DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I inherited my father's 2011 f150 and I'm thinking of making it my daily driver for next 5 years, coming from a 2016 vw gti.

My current system in gti:
Stock headunit into DM608
Arc Audio Xdi 1100.5
German Maestro SV6509 2 way active setup
JL 10 TW3 D4 Subwoofer

I bought a Kenwood Dmx1057 for the f150 and I'm thinking to swap everything over but maybe run tweeterless with a wideband mid up on the dash in pods. I've never heard this in person but I'm a fan of the idea.

OR

Keep my tweeter and add a mid to go 3 way active. I would need a 2 channel amp for the tweets in this scenario.

I'm open to ideas and gear recommendations, trying not to spend over 1k for extra gear.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

· Registered
664 Posts
One seat tune or two? Unless you're able to get widebands on-axis, you're better off playing them into the windshield, negating the beaming issue at the expense of stage stability.

That head unit is quite capable, with basic DSP and 3 way crossover functionality built in. Using the 250hz low pass on the woofer channel as the high-pass for a midbass speaker, it would be easy enough to use crossover(s) built into amplifiers to do the final split between midbass and subwoofer. You'd need a true midrange to be able to play down to 250hz well.

· Registered
427 Posts
I say start with the 2-way and see how you like it in this new vehicle. Spend the money on sound deadening, trucks typically need a ton to get even remotely quiet. Then if you're still not happy or just want to try something new give the wideband or 3-way a shot. That's my $0.02 worth.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a one seat tune. I'm thinking to still install the dm608 because i have it. It will be easier to tune on the laptop rather than the kenwood screen too.

Thanks for your help!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be placing them on the a pillar with pods that are adjustable like the picture I attached. I was looking at the Audiofrog gb25 and the hybrid audio L3SE 3.7 inch.

· Registered
664 Posts
Seems to me like you can't go wrong with the either one of them. Start off running it as a wideband and if you feel like you're missing out on the high end, add the tweeter into the mix. On axis, unless you really like the sparkle, you likely won't miss them. If you're anything like most of us, you can't hear that high anyway. If you were able to fit a bigger mid, say 4", then there would be more value in a true 3-way.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My midbass speakers are convertible. Would it matter if the tweeters were mounted on the midbass in the factory door location? The mid range would be on the dash mounted on axis. Would this mess up the sound stage?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.