DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Vendor
21,113 Posts
These 2 sentences are contradictory. I've seen you say before that you would never advise a midwoofer and tweeter over a midwoofer and wideband 2 way setup. So...I've been looking at widebands based on your previous statements.
Yes. But he already has a tweeter. Just add a midrange unless it's just not an option. But tbh, someone using this level of gear, I'd doubt it's not an option. Problem is optimizing the setup while using a gigantic tweeter.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I mocked up a full face tweeter template and placed it around my vehicles for an hour or so one time.
I was like "nope". And those E110's are actually a little larger than 4"

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sure, but a number on a spec sheet doesn't make this easier to suggest. Look, I'm a huge Audiotec Fischer plan, but I'm not using that as a wideband until I see a frequency response chart, period. Im also not suggesting a wideband to someone who may or may not benefit one. I would generalize that a wideband with a midbass is better than pretty much any traditional 2-way system if all things are equal. But again, there's not much to go off here besides "should i go wideband instead of tweeter"... maybe?
Ended up buying Dyn 430’s for full Esotar 3-way active

·
Registered
968 Posts
Speaking of rules, here is a joke I heard that applies.

Daughter sees mom cutting a roast, before she puts it in the roasting pan, she cuts off the ends of the roast.

She asks her mom, why do you cut the ends of the roast off? Mom replies "that's how my mom did it, lets ask her".

So they go to grandma and ask "Why do you cut the ends off the roast Gradma?". Grandma replies "that's how my mom did it, let's ask her".

So they go to great-grandma and ask "Why do you cut the ends off the roast Nana?"

Nana replies "To fit the ****ing roasting pan".

Lots of "to fit the ****ing roasting pan" stuff that passes off for rules, especially in car audio.

Juan

^
I'm not sure where all these car audio "rules" came from but you can't universally apply them when the equipment, vehicles, listeners physical characteristics, music selection and goals are all different.

That being said, I don't personally agree that a 3 way is always better than a 2 way but the big question is what is missing now? What are you hoping to gain? Have you gotten the most benefit out of the equipment you have?

There might be an answer that doesn't involve spending a lot more money or scrapping things that are working pretty well. I think too many throw in the towel too soon because they believe someone in a completely different set of circumstances found the solution...or so they read. Read, not heard, and what they would've heard is the result of tuning more than the names on the boxes they bought.

·
Registered
2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
1,657 Posts
A well tuned 2 way wideband can sound excellent. Better than a lesser tuned 3 way.

Plus, be honest. Us older types can't hear much above 14k. Go try a real hearing test. I can't hear ANYTHING 15k and up, you can turn that **** up loud....nada.

So I have zero use for a tweeter.

Reactions: BEAVER

·
Registered
88 Posts
A well tuned 2 way wideband can sound excellent. Better than a lesser tuned 3 way.

Plus, be honest. Us older types can't hear much above 14k. Go try a real hearing test. I can't hear ANYTHING 15k and up, you can turn that **** up loud....nada.

So I have zero use for a tweeter.
I was driving behind my co-worker on tuesday and as we pulled up to the red light i could hear his brakes squealing. So yesterday i let him know that and he says no their not. So i pull out a dog whistle app with all different frequencies and he couldnt hear any of the higher ones. Early 50s metal head with hearing damage, pretty crazy stuff.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts