DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I’m running Dynaudio Esotar E110 and E650 in 2-way active. I’m toying with the idea of adding an Esotar E430 midrange for 3-way, or instead swapping the E110 tweeter for a high end wideband such as the new upcoming Brax Matrix in 2-way.

I do know that 3-way will always be better than a 2-way system regardless of drivers, however widebands in 2-way active are supposed to sound pretty impressive, and much better than a 2-way active system with a tweeter.

Wideband would also be a more economical option as I wouldn’t need an extra 2 channels of amplification.

What are peoples thoughts?

·
Vendor
21,110 Posts
3 way

·
Premium Member
GILLDON AUDIO
527 Posts
Go 3 way!!.... Always
Going from an Esotar 2 way to a wide band set up would be a step backwards. You will miss those 110s SO much, and then from there you'll go back to the 110s and then add the 430s.... Save your self the disappointment and frustration and just add the 430s.

Sell the Helix DSP PRO MK2 and pick up a Helix P SIX ULTIMATE.

·
Registered
722 Posts
yeah its your money and the wideband would work - but you are sooo close to an amazing setup it will be really rewarding to just step up and have a fully active Esotar line up.
Its like asking if you should take out the somewhat cute girl next door or Jessica Alba cuz you're worried about spending an extra $150 on dinner with Jessica.

·
Vendor
21,110 Posts
Go 3 way!!.... Always
Going from an Esotar 2 way to a wide band set up would be a step backwards. You will miss those 110s SO much, and then from there you'll go back to the 110s and then add the 430s.... Save your self the disappointment and frustration and just add the 430s.

Sell the Helix DSP PRO MK2 and pick up a Helix P SIX ULTIMATE.
Wouldn't be a step backwards, but it would be a shame to go from having a tweeter that good, to having a wideband

·
Vendor
21,110 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
From his first post:

“…swapping the E110 tweeter for a high end wideband such as the new upcoming Brax Matrix”.

I thought Brax was supposed to be the be-all end-all, creme de la creme when it came to aftermarket car audio? I was asking (jokingly) if you still thought it was a shame to go from a very nice Dynaudio tweeter to not just any wideband, but one made by Brax.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Crosstrek Premium
2,247 Posts
I'd try the wideband, first. Cost of admission is low and you just might like it.
If you don't like them, you're not out much. Sell them and recoup most of your investment.
That being said, you probably already know what you really want to do. If that is a 3-way, then don't waste the time, money and energy to do anything other than that.

·
Vendor
21,110 Posts
From his first post:

“…swapping the E110 tweeter for a high end wideband such as the new upcoming Brax Matrix”.

I thought Brax was supposed to be the be-all end-all, creme de la creme when it came to aftermarket car audio? I was asking (jokingly) if you still thought it was a shame to go from a very nice Dynaudio tweeter to not just any wideband, but one made by Brax.
Crem de la creme, idk. Havent used em as they are not out yet. I don't even know if they are a wideband or just a midrange. The new GL2 is just a midrange, not a wideband, and if the new matrix 2" is similar, he's already lost the battle so to say. Speaking of which, again, use the right tool for the job. My thoughts that pop into my head every single day that I read here, I think that people put way too much emphasis on what equipment they are using, and "doing what others on the forum did so obviously its good". Everyone here seems to ignore that every car is different, every situation is different, and everyone's goals are different, and most certainly, not everyone has the same level of qualifications to even tell what genuinely sounds good and what sounds good only relative to what they have heard. People need to focus more on learning how the vehicle is going to effect their end result, and how to best combat the vehicle. This dude has tweeters with a 1" diaphragm, but a 4.25" faceplate. Only is very rare cases would this actually be a great option. The size of the faceplate really limits him on speaker location and angle in relation to the boundaries of the vehicle. I say 3-way above because I know it'll offer him a better chance at getting a good end result, but who knows. Going with a wideband, that's also a gamble. We dont know what vehicle it is. We don't know if he will be able to get it on axis, or get it to work correctly in a dash location firing off the windshield. We don't know if a gauge cluster will wreck havoc on the imaging/staging, we don't know if he can fit them in the sails, we don't know what he can do install/fabrication wise. I think people need to put more of an emphasis on learning how to "read" the car and what it needs in order to sound good as opposed to finding out what other people think about an arbitrary list of gear.

·
Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,431 Posts
Crem de la creme, idk. Havent used em as they are not out yet. I don't even know if they are a wideband or just a midrange. The new GL2 is just a midrange, not a wideband, and if the new matrix 2" is similar, he's already lost the battle so to say. Speaking of which, again, use the right tool for the job. My thoughts that pop into my head every single day that I read here, I think that people put way too much emphasis on what equipment they are using, and "doing what others on the forum did so obviously its good". Everyone here seems to ignore that every car is different, every situation is different, and everyone's goals are different, and most certainly, not everyone has the same level of qualifications to even tell what genuinely sounds good and what sounds good only relative to what they have heard. People need to focus more on learning how the vehicle is going to effect their end result, and how to best combat the vehicle. This dude has tweeters with a 1" diaphragm, but a 4.25" faceplate. Only is very rare cases would this actually be a great option. The size of the faceplate really limits him on speaker location and angle in relation to the boundaries of the vehicle. I say 3-way above because I know it'll offer him a better chance at getting a good end result, but who knows. Going with a wideband, that's also a gamble. We dont know what vehicle it is. We don't know if he will be able to get it on axis, or get it to work correctly in a dash location firing off the windshield. We don't know if a gauge cluster will wreck havoc on the imaging/staging, we don't know if he can fit them in the sails, we don't know what he can do install/fabrication wise. I think people need to put more of an emphasis on learning how to "read" the car and what it needs in order to sound good as opposed to finding out what other people think about an arbitrary list of gear.
features
  • Enormously broadband frequency response even off-axis - therefore ideal for use as a broadband speaker without an additional tweeter

·
Vendor
21,110 Posts
features
  • Enormously broadband frequency response even off-axis - therefore ideal for use as a broadband speaker without an additional tweeter

but on the same page... "High-end midrange driver"... Is this a wideband or a midrange? Frequency response could tell us, but Audiotec Fischer doesn't publish the frequency response of their speakers, unfortunately. Personally, I won't do a wideband system without seeing frequency response on the driver. But again, see the rest of my comment. We have no real way to suggest anything with the info given.

·
Registered
128 Posts
^
I'm not sure where all these car audio "rules" came from but you can't universally apply them when the equipment, vehicles, listeners physical characteristics, music selection and goals are all different.

That being said, I don't personally agree that a 3 way is always better than a 2 way but the big question is what is missing now? What are you hoping to gain? Have you gotten the most benefit out of the equipment you have?

There might be an answer that doesn't involve spending a lot more money or scrapping things that are working pretty well. I think too many throw in the towel too soon because they believe someone in a completely different set of circumstances found the solution...or so they read. Read, not heard, and what they would've heard is the result of tuning more than the names on the boxes they bought.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is a great post. It's more words and likely better written than I would have, but I had similar thoughts when I read the OP. As someone with widebands, I highly endorse them...in the same car, used for the same goals I do. Your final decision should rest on what you are trying to achieve, what the vehicle's limitations are, and what challenges you're willing to overcome or concede. If you have specific questions related to those, I'm sure many here will offer their advice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
but on the same page... "High-end midrange driver"... Is this a wideband or a midrange? Frequency response could tell us, but Audiotec Fischer doesn't publish the frequency response of their speakers, unfortunately. Personally, I won't do a wideband system without seeing frequency response on the driver. But again, see the rest of my comment. We have no real way to suggest anything with the info given.
Scroll down a bit:
frequency range400Hz - 20,000Hz

It’s a wideband

·
Vendor
21,110 Posts
Scroll down a bit:
frequency range400Hz - 20,000Hz

It’s a wideband
Sure, but a number on a spec sheet doesn't make this easier to suggest. Look, I'm a huge Audiotec Fischer plan, but I'm not using that as a wideband until I see a frequency response chart, period. Im also not suggesting a wideband to someone who may or may not benefit one. I would generalize that a wideband with a midbass is better than pretty much any traditional 2-way system if all things are equal. But again, there's not much to go off here besides "should i go wideband instead of tweeter"... maybe?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Im also not suggesting a wideband to someone who may or may not benefit one. I would generalize that a wideband with a midbass is better than pretty much any traditional 2-way system if all things are equal.
These 2 sentences are contradictory. I've seen you say before that you would never advise a midwoofer and tweeter over a midwoofer and wideband 2 way setup. So...I've been looking at widebands based on your previous statements.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts