DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been the type of person to do things my own way, but yet follow "directions" to the letter. Being this way, I have always used a small battery to check that a speaker's -/+ are marked correctly, then hook everything up in phase. That's it, since it's hooked up correctly, then that's how good it sounds. Period, end of discussion.

Here's why I felt I needed to do something: I felt that I could localize my speakers too easily in the front. I also felt the 6-1/2" drivers lacked a richness in the 80-200 range, and that sometimes when certain freq were being played (2k-4k?) I would get strange phase issues as I turned or moved my head around (very annoying).

Well, I have heard many times that you should always mess with phase in a car because the environment can actually change the real phase to your ears, etc., but never tried it.
So yesterday I tried it. HOLY SH!T!! What a difference! I simply swapped the leads coming out of my right side crossover going to my door speakers (entire front stage). Everything I mentioned above...FIXED! Just like that. I feel so stupid I have never done this before. When I get more time I will do a complete phase exercise to see what the best combo is, but for now, my system got about 50% better just by doing what I said.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Welcome to the world of experimentation... ;)

I had the same problem when I did my active system... all drivers were hooked up correctly, but something was "wrong".

Flipped the leads on the near side woofer and *boom*; all was right with the world.

There are cheap phase checkers out there that can help you with making sure everything is in phase, but your ears are the best tools for your install.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
You flipped a mid woofer? Was the fronts out of phase in the first place? If you turn off your sub how does the mids play now?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You flipped a mid woofer? Was the fronts out of phase in the first place? If you turn off your sub how does the mids play now?
Yes, flipped the passenger side midwoofer and tweeter. No, everything was PHYSICALLY in phase, I changed one side to to be PHYSICALLY out of phase. That's the point though, now they are ACOUSTICALLY in phase.

No sub right now. Have an IDQ12 that's going in soon, but no sub at all right now.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Reversing the phase of one of my woofers fixed the same type of problem you were hearing. I knew I had wired everything in phase but I had less midbass than with the previous speakers. Depending on the type of music I switch the phase of my subwoofer 180 degrees with my head unit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Now that's cool, I wish I had that capability!
You can do that with easily head units like the 9887. Changing the phase of a sub woofer is easier than changing phase of any other components in your can imo. Just switch the leads.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Reversing the phase of one of my woofers fixed the same type of problem you were hearing. I knew I had wired everything in phase but I had less midbass than with the previous speakers. Depending on the type of music I switch the phase of my subwoofer 180 degrees with my head unit.
Ok... I don't know why you would do that. Your sound is either Acoustically IN phase or OUT of phase. Phase doesn't care which music is being played. :rolleyes:

Kelvin

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
It really is fascinating to hear the difference that swapping polarity can make sometimes, but it is still only a band-aid.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It really is fascinating to hear the difference that swapping polarity can make sometimes, but it is still only a band-aid.
I don't understand what you mean by that. There was nothing wrong with my equipment or with my install. Just sometimes there are circumstances where the phase gets reversed due to environmental conditions, etc.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Just so everyone's aware, there are many things that can affect phase.

First, crossovers do. Second order (12dB/octave) 2-way crossovers tend to give you outputs that are 180* out of phase, so you generally fix that by running the drivers opposite in phase. Though this is actually already corrected for in some crossovers. 3-ways and 4-ways are not immune, but they are more complex.

Another thing is that differences in distance between the drivers will make the waveforms of the drivers hit your ears in different ways and affect each other in different ways and can sometimes be improved by changing the phase between them.

Phase is a good idea to play with, in my opinion, if you're really looking to get the most out of your system. It may be tough to do by ear when you're working with a continuous phase knob, though.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
What about T/A?
T/A works on phase too. Using a phase switcher like the PPI piece will get you pretty much the same result.

Kelvin

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curious, anyone know if the MS-8 corrects phasing issues when it auto-calcs the system?

I think Rockford's new offering does...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.