DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I just put a car pc in my Mitsubishi Evo X and now that the source is pretty good I am looking to replace the stock speakers. In stock form the car has a set of tweeters in door pods near the mirrors and 6.5 woofers in the 4 doors. The car pc send its signal to a JBL MS-A1004 (can't link so look it up on crutchfield) in the glovebox and I used two channels for the front (there is a crossover somewhere in the car) and the other two for the rear. The amp is 100W per channels with a nice DSP integrated in it.

This is a daily driver as wheel as a weekend track\autocross car so I don't want to add silly levels of sound deadening, a trunk sub, or another amp. These car have absolutely no room in the trunk and I like to be able to carry things in it.

My idea was to replace the fronts with a decent set of components, and put either 1 or 2 subs in the rear doors. I've looked at this a bit and I saw as much people that had good results as ones that said it sucked so I am looking for feedback on this. Keep in mind I am not looking for mind blowing sound quality with the system, but right now it's really bad (one of the worst recent stock cars I heard). I am not looking at super high levels of bass either, I don't want to shake the windows only to get a better rounded sound.

Now if this is feasible what would be a good sub for the rears (ideally the subs would be as thin as possible but I can always fabricate something not too complicated and there is a decent amount of space in the doors)? Should I go with two? I was also wondering what would be the best way to setup the channels and crossovers for this kind of system? My guess was to use the active crossover to setup a highpass for the front on channels 1,2 then use a passive crossover to setup the tweeter and mid. The subs would be on channels 3,4 with the active lowpass. Is there a better way to do this?

I think that's about it haha, I listen to pretty much anything from classical music to (very little) hip-hop. Like I said earlier I am trying to get the best sound possible out of this but I am still realistic I don't expect this to blow my mind, I only want it to be fun to listen to.

Edit: for budget I don't mind paying something like 100-150 per speaker if it will sound substantially better

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I've not heard a late model Evo stock sound system but I have heard a former owner's opinion that the stock sound system is horrible. You already have a very nice amplifier so that's a good start.

For a simple but very nice sounding speaker package I suggest CDT Audio. The HD-6500M set would take care of the front doors with a passive crossover, which you would power off the front amp channels with a high pass filter, as you asked about. Since you don't want a traditional large subwoofer in the trunk this will help fill in the bass up front more than a "regular" component set.

The back doors would be filled with a pair of HD-6M subwoofers. Normally I would recommend a 2 Ohm subwoofer for more power from your amp, but your JBL amp has a regulated power supply that makes the same power at 4 Ohms as it makes at 2 Ohms.

The HD-6 speakers are oversized, so you will want to make or buy 1/4" mounting baffles from MDF or a cutting board.

For sound deadening, I would at least get a couple of door kits or contact Don at www.sounddeadenershowdown.com to get a few CLD tiles and some CCF.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts