DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy, against my advice, ordered this piece.

https://tacotunes.com/category/toyota-sequoia/

It's basically a drop in piece that let's you eq the factory system and adds rcas out for subs.

It sits in front of the factory amps.

It's basically just an eq that gives you a few more bands of control.

I know next to nothing about this company. Has anyone heard of them or used this piece?
Any advice on hooking it up? Is it noisy?
https://tacotunes.com/category/toyota-sequoia/

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh he is gonna be really bummed out.

The sales pitch says that each peice is specifically designed for the Toyota that it goes to and gives 100 percent integration with no wire cutting or anything.

It looks like they may have just had some harnesses made up to fit the boss unit.

I feel bad for him because he just doesnt know any better. If you read about it it sounds like a great piece. I knew the second I saw it something was not quite right. No way this basic eq can do what's being claimed.

·
Slowpoke
1,350 Posts
Oh he is gonna be really bummed out.

The sales pitch says that each peice is specifically designed for the Toyota that it goes to and gives 100 percent integration with no wire cutting or anything.

It looks like they may have just had some harnesses made up to fit the boss unit.

I feel bad for him because he just doesnt know any better. If you read about it it sounds like a great piece. I knew the second I saw it something was not quite right. No way this basic eq can do what's being claimed.
I believe both units use phoenix connectors, but they do sell harnesses for something closer to a plug & play experience.

Ya, they do toss in a little BS:

So what exactly does the ReCurve EZQ do for my audio system? The short version: the ReCurve EZQ takes the audio signal coming for your factory head unit, restores the frequencies that have been reduced /detuned by Toyota, then supplies a balanced preamp output to your amp(s).

The Tacoma version's even better :tongue3:

After years of customers asking us how to keep their stock head unit and add an amp(s), the EZQ was developed over a 4 year period to work with Toyota’s head units and their internal digital signal processor (DSP). Each vehicle manufacturer has a little “twist” to their DSP and how they will “tune” the factory stereo. This product was developed with your Toyota in mind.

It's special for my Toyota :D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
While I’m not an Audiocontrol fanatic in anyway, I do recognize that they have a reputation for producing quality audio products. I don’t know about this piece in particular, but they’ve been producing models similar in form and function since the 80’s. I’m fussing the other units in this thread were knock-offs of this Audiocontrol model or one very similar.

Audiocontrol isn’t junk!

I could, of course, not have a clue what I’m talking about.

·
Slowpoke
1,350 Posts
While I’m not an Audiocontrol fanatic in anyway, I do recognize that they have a reputation for producing quality audio products. I don’t know about this piece in particular, but they’ve been producing models similar in form and function since the 80’s. I’m fussing the other units in this thread were knock-offs of this Audiocontrol model or one very similar.

Audiocontrol isn’t junk!

I could, of course, not have a clue what I’m talking about.
I'm having a tough time pinning Audiocontrol. For sure they definitely at least used to make nice stuff but at one point I found myself asking 'have they gone the way of MB Quart, etc'?

Then I saw these at CEDIA this year and started thinking maybe they're stepping up their game

Maybe they still make nice stuff and just keep a budget line around? Either way, cross branding that EQ, if that's what they're up to, does not help their image any.

·
Registered
834 Posts
So who’s the rebrand? We automatically assume boss is the original but could it be that this is a rebrand of an audio control unit?

I also know that build houses can use similar boxes and make adjustments to the internals. I had people fussing at me about a fb drive euphoria dsp saying it was junk like the old precision power units and while they looked similar they are not junk and dB drive did change some internals. Anyway, I agree some biscuits have been buttered a bit heavy by taco tunes about this unit but that does not make it a piece of crap or specifically a rebrand of boss, but it could be a rebrand of audio control.
Or even another brand that has not come up yet. Just saying.

·
Slowpoke
1,350 Posts
So who’s the rebrand? We automatically assume boss is the original but could it be that this is a rebrand of an audio control unit?

I also know that build houses can use similar boxes and make adjustments to the internals. I had people fussing at me about a fb drive euphoria dsp saying it was junk like the old precision power units and while they looked similar they are not junk and dB drive did change some internals. Anyway, I agree some biscuits have been buttered a bit heavy by taco tunes about this unit but that does not make it a piece of crap or specifically a rebrand of boss, but it could be a rebrand of audio control.
Or even another brand that has not come up yet. Just saying.
Totally. Could be that AC got this one right and these others are hidden gems riding a license or whatnot.

They're all using the same board. Some tiffany, a jumper across the turn on it/out perhaps. Different internals? 5 bucks says nope.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Your probably right. But I wonder why these companies talk about their product being in the work for a while. Makes me question truth, or if it’s just bs to make something sound good.
But sometimes there is good stuff out there that has a crap name. Lol. That’s what makes these forums great and a way to gather knowledge to get at the truth.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just dint see how this piece is in any way engineered specifically to work with Toyota. Also, it came with zero wiring.
That was the whole selling point for my friend.
He was under the impression that this piece is a direct drop in with specialized harnesses. Idk.

I think he should have just grabbed a jl twk or something similar. At least then there would have been a real level of control from a proven piece of gear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts