DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noobie here! :sombrero:I have one Sundown SD-2 10D2 (rated: 500 rms Dual 2-ohm) in a sealed enclosure that will be powered by a Soundstream Rubicon 1.1000d amp. (specs below) I've read that Soundstream overrates the RMS watts of their amps and that Sundown Subs can easily handle more... so I'm wondering if it would alright to wire the SD-2 10D2 for a 1 ohm impedance or would that be pushing it too hard? Thanks.

Soundstream Rubicon Series Monoblock Class D Car Amplifier
RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 600 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 800 watts x 1 chan.
1 ohm: 1000 watts x 1 chan.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Download WinISD and model it. It's free and not too difficult. Since you're running sealed Xmax is your ultimate limiter not the thermal limits of the subwoofer. In a properly ported box you'd no doubt be able to push more but a 10" subwoofer in a sealed box is definitely going to be limited by excursion. The SD-2 10 only has 12.5mm of Xmax, maybe more if you're willing to push it but that's not a lot in terms of excursion. You'll probably be safe anyways since most amps in real life because of installation inefficiencies don't push their rated because of the voltage drop of the electrical system.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Why not run the sub at 4ohm? U'd already be giving it more wattage than it's rated for, and that should be enough to push the sub to it's mechanical limit. And that would mean that it wouldn't play any louder, even w/ more power.

The other potential benefit of more power is improved transient response, but I don't think there will be much to gain in this situation since the sub is already overpowered. Besides, dropping from 4ohm to 1ohm will reduce the amp's damping factor, reducing any benefit u may have gained.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts