DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at replacing the system in my 2018 Buick Regal Sportback w/o the Bose System. The local audio shop who did the work in my last car recommended:
  • Component speakers in the front doors (6.5" in the bottoms and tweeters in the tops)
  • Coaxial speakers in the rear doors (also 6.5")
  • An amp with separate DSP or combination amp/DSP
I am thinking of not adding a sub because of the car being a hatchback and there really being no good place to put one. Also, is the DSP really needed? He said that it would be because of the signal processing being tied to the factory speakers in the head unit and using frequency response. He is supposed to be giving me a quote for specific equipment this week.

There is a speaker in the center of the dash that just seems to be used for phone calls and chimes, but I'm not sure. I can't find any specs on it online.

I am looking to get the best bang for my buck and I'm hoping to keep it under $1000, but I'm willing to go higher if I need to. If anyone could offer any suggestions, I would be grateful. I was thinking Kicker or Polk because they seem to have the best frequency response, but I am open to anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With labor preferably, but I don’t want to go too cheaply if that’s not going to get me anything.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bang for your buck will be achieved by having a DSP. Absolutely go for it. Something like the $150 Dayton dsp will tie into factory high level inputs and help your speakers sound their best through eq and time alignment, huge factors in car audio.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I do not see how it would be possible to have a system as you described with labor anywhere close to $1,000, try closer to $2,000-2,500 for anything decent with quality labor. You do not want to go with a cheap dsp unless it is used from a reliable seller. The Dayton dsp may seem like a gem to some but also a pain to others. Between software glitches and reliability issues, not the best route imo. The Kicker combination is a good product but there is better out there. I would recommend going used or new through the classifieds section. You will get the best value.

·
Registered
102 Posts
For a budget minded build an occasional software hiccup is worth the $150+ saved. And if you don't touch the software after its set there will be no issues. Haven't heard of any reliability issues at all.

In any event if Kicker is what the shop sells and knows how to tune with, and it's in your budget, it'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Spend $125 more and get a truly reliable dsp like the minidsp:

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Implying that other dsps are unreliable with no evidence
There are quantities of evidence on this forum if you search about the dayton dsp. Search minidsp and you will see very few posts about reliability issues.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't think it's such a universal truth that "just search" applies... Burden of proof and all that. Not sure what you have against the Dayton specifically

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have to agree with @ANS that I have seen more complaints about the Dayton DSP-408 than just about any other DSP (besides maybe the DSR-1). :) I've seen a LOT of noise-floor issues, issues with input/output jacks being mislabeled, really bad noise issues when the bass/volume knob is used and even noise issues if 12v power is used (some people have had to connect it to a 120v inverter in order to stop noise issues!).

Nothing is free - you typically get what you pay for. There is a reason with the Dayton is so inexpensive - it most likely uses lower-quality components and/or has less strict QA than more expensive DSPs.

However, there are also people that use it and are very happy with it.... but it seems more "hit or miss" than other DSPs.

Obviously, this is "anecdotal" evidence, but.... where there is smoke, there is fire.

It's an inexpensive option if it's all that you can afford or want to spend. If you can spend more, I personally would. A DSP is not the place to "cut corners", IMO.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I don't think it's such a universal truth that "just search" applies... Burden of proof and all that. Not sure what you have against the Dayton specifically
I do not have anything against it, for $150, it performs like a $150 dsp. There are several posts about reliability issues with it on the forum and on other forums. For some, it will take care of their needs, but in my opinion, there are much better options on the market even in the same price category, like the minidsp.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have to agree with @ANS that I have seen more complaints about the Dayton DSP-408 than just about any other DSP (besides maybe the DSR-1). :) I've seen a LOT of noise-floor issues, issues with input/output jacks being mislabeled, really bad noise issues when the bass/volume knob is used and even noise issues if 12v power is used (some people have had to connect it to a 120v inverter in order to stop noise issues!).
Bass/volume knob? Are we talking about the same DSP?

Most people who have had their hands on the 408 agree it performs way above its budget :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ah got it. Seems like an easy solution is to just not use it, and use the bt module instead. Plus you get the bonus of Bluetooth streaming direct to the DSP. Can Minidsp do that?

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Ah got it. Seems like an easy solution is to just not use it, and use the bt module instead. Plus you get the bonus of Bluetooth streaming direct to the DSP. Can Minidsp do that?
If you purchase a universal Bluetooth receiver, yes. Any dsp can do it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Idk of any Bluetooth receiver that outputs coax spdif for a Minidsp? Even so, I'd worry about the noise floor of adding sketchy bt receivers vs one integrated to the DSP

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
For $1000 (including labor):

MiniDSP C-DSP 6x8 - $275
Infinity KAPPA-60CSX - $229
Infinity KAPPA-62IX - $168
Infinity Kappa Four - $179
or
JL Audio RD400/4 (refurb) - $210
or
JBL MA704 - $220
NVX XIV45 - 4 Channel RCA Cables - $20

Pay your best friend / neighbor / dog +/- $100 to install it...

= $1000

·
Registered
102 Posts
The guy is already taking it to a shop, not having his dog install it. Maybe skimp on some of the components so you have some cash for install ... Could save $125 on the DSP easily ;) but I'd go with whatever the shop carries and supports

1 - 20 of 64 Posts