DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 2 years of pounding them I've blown one of the woofers in my Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS speakers. Now I see that they are no longer made so I need to find a replacement.
Any suggestions on what would be a comparable set of speakers? I haven't kept up with what is available since I bought the last ones. Obviously something that will handle my Pioneer Premier PRS-D4200F amp since I've blown my current set. It puts out 75x4 at 4ohm, but is underrated and is probably putting out somewhere in the mid 80s to low 90s per channel. I'm using my HU's active crossover so each speaker will be getting one channel's full power.
My cap is $400. Any help would be appreciated.

Update: I also love that the tweeters on my TS-C720PRS crossover perfectly at 2500hz. So I'd really love the tweeters of my new set to be able to play that low. It really raises the sound stage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Id recommend looking at some Focal V30's I have a couple friends with the tsc720's and i find they sound quite similar to the focals although the focals will give you more mid bass but the tweeters sound quite similar in my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the suggestion, but I can't find much info on the tweeter for that set. And the little bit I can find suggests that they need to be crossed over well above 3000hz. I've heard a few focals before and wouldn't say the sound of their inverted metal domes is similar to the stiff textile dome of the Pioneers I've got. I don't really like the sound of metal tweeters and soft silk ones lack a bit of crispness. I find stiff textile domes and ring radiators to be the best balance. Does focal make any non-metallic tweeters? I'll take a look myself real quick I suppose.

More suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just installed some Kicker SS65.2, the specs seem similar. The SS are not made any more, but the QS are around ~$500 online. Both have a big tweeter crossed at a fairly low frequency.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, I'll check it out momentarily. I know kicker has a good rep in the SPL world, but I try to stay on the sq/sql side of things. Maybe more sql because I love my IDmax. Do Kicker's components have good sound quality?

Anyway keep the suggestions coming I'm planning on ordering in the next few days.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Awesome, I'll check it out momentarily. I know kicker has a good rep in the SPL world, but I try to stay on the sq/sql side of things. Maybe more sql because I love my IDmax. Do Kicker's components have good sound quality?

Anyway keep the suggestions coming I'm planning on ordering in the next few days.
There is nothing spl about the ss or qs line! They are definitely SQ comp sets! They can get a little loud but not built around being an spl comp set. VERY warm sound (imo) I love those sets (probably the ss over the qs to be honest) Even the RS set is excellent sounding! Little louder and an extremely detailed sound!
If your building a set.....agree with this :)
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...08gti-mids-also-looking-complete-608-set.html

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
if you like the tweeters you have, keep em and just replace the woofers with some that will play up to 2500hz. (which will be most 6.5" midbass)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really looking for a complete set, woofers and tweeters, because I'm sure all the UV rays my tweeters get setting on the A pillars haven't been good to them. Plus JBLs are loud, but I haven't heard a set that has decent sound quality.

I'm looking at a few now. What does everyone think of the DLS Ultimate UP6i, MB Quart QS216, Image Dynamics CXS64 v.2, and Alpine SPX-17PRO?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I'm really looking for a complete set, woofers and tweeters, because I'm sure all the UV rays my tweeters get setting on the A pillars haven't been good to them.
that is your perogative, but highly doubt it. if they are silk, not gonna hurt em. if they are hard domes, no way in hell it will hurt them. was just suggesting an alternative :)

(not to mention that unless you drive and park with the windows open, car glass has been UV filtered for about 40 years)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
anyone have thoughts on these 4 component sets?
DLS Ultimate UP6i
MB Quart QS216
Image Dynamics CXS64 v.2
Alpine SPX-17PRO

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
anyone have thoughts on these 3 component sets?
MB Quart QS216- Great set.......mounting locations and tuning dependent of course (what isnt?) Not going to be beasts on the low end but very detailed mids!

Image Dynamics CXS64 v.2 I love this set (with the tweet on axis) (mids are VERY similar to the JBLs so maybe they dont sound good?:laugh:)

Alpine SPX-17PRO- this would be my first choice out of what you have mentioned. EXCELLENT sounding set all around with lots of options via the xover! The only thing I would really recommend with that set is some sort of small sealed enclosure for the mid....MUCH better results and power handling. Despite what some may say or think, you can get GREAT midbass from these when done right!

As usual you really need to just get out there and see what you can listen to! Some sets you have been "disregarding" are funny when you look at some stuff you end up listing (very similar). It sounds like you have a **** ton of brand association without actual experience which is both sad and dangerous (hopefully I am wrong here but it sure doesnt seem like it:(

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
if you are willing to spend a tad over your $400 limit, the Image Dynamics XS65 set is really nice too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MB Quart QS216- Great set.......mounting locations and tuning dependent of course (what isnt?) Not going to be beasts on the low end but very detailed mids!

Image Dynamics CXS64 v.2 I love this set (with the tweet on axis) (mids are VERY similar to the JBLs so maybe they dont sound good?:laugh:)

Alpine SPX-17PRO- this would be my first choice out of what you have mentioned. EXCELLENT sounding set all around with lots of options via the xover! The only thing I would really recommend with that set is some sort of small sealed enclosure for the mid....MUCH better results and power handling. Despite what some may say or think, you can get GREAT midbass from these when done right!

As usual you really need to just get out there and see what you can listen to! Some sets you have been "disregarding" are funny when you look at some stuff you end up listing (very similar). It sounds like you have a **** ton of brand association without actual experience which is both sad and dangerous (hopefully I am wrong here but it sure doesnt seem like it:(
Brand association and no experience? Sad and dangerous? don't jump to conclusions so quick guy. I've been installing car audio for myself, friends, and friends of friends for over 10 years. I've heard several JBL sets and have absolutely hated the sound of all of their tweeters. Don't try to bad mouth me just because I'm questioning the sound quality of speakers your trying to sell off. I'm sure they are loud and clear. Just not exactly what I'm looking for.
That said I do appreciate your input on the 4 sets above. So chillax and don't assume so much.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Brand association and no experience? Sad and dangerous? don't jump to conclusions so quick guy. I've been installing car audio for myself, friends, and friends of friends for over 10 years. I've heard several JBL sets and have absolutely hated the sound of all of their tweeters. Don't try to bad mouth me just because I'm questioning the sound quality of speakers your trying to sell off. I'm sure they are loud and clear. Just not exactly what I'm looking for.
That said I do appreciate your input on the 4 sets above. So chillax and don't assume so much.
Dont give reasons to assume. Like I said....you make it seem just like what I said! It has ZERO to do with what I am selling (I am always selling something so thats just not an issue!)
I dont care that you have had poor experiences with obvious install issues with products from jbl. Thats not my problem. I do however find it funny that you say that you have hated every tweeter considering they have really covered the spectrum of soft dome, hard dome, and everything in between and to no like any of them? Again, its fine, but clearly its like you said. You havent heard any of them that you liked (done properly most likely), therfore I would suggest staying away from placement driven tweets. Be it on or off axis specific. (thus making the spx a good choice since they are great either way) So its safe to say you have not heard the jbl 660s then? Again, it really seems like you are going on brand preconceived notions (ie....in all that experience you havent seen, heard, or used any kicker components??? Really?)

Officially unsubscribed! FYI there are only about 4k threads about all these sets you can go read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would go listen to all those sets you have installed or go to shops to listen though....most of the sets listed are easy to listen to at shops throughout the country!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dont give reasons to assume. Like I said....you make it seem just like what I said! It has ZERO to do with what I am selling (I am always selling something so thats just not an issue!)
I dont care that you have had poor experiences with obvious install issues with products from jbl. Thats not my problem. I do however find it funny that you say that you have hated every tweeter considering they have really covered the spectrum of soft dome, hard dome, and everything in between and to no like any of them? Again, its fine, but clearly its like you said. You havent heard any of them that you liked (done properly most likely), therfore I would suggest staying away from placement driven tweets. Be it on or off axis specific. (thus making the spx a good choice since they are great either way) So its safe to say you have not heard the jbl 660s then? Again, it really seems like you are going on brand preconceived notions (ie....in all that experience you havent seen, heard, or used any kicker components??? Really?)

Officially unsubscribed! FYI there are only about 4k threads about all these sets you can go read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would go listen to all those sets you have installed or go to shops to listen though....most of the sets listed are easy to listen to at shops throughout the country!
Wow, this guy is really defensive about JBL components. I guess when someone takes their hobby to seriously this the kind of crap that gets posted.

If you can't handle other people's opinions maybe a public forum is too much for you?
Maybe take a break to work through your superiority complex. Your rude comments and out bursts are unwelcome.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I like the Alpine SPX-17PRO set....Just a nice set for a variety of taste. But I wonder have you considered running raw drivers active?

However, if I was looking for a passive set I would seriously want to check out the Scan-Speak Discovery 820013 mobile audio componet set. Not a lot of feedback but the Discovery drivers seem to be good performers for much less money than the top REV and Illum lines.
Scan-speak Discovery 820013 6" Autosound System - PAIR: Madisound Speaker Store - $450

However, one could build a nice and similar set for less if going active:

Scanspeak Discovery 18W/4434G-00 woofer ~ $147.50 set Scanspeak Discovery 18W/4434G-00, 7" Midwoofer, 4 ohm: Madisound Speaker Store
Peerless Vifa XT25 Tweeters ~ $58.00 Peerless Vifa XT25 Custom Car Audio Swiveling Tweeter s | eBay
--------------------
$205.50 Total

Could pick up an Audio Control 24XS for $50-$100
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/car-audio-classifieds/112289-audio-control-pieces-bnib.html
Audio Control 24XS 24dB crossover w/phase control - NIB | eBay

1 - 20 of 36 Posts