DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, Yeah I posted this in the system design, but you SQ junkies hang out here more, and I need an answer sooner than later......:D

Here is the short and skinny. My system in my signature is tuning well. I am still sustaining goose bumps from how damn hard and loud that single 10" woofer is hitting. It literally has put my two 12" Memphis subs to shame in my truck:worried:

Down fall I NEED a wide range center, an actual speaker in the center of my dash. I NEED to stay 3" and below outside diameter, yeah total. Fq range somewhere around 500Hz-10,000Hz, but the more the merrier!!

Price (I am willing to go used, AND PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST LINKS TO CLASSIFIEDS): I wanna stay around 200.00 or less for the single speaker.

Thanks guys!! Looking for any and all suggestions!!!

P.S. I am running the center off its own amp processed by a H701, I know, happy times!!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Faital Pro 3FE20 3" Speakers - Faital Pro 3FE20 mid-high speaker has a wide frequency range from 100Hz to 20kHz and has a lightweight neodymium magnet - Faital Pro 3FE20 40 watt 3" has an efficiency of 91dB SPL for all high quality mid-high applicati

3.15"... close, maybe you could make it work.

Dayton Audio RS75-4 3" Reference Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm 295-380

The Faital Pro is the only 3" driver I can think of that has a small enough mounting flange to MAYBE fit in your location. That Dayton I linked actually has the SD of a 2" driver. Looks like you need to start looking at 2" speakers, & raise your high-pass from 300hz.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Faital Pro 3FE20 3" Speakers - Faital Pro 3FE20 mid-high speaker has a wide frequency range from 100Hz to 20kHz and has a lightweight neodymium magnet - Faital Pro 3FE20 40 watt 3" has an efficiency of 91dB SPL for all high quality mid-high applicati

3.15"... close, maybe you could make it work.

Dayton Audio RS75-4 3" Reference Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm 295-380

The Faital Pro is the only 3" driver I can think of that has a small enough mounting flange to MAYBE fit in your location. That Dayton I linked actually has the SD of a 2" driver. Looks like you need to start looking at 2" speakers, & raise your high-pass from 300hz.
Thank you fish. You have a very good point. So..............

Lets change the range!!! 500-10,000 again the more the merrier. I can get lower from mids in kicks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
There's quite a few actually. Some good places to start looking around at are Parts Express & Madislound. Tang Band, Vifa, & Aura Sound have some.

Approx 2" Fullrange: Madisound Speaker Store

EXTENDED RANGE CONE DRIVERS from Parts Express ship same day and come with 45 day money back guarantee. Free Shipping Available. Order free 10,000 product catalog.

A 2" driver that comes to mind that has been used in some installs around here is the Aura N2W2 "Whisper" with good results, but a rather low SPL rating. Aurasound NSW2-326-8A-120 2" Full Range with Solder Pads: Madisound Speaker Store

Another one that looks interesting & gets great reviews is this one... Tang Band W2-803SM 2" Extended Range Speaker Driver 264-805.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't sure on the SQ of some of them as I have never ran those companies, but I do have a pretty heafty PE catalog here next to me :D
If I were to expand in front of the OEM clock, make a hole in the dash for a larger speaker, would the suggestions remain the same? Need to get creative on making that look good, and oem.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I wasn't sure on the SQ of some of them as I have never ran those companies, but I do have a pretty heafty PE catalog here next to me :D
If I were to expand in front of the OEM clock, make a hole in the dash for a larger speaker, would the suggestions remain the same? Need to get creative on making that look good, and oem.

How large of a speaker are you willing to fit up there? :) The closer in size you can get to the size of your mid/midbass the better. Maybe even a coax?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How large of a speaker are you willing to fit up there? :) The closer in size you can get to the size of your mid/midbass the better. Maybe even a coax?
Yeah, that isn't happening. Utopia 3-Way has 7" woofer, 4" mid and some painful ass tweeter I need to dial in a bit more. I guess I will have to see I can fit up there, but again I am thinking 3" from the clock to defrost ducts is about the limit.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the whole SPL rating kicks my ass. Was looking at HAT..............for about 30 seconds, until I saw the measurements. Damnit. Little space.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The only driver that size that has a higher SPL rating is the Faital Pro(91db) I linked in my first post. It's a pro audio widebander, you just need to squeeze in an extra .15" :D

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Fish, is that Faital Pro great on the SQ?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Fish, is that Faital Pro great on the SQ?
I don't know from personal experience. I have a pair here, but I've never used them. There's a couple members on here that use them & like them.

Check out cvjoint's S2000 thread... he's using a pair of the 4" Faitals on each side, & he's taken some test measurements on them. There's also some modeling graphs he did of the 3" in there too.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
buy my L3SE's from Hybrid. This way you have a center, and a spare if needed.

BNIB, $400 shipped.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You could do that, but you won't get the frequency response from the L3's that you would from the Se's

The L3 is a dedicated midrange, whereas the L3SE is good up to about 17Khz.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could do that, but you won't get the frequency response from the L3's that you would from the Se's

The L3 is a dedicated midrange, whereas the L3SE is good up to about 17Khz.
Lowest fq on the seL3?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts