DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Rogue SV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Nissan Rogue and cannot sacrifice my spare tire as I work in remote rural areas without cell coverage frequently.

I would like to install an Acoustic Elegance IB12 in the passenger side wall of the rear hatch area.
I have room for the driver and the vehicle cabin vent is directly behind this area. I plan to relocate the vent to the other side, enlarge the opening it’s mounted in, seal all other open areas around driver with baffle and fiberglass inside the panel areas.
my question is: Using proper rainguard in the open area that vents to the exterior, will sealing those other areas and dampening all exposed metal be enough to work effectively? Anyone have any recommendations on ways to block/seal the areas around the panel that lead to other interior/exterior areas/panels?

TIA

Automotive design Automotive tire Tread Tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,279 Posts
Plan sounds doable. Peter from PS Sounds has a YouTube channel is probably the biggest authority on ib I know of. Watch some of his videos. You need at least half of your cone area to be cut in your vehicle. Isolate the front from the rear as close to 100% as you can. For the irregular surfaces maybe something like bondoglass to fill the voids. Tape up any metal and use a releasing agent so it’s removable. Bolt your mount securely in several spots. Be prepared for really killer subbass!!!

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Rogue SV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I subscribe to Peter’s channel. He’s a beast of IB!
I think that’s the route I’m going with. I know I’ll have to spend some time installing Resonix CLD and CCF in the cavity to keep vibration to a minimum.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like this idea. Driving a 4runner myself, short of cutting out the rear floor, I'd be in a similar situation for an IB setup. I've fantasized over dropping in an IB18 in the cargo with a false floor but not as anxious for the actual work involved, not to mention cost, to do it right.

Reactions: wrongchannel

·
Premium Member
4,107 Posts
the Rear cabin vents usually vent out behind the bumper so its pretty well protected from the elements. your primary concern for that area is the area that transitions to the Bpillar. You can make an enclosure with the back wall portion around the cabin vent to insure that the vent is within the confines of the enclosure. You can see that the area actually extends up to the seat belt area.
What I do in my vehicles is cram as much insulation in to the rear quarter panel areas to help absorb as much noise etc...as possible. you can do that and it will dissipate bleed through into that area.

what you want to do is feasible, but the difficulty is that the whole back area looks like shared empty space from where the cabin vent is up to the seat belt. If you dont care about the rear seat belt, then eliminate it and seal the whole area off.
but having it stay functional is where this gets more complex.

Reactions: Se7en

·
Registered
2006 Accord 4 dr Alpine 149BT PG X100.4 X1200.1 (2) JLw6v2
94 Posts
Someone posted this on FB just last week. Looks perfect

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Flash photography Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Premium Member
4,107 Posts
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

This is in my wife's X3 which won Iasca Adv Amateur Class at Finals as well as the 3X Kick Off eveny plus Iasca and Meca Install Championships.
Sub vents through the cabin air vent outside behind the bumper.
It's a 1" birch baffle with Corian baffle on top to make it as dead and non-resonant mounting surface as possible.
Factory cover slides back in place for a 100% OEM appearance.
Every panel was recovered for a perfect match

1 - 9 of 9 Posts