DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been running a set of alpine spx-177r passive and loved every minute of them but i blew out a mid yesterday. trying to find a replacement mid has been next to impossible so i am considering buying a new set of comps. anyone have any suggestions for a similar sounding set? i really, really loved the sound i got out of them but the midbass was always lacking imho and would like something with a little more.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that is a bit out of budget for now. tax time is just around the corner and i have a huge bill this year, so i don't exactly have a spare $300+ laying around. since i like the tweets so much i am thinking about maybe buying some new mids and going active.

i did in fact blow out one of my mids but luckily i had a spare from a 177a set that i bought long ago from someone on this board. threw it in and everything is fine but i am worried that due to age the other mid will go this season and leave me soundless up front again. i would like to have something to replace them with before it happens.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was hoping to keep it under $150 total for some replacement mids. i have the wire for going active ran and i am itching to try it but i haven't made the leap yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dr. Telepathy SQ recommended to me the Focal JM Lab's at $160 or for a more budget idea the Mach5 MLI's (about $75 shipped). His third recommendation was the set that you have (I think), so you know he's in the same ballpark as you in terms of likes and dislikes.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the suggestions. i'll do some research on them. like i said i love the 177r but they are lacking in midbass so i was hoping to find a replacement that is a bit better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts