DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a set of Mpyre 65M mids and would like to pair a tweeter with this set. I will be running a Memphis Belle amplifier on them (75wrms each). I listen to 99.8% rap/hip hop. I am looking for a nice soft dome tweet!

Looking to spend $300 or less. Looked at Focal TN52 (too brights IMO) and Morel MT23 (unsure).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
Do you have the processing to run active, or do you expect the crossovers on the amp to be enough?

I guess regardless of your response to this question, the answer will likely be "SEARCH" check out the review section and read up. There's a lot of information here on good tweeters.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I listen to a lot of jazz and other music with horns (sax, flute, trumpet, trombone, etc.) and have found the Image Dynamics NX30 tweeters to be an excellent fit for this type of music.

Fairly inexpensive also ($109).

They also sound great when I pop in some old school NWA :)

E

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have the processing to run active, or do you expect the crossovers on the amp to be enough?

I guess regardless of your response to this question, the answer will likely be "SEARCH" check out the review section and read up. There's a lot of information here on good tweeters.
I purchased the mpyre xovers to run the tweet through, but I'm not sure exactly how it is setup. I did search for the past 3 days and found MANY suggetions, but none really mentioned the music they tend to listen to.

Just grab some Parts Express $17.00 tweeters for Rap-n-Hip Hop ;)
I assume this is just a bump?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I listen to a lot of jazz and other music with horns (sax, flute, trumpet, trombone, etc.) and have found the Image Dynamics NX30 tweeters to be an excellent fit for this type of music.

Fairly inexpensive also ($109).

They also sound great when I pop in some old school NWA :)

E

Those ID's look nice! Being that I am a fan of ID (and the price!) I may have to try these out!

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
Those mpyre crossovers are designed for mpyre tweeters. You may be able to interchange them and get something that works, but you may not have very good results with any tweeters you buy. A passive crossover is specifically designed for the speakers that are intended for them, they are designed to be a piece of equipment that you can plug any ol' speakers into and have great sound.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Those mpyre crossovers are designed for mpyre tweeters. You may be able to interchange them and get something that works, but you may not have very good results with any tweeters you buy. A passive crossover is specifically designed for the speakers that are intended for them, they are designed to be a piece of equipment that you can plug any ol' speakers into and have great sound.
Seconded. Passive x-overs aren't frequency dividers, they interact with the driver (a 4ohm driver isn't 4ohms throughout its range). Generic passives sucks, designing your own is difficult (big learning curve) and even more difficult in the car audio environment (too many variables, home audio is way easier).

Active is way easier and even with a cheap $99 3-way active x-over you'll most likely get better results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had good experience with some of the higher end CDT silk tweets. I think their sound is not harsh and very detailed. Just my $.02

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a pair of NX30's and they probably would be ok for Rap and Hip Hop because they can handle a lot of power and get extremely loud. I'm running mine quasi-active with a midrange so they just have a 4.5uf cap in line and it works fine and gets extremely loud without any noticeable breakup.

However to be brutally honest if all you plan on listening to is Hip Hop you don't need a 300$ tweeter. With electronic music you really don't need all that extra detail and airyness an expensive tweeter will provide since there are no fingers plucking on instruments, bass players breathing or even real snare drums or cymbals crashing. From my experience electronic music is highly forgiving and can sound good with mediocre equipment. Sounds great on my system too, but I can't imagine spending that kind of money for that genre. I'd dump all my budget into the sub/amps and get a basic set of comps that can play loud...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts