DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.
Here is my situation. I sold some of my equipment, and am now left with enough money and gear to attempt an active system. I wanted to gather some opinions and guidance first before I make any final decisions.
Here is what gear I am left with after the sale:

Headunit:
-JVC arsenal headunit
-Hifonics HFEQ Equalizer

Speakers + Amp:
-2 x Infinity Perfect 6.5 Components (6.5's, tweeters, passive x-overs)
-Hifonics Zeus ZXi150.4 (150w x 4 @ 4ohm, 300w x 4 @ 2ohm)

Subs + Amp:
-2 x Infinity Perfect 10dvq Subs (10", dual 4ohm)
-Hifonics Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D (Subs, 600w per sub @ 1ohm)

Now I have never done an active system before, however I really would like to attempt it after years of being teased with all the positive results I have witnessed.
What I would like to do, Is buy some 6.5" midbass drivers (CDT?) or even some 8" subs. I would use my current tweeters, use one set of my Infinity 6.5's as midanges, and then whatever I pick up (CDT's or 8" subs) for my midbass.

For a crossover, I was looking at the Hifonics HFXR. Hifonics HFXR 2-way / 3-way Active Crossover with Remote Bass

I am thinking cross over as follows:
Tweeters-8khz + up,
Midrange-315hz-8khz,
Midbass- 50hz-250hz.
And my Subwoofers (10") 40hz and below.

Now the questions I am stuck on:

1) Does this seem like I am heading in a decent direction?
2) Would the Infinity 6.5" that I have suffice as midranges, with 8" subwoofers for midbass? Or should I maybe go another route, perhaps with a smaller midrange driver?
3) Is it possible to run dual midrange drivers? (since I do have 2 sets of Infinity Perfect 6.5 comp's?)
4) Would you guys recommend leaving the Infinity Perfect 6.5 and Tweeters on the Passive Crossover, using the HFXR Crossover to make a 2-Way Active set-up?

Final details about the vehicle:
It is a 1988 Chevy 1500, Reg. Cab. I am building a completely custom interior at the moment. A custom one-off dash, console, door panels, kickpanels, a-pillars, headliner, etc. Basically the entire interior is custom. I will be adding provisions for the speakers as soon as I figure out the system layout. There is enough room to have basically any system layout possible.
I could fit 4 - 8" subwoofers in the door panels if I wanted, so 2 - 6.5"s will easily fit. The kickpanels can also house an 8" subwoofer in each, with plenty of airspace behind them.
This is the reason why I am thinking 'big', the options are practically limitless.

Well, sorry for the lengthy post. I just believe in providing all the information that I can when I am asking someone for help. And if I have left anything out, I apologize and if you let me know what I forgot to mention, I will respond asap. Thanks for any opinions and/or suggestions. Sorry if my questions seem dumb or if they make no sense, I have always stuck to one basic system for the past 9 years and now that I am building this custom truck, I am trying to learn more about audio systems to better improve in that as well.
Thanks again guys,

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
raise that sub channel...........you are well into sub-bass there. 80hz is a much better place to start. not to mnetion most 6.5" are not going to play down to 50hz with any realistic level. you also left a hole from 40-50 hz.

8khz seems a little high, but I have heard those infinties are way bright, so limiting them to super tweeter duty might help :D

if this is your first time with an active sytem, why not start off simple. 6.5" or 8" midbass up front and a tweeter (something that will play down to 3.5khz and sound good) then add your subs. keeping it simple will yield better results anyway IMHO.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
raise that sub channel...........you are well into sub-bass there. 80hz is a much better place to start. not to mnetion most 6.5" are not going to play down to 50hz with any realistic level. you also left a hole from 40-50 hz.

8khz seems a little high, but I have heard those infinties are way bright, so limiting them to super tweeter duty might help :D

if this is your first time with an active sytem, why not start off simple. 6.5" or 8" midbass up front and a tweeter (something that will play down to 3.5khz and sound good) then add your subs. keeping it simple will yield better results anyway IMHO.
Thank you for the response! I just wrote those notes down and I am going to take that into consideration now for sure! I wasnt aware I left such a hole there, definitely going to have to re-contemplate all of my c/o points and really sit down and think it through. Of couse I am sure that when people fist go active and start tuning things, it is going to be a few weeks before they can get satisfied and leave those dials alone, lol!

Yes this is my first active system, and I really do need to concentrate on keeping it simple. I have a problem with that though every time I think about the fact that the interior I am building is basically an empty canvas. With all the room I have, I am too tempted to try and build something wild..

That's why I am trying to think what the best way would be to utilize the equipment I already have (the 2 sets of Infinity components and subs). If I am going to spend any money, I would like to just spend it on some better midbass. These Infinitys are almost TOO bight (the 6.5's). They dont get as low as I originally had hoped they would. But this was back in 2005 when I had the money and lack of knowledge to not care as much!

I am thinking, both Infinity 6.5s per door, something in the kickpanels, and the tweeters off axis in the pillars? That way I can use what I have, and I could pick up some CDT M6+ for around $150. Thats not too bad really.. I still have an Infinity 4ch amp that I am not using (111w x 4). I dont know..
Like you said, I am better off keeping it simple!!

Maybe I should divert my mind to devising a way to fabricate the interior panels to be changeable... Like, make an enclosure that bolts to the inner door panel, and the speakers will mount to it. Then the door panel can have a removable trim panel that covers the speakers. So in the future, if I change the system layout, all I would have to do is cut holes in the enclosure and the trim panel. hmm..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After thinking the system over and doing TONS more research, I have changed my mind on a few things. I have always toyed with the thought of using Dayton audio equipment, but being an offroad guy, I never really dove that deep into audio systems.
The reason I am building this interior is because the truck has been non-op'ed and sitting on the side of the house for a couple years, and who knows when i will get around to building the engine and trans.
Since I have always been a fiberglasser (off-road fiberglass), I decided to do something crazy to the truck with all the materials I have left over from jobs. (I am also working on a custom 'glass one piece front clip, but that will be a different thread :)

Okay, so since I already have these two pairs of Infinity Perfects I will use them, at least for the time being. I would like to pick up some 8" Daytons for midbass drivers, and some 3" Daytons for the pillars. I will eventually be using some sort of 3 way Crossover. The subwoofers will just be crossed over on the amp. This will be my first attempt at an active 3 way install. I hope I dont dig myself into a hole..

Well in the picture below, you can get an idea of the space I have to work with. The sheetmetal behind the kickpanels has been completely reworked and cut away to make for an enclosure. If I mounted the speakes to the doors/kicks as is, they would have about 2" of clearance STILL behind their magnets and the cab (I made the panels alot wider for this reason).
Now my question is about placement: With 2- 6.5's and 1- 8" PER SIDE, where would be the best placement for each?
(ex. 8" in kick's, 2-6.5"s in door. Or, 1-6.5" in kick's, and the 8" and other 6.5" in door? etc) Any help on placement would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts