will be for a 2003 Jeep Rubicon..I know, right..My equipment so far: Eclipse 5030 HU, Eclipse XA 4200 4channel amp, and Cadence ZR5-W8 powered sub..money permitting, I hope to go 3-way someday, but till then, 6.5's in glass kicks(SSV Works Commander Front Pods - CM-FKP65), tweets pod-mounted on dash.According to factory, kick-pods are around.2 cu ft.Any suggestions on any non-paper woofer-tweet components that might do well considering the kick pod limitations? Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have for sale a set of DLS UP5i's.

P.M. if interested.

I had this set in my previous vehicle. I had them running passively off a bridged Memphis 4 ch. amplifier pushing 230 rms to each seperate:) Set gains carefully. If you do not feed them ATLEAST 100-125, than forget it. They take a lot of wattage to make them shine. I had them my mids "on axis" in deadened kick panels, and tweets "off axis" in my A pillars. I will mention this. Go read around, people have had great luck going "off axis" with DLS drivers.

I swapped out a previous set of Boston Pro's with the DLS. So hey I can give you a quick comparison of the two. Reason why I swapped my Pro's out is the tweeter. They were an older set from Boston, equipped with Metal Dome tweets and were far too harsh for me. I had the tweeters mounting on the dash initially. I had them in the kicks pretty damn fast after a few weeks of listening. Mid-bass is definately the strong point on this component set. They were more of an aggresive "up in your face" component set. NOT for me:) After swapping them with the DLS I wil say that the DLS are a lot more neutral, natural sounding. Mid-bass is definately not as strong, but they are a more "real" sounding set. However, the DLS take a LOT more wattage to make them sound good.

In application I had a Memphis MCA3004 to work with. 75 RMS per ch.

Boston Pro's: sounded better with 75 rms per channel. I tried bridging my amplifier and running 230 rms to each driver, t'was a bit of an overkill

DLS Ultimates: LOL, it'd be a waste of time sending these guys 75 rms per seperate. Boston sounded much better, and got a lot louder with that amount of wattage. These guys are power hungry, go ahead and feed them.

Well, hope that helps a little bit.

I have now a set of Sea's Prestige Poly woven's and a set of Scan's HDS tweets in the mail. Lets hope they sound better than those DLS Ultimates:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Mr T, I've been lookin at the DLS 3-ways for a time now...appreciate the feedback..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts