DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the lazy :)

7" midbasses.

King of the 7" midbasses with respect to clean low frequency output is clearly the Extremis. Best performance at 50hz and up period, and by quite a large margin. You pay for it with a soft poly cone and crap efficiency though, Imo.

XXX... not a bad driver, but nothing really great either. Good bass output, but not as clean as the Extremis. Low inductance. Soft poly cone. Average distortion performance, but high bass output capable.

Seas G18RNX/P. Great budget driver. Distortion is slightly better than average. Good efficiency. High output bass capable. Smooth top end response.

Seas W18 Excel E001. Good driver. Crappy suspension with a huge forward bias. Lower than expected efficiency. Great low end frequency response for IB use in doors. You don't need a notch filter, or even a lowpass for this driver when used in doors. You won't hear a difference.

Seas W18NX. Kills the W18 Excel. Think of this as a G18RNX/P, with a bit more efficiency and bass output, but much lower distortion and a higher price tag. LE curve one of the best in it's class. BL curve near perfect.

Midranges:

Peerless exclusive 4". Pretty much best performer of the pack. It will play the lowest, with the highest output and cleanest performance. Rough upper end frequency response, not as nice as others.

A crapload of Tangband and Audax stuff. Varies from better than average to downright nasty. Good performers generally for the money.

CSS FR125S Nice mid. Way better top end extension and smooth response than the Peerless. Bass performance is better, but strangely not the lower midrange. It still beats all the others though.

Vifa trius. For those that want a midrange that has the top end response of a tweeter. Lower end performance has high distortion, but still good for such a small driver. Is it audible? I dunno, but it's significantly worse than the 4.5" drivers and Imo does sound "strained" if attempting to reach 200hz at 96db spl @1m.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Any idea where the Dayton reference line would compete with these drivers? If you were going to put a two way set together running active, what would be your suggestions? (Can't go over $300, lower the better). Not really an audiophile, just would like to get the cleanest sounding system I can get and not get to carried away with all the high-end, pricey, stuff.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Seas W18NX. Kills the W18 Excel. Think of this as a G18RNX/P, with a bit more efficiency and bass output, but much lower distortion and a higher price tag. LE curve one of the best in it's class. BL curve near perfect.
The specs say 88.5 for the G18 eff and 87.5 for the W18NX. Is the eff comment from your emperical data?

......and can you tell me if the "bumped back plate" be removed from the W18NX drivers to reduce the depth any?

I may swing for these and skip the G18s. Are they available now? :D

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I think everyone with the Dayton 7 or 8's loves them - 300Z, racer raul, and myself included. With ample power and big, deadened coupe doors, theyre very clean from 33Hz(!) up to 1500. I have some break up on the upper end on SH-CH vocals though, and I'd classify the 8's I'm running as more mid-bassy then midrange speakers. You can feel drum kicks from Cater Beauford on live DMB in your chest, I love it. Wish I could say I've heard any of the other DIY drivers - I've only heard PG Elites which were clean midranges, but low output was weak at best. For $40/ea, I couldn't be happier.

Just FWIW.

Thanks for the comparison summary npdang!

-aaron

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can't remove the backplate on the W18NX, just the rubber magnet boot. You can check the testing data I posted for info on the efficiency of all drivers.

Basically, for most people the G18's really do the job. They have a very high xmax (among the best), good efficiency, and a smooth extended top end response. They're also relatively cheap.

The W18NX is for those that have the install and tuning capabilities as well as the discriminating ear to take advantage of a lower distortion motor. The rising on-axis response also gives you better sensitivity in the upper end when used in doors.

I'd really like to get some data on the Peerless 830491 if anyone has one they can send me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
ArcL100 said:
I think everyone with the Dayton 7 or 8's loves them - 300Z, racer raul, and myself included. With ample power and big, deadened coupe doors, theyre very clean from 33Hz(!) up to 1500. I have some break up on the upper end on SH-CH vocals though, and I'd classify the 8's I'm running as more mid-bassy then midrange speakers. You can feel drum kicks from Cater Beauford on live DMB in your chest, I love it. Wish I could say I've heard any of the other DIY drivers - I've only heard PG Elites which were clean midranges, but low output was weak at best. For $40/ea, I couldn't be happier.

Just FWIW.

Thanks for the comparison summary npdang!

-aaron
That is what I was hoping you would say! It looks like no one has anything bad to say about the RS's and like you said, for $40 a driver, you really can't go wrong.

BTW, I just bought and listened to the new DMB cd in my 8454 I just installed. The deck is friggin awesome, what happened to DMB though? Not nearly as entertaining to listen to. Maybe it will grow on me.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
tryin said:
BTW, I just bought and listened to the new DMB cd in my 8454 I just installed. The deck is friggin awesome, what happened to DMB though? Not nearly as entertaining to listen to. Maybe it will grow on me.
Lol, last DMB show I was at I walked out on. I think the band is a little tired. I just listen to old soundboard shows :cool:

-aaron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.