DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took car out of storage and I'm getting no sound. HU is Alpine CDA9833. I've got dash, door and rear speakers all 2-way wired to an Alpine 4 channel amp. I've got dash and doors wired to the front channel, rear shelf speakers to the rear channel. My sub is going through an alpine Sub amp. Remote wire from deck to 4 channel and then to sub amp. This set up has been working flawlessly for over ten years. This year it decided to give me problems. So the sub amp turns on, I can tell by the square blue light right on top. The 4 channel light starts as very dim, then flickers and then goes off. I am thinking that the amp is toast. However, if the sub amp is fine, shouldn't I at least be getting the subwoofer frequency sounds?
The head unit seems to be working fine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just took car out of storage and I'm getting no sound. HU is Alpine CDA9833. I've got dash, door and rear speakers all 2-way wired to an Alpine 4 channel amp. I've got dash and doors wired to the front channel, rear shelf speakers to the rear channel. My sub is going through an alpine Sub amp. Remote wire from deck to 4 channel and then to sub amp. This set up has been working flawlessly for over ten years. This year it decided to give me problems. So the sub amp turns on, I can tell by the square blue light right on top. The 4 channel light starts as very dim, then flickers and then goes off. I am thinking that the amp is toast. However, if the sub amp is fine, shouldn't I at least be getting the subwoofer frequency sounds?
The head unit seems to be working fine. Any ideas?
Sounds like a bad ground to me. Measure resistance from chassis to the ground lug on the amp. Measure what voltage you are getting at the positive terminal.

If you have a distro block, measure there too.

If you have an inline fuse remove it and put it back in.
It really sounds like a connection somewhere weakened over time while the car was in storage.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply and I will certainly check what you suggested. However, shouldn't I be getting sound from the subwoofer seeing that that amp is working?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thank you for the reply and I will certainly check what you suggested. However, shouldn't I be getting sound from the subwoofer seeing that that amp is working?
Not necessarily. The light requires virtually no current.
it may not react the same as the other amplifier would during a very low voltage / amperage situation.

instead of flickering and shutting off it just may only illuminate the light and not do anything else.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been over ten years since my last install, on what setting do I put my multimeter to check the ground?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it turns out that it's the big fuse in the engine bay near the battery. Got 13v going in one way and 2.6v coming out the other side. The blade is NOT cracked though. If it's toast should it not be reading zero on the other end?

·
Registered
449 Posts
So it turns out that it's the big fuse in the engine bay near the battery. Got 13v going in one way and 2.6v coming out the other side. The blade is NOT cracked though. If it's toast should it not be reading zero on the other end?
Not necessarily. They can partially fail. Most likely it has some corrosion in it. Easy fix!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At the moment it's a 70 amp fuse. My 4 channel has two 15 amp fuses and my sub amp has two 20 amp fuses. So should I get another 70 amp or go a little higher? I believe my power wire is 4 gauge. Its at least as big as a dime if not a hair bigger. Thanks again.

·
Registered
449 Posts
At the moment it's a 70 amp fuse. My 4 channel has two 15 amp fuses and my sub amp has two 20 amp fuses. So should I get another 70 amp or go a little higher? I believe my power wire is 4 gauge. Its at least as big as a dime if not a hair bigger. Thanks again.
You shouldn't go any higher, if anything lower.
The purpose of the fuse is to protect the wire.

4ga Oxygen free copper is rated at 70 amps.
If your wire is copper than that's perfect.

If your wire is not pure copper then the amp rating would be lower, and you'd want to use a lower amp fuse to match.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perfect and one last thing. I removed the two 15 amp fuses on my 4 channel to check them. It was a huge PITA to get them out and now I don't have enough force to press them back in. Any tips or tricks? Hammer? Loll

·
Registered
449 Posts
Maybe they are keyed to only go in one way?
If not, maybe give them a go with a wire brush on the contacts. That will only improve the connection and they may go in easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts