DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Sundown SFB amps are on sale

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Jroo 
#1 ·
I've been looking for a cheap mono amp with bass knob & wide frequency range that dyno'd well. The Sundown SFB series seemed to fit that description.

It looks like woofersetc has them on sale via their site, maybe ebay + amazon or other retailers too.

Disclaimer- I know little about Sundown amps or woofersetc reputation. (woofersetc has some complaints related to it I think, so maybe buy from somewhere with protection). There are SFB dynos on youtube. AFAIK something like the SFB 1000d has been $239 for the past ~6 months and is now $189

#4 ·
I picked up a pair of the SFB8Ks last week through a local dealer/amp repair shop who owed me some store credit from a failed repair. A single one is about 1.2dB down from Soundigital 12K I had been auditioning (at .7 ohm DCR rising to about 1.4 ohm) and the pair of them each driving 1.4 ohm rising to around 3 ohm are = the number I was getting out of the soundigital.

The pros:
Small footprint, solid feeling pots and terminals (compared to Brazilian full bridge), good efficiency/cool running, adequate power and ground terminals for their power ratings (Brazilians almost always require 2:1 terminals bought separately), and Sundown 2 year warranty.

Cons, mine have a bit of a turn on thump, you can't strap them, and there's no phase dial in case you need to precisely gain match two of them. Also they hold DC voltage across the speaker terminals at all times (even after the amp is powered down) which IMO is sketchy especially with the big ones.

Really if you're in the "a watt is a watt" camp you could do a lot worse. These weren't my first choice but like I said, the repair shop/dealer owed me a bunch of money for a repair they had to eat so I was trying to make it less painful for them then just demanding a wad of cash and Sundown is well known for being top notch on honoring warranty, and they're big enough that if this whole line of amps went RD3250V2 they could either make good or strongarm the buildhouse into making good.

I saw a guy at a show last weekend with two of the 3000W ones running his doors. Personally I find those doors loaded with PA mids always sound absolutely awful but the guy using them seemed to really love them.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.