DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Sundown Audio SD4 subwoofers for half price

17K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  barrett.alen 
#1 ·
#2 ·

These are nothing new. It’s from their yard sale. I’d read the fine print first.

#5 ·
Thought it was worth pointing out! Nothing to see hear folks. Move along. Fail to see the bargain!

Reactions: SQ_Bronco
#8 ·
Would I do it, no. I have seen a few guys that bought them and it ranges from worked fine, not sure what is wrong to you can hear the tick or noise. I think if you like to tinker with or build a speaker, but even then I think it is expensive even at half off. I would buy one if they sold them at parts price or something like that.

#9 ·
I’m curious...has anyone modeled these subs in WINisd?

I’m currently building a box for under the rear seat of my Nissan Frontier and one of the SD4-12’s was on my short list of subs to use. Unfortunately when I model the sub in WINisd the response doesn’t look very good. I get much better results modeling the JL tw3.

The SD-4’s have neo motors and an underhung coil...so they’re with looking into...but they model like $hit.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong or have incorrect parameters.

#10 · (Edited)
I thought so too. In the recommended box sizes they model with high Qtc, 10 - 0.85 to 0.96 and 12 - 1.16 to 1.194, of which Dickason wrote “in the vicinity of 1 tend to have a warm, if somewhat robust, quality that audio marketing people describe as “salable”... greater than 1.2 or so, however, should be regarded as undesirable”. Maybe people run them in larger boxes or EQ the hump down? I see Ge0 used ~1 cuft, so Qtc ~0.8.

#11 ·
I have purchased multiple items from the yard sale. I have never had a single issue and the vast majority of the products (my experience and others I know) are in working condition but may have a smudged dust cap or excess glue. To this day I still can’t anything wrong with a sub I bought from there. Another has the slightest coil tick that can only be heard at a very low volume with your ear 3 inches from the cone.

I don’t see the issue in selling these? They aren’t going to ship them back and definitely don’t have the time to rebuild them. People always want a deal so it fits the bill sometimes.

#12 ·
For everyone all butt hurt saying they are a slimy company , they are being 100% transparent about it and you can still get a recone kit for the woofers, and still come out cheaper then a brand new one but . They have been doing the yard sale for years. I’ve yet to see anyone complain about stuff they’ve received if you don’t wanna possibly recone a woofer then no it’s not for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
For everyone all butt hurt saying they are a slimy company , they are being 100% transparent about it and you can still get a recone kit for the woofers, and still come out cheaper then a brand new one but . They have been doing the yard sale for years. I’ve yet to see anyone complain about stuff they’ve received if you don’t wanna possibly recone a woofer then no it’s not for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
take it easy francis. i didn't see a single post calling them slimy. go back under the bridge and have a drink.

#13 ·
These could also be Amazon Market Place returns from Woofers Etc. The manufacture gets screwed when someone orders from Amazon and then decides to return. You can't resell it as new.

Watch Steve Meads video on the subject regarding his distortion analyzers. They can come back either good as new, destroyed, or as a different items all together. Amazon does not check nor discriminate. They just give the buyer a refund regardless. Merch is returned to Sundown. That refund comes out of Sundown's pocket.

#17 ·
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I know there are people who sell irregular items (usually cosmetic issues, maybe some extra glue, scratch on the basket/magnet/etc., dent on the dust cap, etc.).

But using the SMD example, he is getting stuff back and he is testing it. If he has stuff that is no fault found, he might sell it as open box. But if he is getting stuff that is not working right, why would he mix it in with stuff that is working right but has cosmetic issues?

To me, having someone test a speaker and know something is wrong with it... then put it in a pile with items that don't have anything wrong with it functionally just cosmetic issues then having them say "welp, we're not sure what's wrong with it; buyer beware" when they do know something is wrong with it is just CYA to me.

I wouldn't buy stuff under those terms. They know they are selling bad stuff and hiding behand a disclaimer.

#19 ·
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I know there are people who sell irregular items (usually cosmetic issues, maybe some extra glue, scratch on the basket/magnet/etc., dent on the dust cap, etc.).

But using the SMD example, he is getting stuff back and he is testing it. If he has stuff that is no fault found, he might sell it as open box. But if he is getting stuff that is not working right, why would he mix it in with stuff that is working right but has cosmetic issues?

To me, having someone test a speaker and know something is wrong with it... then put it in a pile with items that don't have anything wrong with it functionally just cosmetic issues then having them say "welp, we're not sure what's wrong with it; buyer beware" when they do know something is wrong with it is just CYA to me.

I wouldn't buy stuff under those terms. They know they are selling bad stuff and hiding behand a disclaimer.
You should call them!

#20 ·
Why would I? If they have to look through a pile to find me a good one (because I called) than maybe instead of one pile they should make two piles (minor and major). Seems like they know which ones have major issues. Seems like they should rebuild those instead of selling them.

You should call them!

#15 ·
So the real question is who’s going to call sundown and ask about the yard sale??

Reactions: Ge0
#18 ·
I saw the yard sale when I was looking at the SD-4s. I did not want to take the chance in having to rebuild them so I went with full price SD-4 12s. It did not bother me that they sell possibly non working speakers although I do question the pricing. To me the cosmetic but working subs should be at one price and the non working or having obvious coil damage should be at a lower price than the cosmetic ones.

On a side note. The SD-4s seem to be nice speakers. I only installed them on Saturday so I do not have a lot of listening time yet. I can say that they extend well into the 20hz range without issue. Their slimmish depth allowed me to fit 2 12s down firing under the rear seat of my truck.

#21 ·
Sundown moves so much product that I’m sure they don’t care to take the time to sort out the “bad” from the “cosmetic flaw” ones. That requires more manpower, more time, more money, etc. You can already purchase B stock from them. It’s just another avenue to get their products if you want to save money (odds are in your favor)

#22 ·
Not sure I'm following here. So they don't have the time to separate the bad from the cosmetic but at the same time they sell B stock now so it shouldn't be a problem (so clearly they are testing stuff and know what's wrong).

Also, anyone who has a warranty department tests equipment that comes in under warranty to make sure there is no fault found and if it is covered under warranty. For woofers that's pretty easy. You test for continuity, you test for a voice coil unwinding, stuff making weird noises, etc.

So a blown woofer is being tested, found to be blown then being sold as "maybe it's blown, maybe it's not blown"? That seems very odd.

And Harman (JBL/Infinity/Harman Kardon) sells refurbished items. So volume doesn't have much to do with it.

#23 ·
Why would they spend time refurbishing a blown driver that they get for cheap from China. They started the yard sale as a way to clear out all this damaged or unsellable stock and it was super popular and took off. They decided to keep doing it and now even made a website for it (used to be on CACO only). If it’s popular as is, why would they change it? Sure they could filter the bad from the cosmetic bad but again that takes time, updating stock constantly, etc and to them I’m sure it’s not worth it if the system already works great.

#24 ·
If you know something is bad (and if you are getting warranty returns, or are doing QC on stuff coming from China you probably know) don't sell it as "we're not sure if its' bad or not". Seems like a weird way to piss people off or give people a bad experience (or build weird word of mouth). Your selling defective product you know is defective and acting like it isn't.

#27 ·
If everyone is so concerned about the yard sale, why not call them and ask about the YARD SALE!

#28 ·
That's a great idea! Can't believe nobody has done that yet! LOL

Reactions: clange2485
#29 ·
If anyone does call please let us know what sun down has to say about the matter.

#32 ·
Sounds like a good deal - anyone call them yet??

#35 ·
They tell you they test every sub and amp so they know if it has a cosmetic issue or a real problem. My understanding is these yard sale subs are not what they call b stock which is it functions fine but doesn’t look great. I could be wrong but always thought they had basically two different piles

#36 ·
Yard sale and B stock are two different things. Yard sale has a real problem where as b stock is only a cosmetic flaw and works like a stock.

Reactions: clifff150
#40 ·
I've bought a pair and they were delivered in the triple cardboard boxes what seems like directly from the manufacturer. I absolutely love the fact that I can buy Sundown equipment for deeply discounted prices and have yet to receive a dud. I got 3 of the SD4 D2's to put in my Frontier crew cab. Not to mention many other subwoofers and speakers/amps.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.