DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing my front end Rockford Fosgate 2-way component speakers and have already mounted the mids in the doors.
Next step is to place the tweeters but I am worried that the extreme heat and high level of UV from our bright middle eastern sunshine might damage the tweeters if I mount them on the dash.

Do speaker manufacturers like Rock Ford Fosgate take these things into account when they intergrate certain materials into ther speaker designs?

Obviously I can help shade the tweeters from harmfull UV rays with accoustic cloth but what about the heat of the sunshine through the glass? I've had ciggarette lighters explod in my car before from the heat:eek:

Thanks all & happy easter!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It is something to be concerned about, especially in Dubai. Put some grill cloth over the tweeters to block direct sunlight. RF does take this into account, but those are extreme temperatures. Some home audio tweeters have melted before. Whether or not car audio manufacturers use glues with higher melting points is anyone's guess.

Do you have lots of problems with dashes cracking?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reassuring my thoughts on this subject.

Regarding the cracked dash boards....
I drive a 10 year old Land Rover Discovery which does have a few cracks in the dash's plastics but nothing drastic. I try to treat it & other plastics with Armoural every few months...I don't know if it really works but it can't be bad for the plastic either! After ten years the plastics tend to become more brittle anyway.

I think I'll wrap the tweeters with an accoustic cloth just to add a bit of protection.

Maybe someone else can add to this?

Thx.

S.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
You could also look into tinting your front windshield. While I wouldn't recommend doing a dyed tint to make your windshield darker because that is dangerous at night, there are clear films available that block UV rays which is pretty much was causes the damage.

Here's an example

FormulaOne - Performance Automotive Film

There's also one called AIR Blue but I couldn't find a website for them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for reassuring my thoughts on this subject.

Regarding the cracked dash boards....
I drive a 10 year old Land Rover Discovery which does have a few cracks in the dash's plastics but nothing drastic. I try to treat it & other plastics with Armoural every few months...I don't know if it really works but it can't be bad for the plastic either! After ten years the plastics tend to become more brittle anyway.

I think I'll wrap the tweeters with an accoustic cloth just to add a bit of protection.

Maybe someone else can add to this?

Thx.

S.
It can reduce the life of the tweeter. Tent your Windows. It Blocks a Tons of UV rays

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Its about the same sun position and UV effects as here in Vegas, I'd imagine.

I have often wondered similar things, streaky. To that effect, I've chosen pre-designed components (and then ran them active) instead of using separate drivers just as a rule. Also I try to avoid anything with foam in them, unless it is UV stabilized of course. Typically butyl is pretty safe on its own.

I do agree with possibly tinting your windshield. There are pros out there that can do it right, definitely in your area since it is a huge issue I'm sure. Some vehicles came pre-built with a massive UV barrier built right into the laminated glass that is required of all vehicles in this day and age. Sometimes you can see this with polarized lenses, it looks like a more purple or blue windshield w/ your head turned a certain way.

·
Registered
44 Posts

I have often wondered similar things, streaky. To that effect, I've chosen pre-designed components (and then ran them active) instead of using separate drivers just as a rule. Also I try to avoid anything with foam in them, unless it is UV stabilized of course. Typically butyl is pretty safe on its own.

I do agree with possibly tinting your windshield. There are pros out there that can do it right, definitely in your area since it is a huge issue I'm sure. Some vehicles came pre-built with a massive UV barrier built right into the laminated glass that is required of all vehicles in this day and age. Sometimes you can see this with polarized lenses, it looks like a more purple or blue windshield w/ your head turned a certain way.
Thats Correct I have seen the newer cars with a slight tent and is made for Blocking UV that color at an angle is kinda cool too

·
Registered
76 Posts

Newer glass does do a good job of blocking some UV light. I would recommend a collapsable windshield shade at the least. Also tint as they have mentioned already. I would also try to park in the shade if possible, I actually walk a lot farther then I need to just so I can park in the shade, it makes a huge difference.

If shade is not an option then you may want to look at one of those solar powered window vents for your car. Walmart around here sells them for less than 20.00us. They actually do an okay job. I live in Houston and we have some hot summers, not quite as hot as yours but hot none the less. I have made it a point to find ways to keep my car cool.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some very valid points...thx.

After thinking this through I will probably go for the base of the front door pillars. The tweeters wouldn't be in direct sunlight there.

Tinting of glass is only allowed upto 30% here (for expats) & I already have this on all windows...front glass window tint is not allowed..period (unless you are an Emirati National)
I make great use of the collapsable sun shades already and know a few tricks on how to keep the inside of the car cool.
Luckily for me I have a private parking spot under a car port which helps alot towards reducing in-car temperatures.

Updates will follow & thx again.

S.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Some very valid points...thx.

After thinking this through I will probably go for the base of the front door pillars. The tweeters wouldn't be in direct sunlight there.

Tinting of glass is only allowed upto 30% here (for expats) & I already have this on all windows...front glass window tint is not allowed..period (unless you are an Emirati National)
I make great use of the collapsable sun shades already and know a few tricks on how to keep the inside of the car cool.
Luckily for me I have a private parking spot under a car port which helps alot towards reducing in-car temperatures.

Updates will follow & thx again.

S.
Couldn't you have purchased the car from a National who already had it done? You're saying because of who you are, they change the rules?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The window tint would be inspected every year at registration time. Also...there are spot checks in the streets where cops have densitometers to check the darkness of peoples windows...if you fail then you have to remove the tint film on the spot and pay a fine.

We sometimes call it the "Un-United Arab Emirates"...one rule for locals and another for expats.

It's no biggy...we learn how to get around things one way or another.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts