DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow readers, I have terrible vibration issues that are robbing my system of midbass and bass from my door JL speakers due to wild vibrations coming from the front doors. They vibrate and resonate like crazy. And rattling of course. I do have generous amounts of dynamat in the doors, but the holes are not covered nor is there any material stuffed in the doors (particularly up high by the window). What are some of the best ways to control these resonance issues that doesn't involve metal fabrication of a garage full of tools??? I know my system can sound wildly better. I just need to be the only thing that's rattling around the car. I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You can put some ccf between the door panel and the metal of the door. Wrap ccf around the door lock rods.

Are your midbass speakers mounted to the door panel or the metal door

·
Registered
755 Posts
You don't need a garage full of tools, but you do need to get those mids mounted as solid as possible.
Visit Home Depot and Walmart, and be creative.
Along with the suggestions from previous post, you will be a going in the right direction:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can put some ccf between the door panel and the metal of the door. Wrap ccf around the door lock rods.

Are your midbass speakers mounted to the door panel or the metal door
CCF? Does that stand for closed cell foam or something like that? Is there a specific kind to get? Does it get rid of moisture effectively since it will undoubtedly get wet inside the door. What about sealing all the holes? Or do you stuff it with so much "CCF" that it effectively seals them? Assume I know nothing about this (pretty close to the truth), and provide details as if to a child ;)

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure what the maxima doors look like, but I found that a sheet of MLV between the inner door skin and the door card (panel) effectively seals the entire door at one time and is quite easy to do for the beginner. I outlined how to do this in the following thread, about half way down the first page.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion-no-question-dumb/120065-potentially-dumb-deadening-question-pics.html
That looks promising. One other question though. I have heard (and felt) that the air space at the very top of the door (where your elbow would rest if the window were open in other words) is obviously a terribly hollow and resonant space. What is the best way to fill that? I also get terrible rattling right by the very top back part of the driver side front door. Ideas for that? It doesn't seem like the MLV would address that specifically. And where do you get your MLV?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
that space is not going to resonate, there is too many curves in the metal to allow for panel vibration at the corner of a door like that. All you need to stop panel resonance is 25-30% coverage with CLD Tiles on the large flat metal areas of the doors outer skin, and the inner skin if it has large flat areas that are not creased. Simply tap it with your knuckles and if it vibrates after each tap then you need to apply some CLD TILES to that area.

MLV is 1/4" think and 1.5lbs per square foot, so no air is going to get past it when used as a solid barrior inside a door. If you have enough room, you can add a layer of 1/4" or 1/8" CCF between the MLV and the inner door skin.

Contact Don at Sound deadener showdown for the best prices on both of these, I needed mine when he was moving, so I purchased mine from Second Skin and it was not cheap, but certainly a good quality product.

Read through his site for some great information on the subject.
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts