DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, I'm in the market for a component set and have been set on Type X Pro's for a while now. However, I keep reading again and again that while they are pretty good, they are just decent compared to what's out there for the money. I'm not looking for DIY, I'm looking for out of the box components that I can run passively and possibly eventually run active. Rainbow has caught my attention, but it's so hard to get good solid reviews about any of their speakers in particular besides "anything made by Rainbow is excellent". Can anyone offer some insight as to which set of Rainbow's may be better than the Alpine's and are somewhat near their street price ($300-350). I'm also open to hear other suggestions as well. I listen to metal so I am looking for a set that will give me good midbass response and I prefer an aluminum tweeter. Thank you for your help.
-Daniel.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I herd alot of reviews out there about the spx. But have you tried focal. I alway find them my go to for reconmending. However alot of people say the tweeter is a bit harsh, and its true. Buh with the right tuning it can be tuned down abit. They have alot mid bass, especial if its in a sealed encloser corectly.

On the other side about rainbows. I never herd them, but i was looking for them awhile back before i found the focals. Even now when im thinking of upgrading i still see people say you should look into rainbow or hertx. In the end no oppion matter sides yours. Buh at the price your looking at your entering the higher end brands....... so try to find a shop or someone aorund to listen to there. If you lived in the okc area i would defintaly let you listen to them ;)

·
Registered
398 Posts
i heard great things about k2p but what can i get for around same price range from focal thats comparable to k2p?
the k2p are hard too beat...... buh going with the the k2 speakers arent so bad i have kf

·
Registered
109 Posts
so you are saying the kf would out perform in (loudness and clarity and quality) the alpiness? which other set would you recommend maybe for around 300-350 maybee 400

·
Registered
398 Posts
so you are saying the kf would out perform in (loudness and clarity and quality) the alpiness? which other set would you recommend maybe for around 300-350 maybee 400
im not going to say they willl for sure.Becasue i never herd them before. However i herd the kr2 focal were pretty close if not better then the k2p an tey are about 430 on ebay. I herd the reg kr an they sounded amazing.

As far as my kf goes. Its oout dated its 5 years old, but hell they sound really nice. It's really clear, and can get pretty loud .

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I wouldn't talk you out of the Type-X Pro. :p

If you were planning to run active, I may point you to a variety of drivers to look at, but passive, the Type-X Pro provides the most adjustable passive x-over on the market. The tweeter and woofer are both really good pieces of hardware. It seems like an obvious choice really.

Now it is of course not the only option around, so feel free to have doubt and look around.

One major issue in choice is the type of sound you're looking for. Everyone has their own personal preferences and are looking for an exact sound. Along with that, there are goals for output levels, limitations in install, and so on. There will be a product out there that will function best and sound the way you picture in your head. What product that actually is, I do not know. I just like the Alpine because the drivers are quite good and that the passive x-over is very adjustable, making it fit most installs very well.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I wouldn't talk you out of the Type-X Pro. :p

If you were planning to run active, I may point you to a variety of drivers to look at, but passive, the Type-X Pro provides the most adjustable passive x-over on the market. The tweeter and woofer are both really good pieces of hardware. It seems like an obvious choice really.

Now it is of course not the only option around, so feel free to have doubt and look around.

One major issue in choice is the type of sound you're looking for. Everyone has their own personal preferences and are looking for an exact sound. Along with that, there are goals for output levels, limitations in install, and so on. There will be a product out there that will function best and sound the way you picture in your head. What product that actually is, I do not know. I just like the Alpine because the drivers are quite good and that the passive x-over is very adjustable, making it fit most installs very well.
*thumbsup* i wish i could hear the type x. was thinking to get that or the sl for her

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I own them currently and I can offer some feedback here. First-off, if you are forced to run passive, I think this is the set to have. The adjustability alone puts them in a special class.

Now, I run active, so let me evaluate a little deeper. I LOVE the tweeter. I think it will be with me for a long, long time. I love the ring-radiator design, the lack of coloration, the detail and clarity, and the way they have almost zero sibilance or any other kind of distortion I can hear. The swivel cup idea works decently, and they look very nice mounted up in the sill panel area. Be careful with the grille as it is fragile and easy to dent while pressing the tweeter into its cup, however!

The woofer does not impress me. During the same listening sessions I always use for tuning and testing, the woofer made mechanical cacophony early and often. I backed the crossover down to around 90hz and set it steep, and that stopped the popping, but to keep them from sounding strained I had to go to 100hz. Right at that point I knew I had the wrong woofers for me, but I've made do with them for now since I have other things to spend money on. They sound fine quality-wise, but they just don't play very deep in my doors. Not compared to what's been in there before anyway.

They don't have what I want in a woofer, so eventually you'll see these things for sale here on DIYMA I'm sure. But, just the woofer. The tweeter is a keeper and that's that. In fact, I think I'm going to purchase a set of TS-C720PRS components and sell the tweeters and crossovers on here later, and make what I feel is probably the ultimate hybrid, the PRS woofer and the PRO tweeter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I own them currently and I can offer some feedback here. First-off, if you are forced to run passive, I think this is the set to have. The adjustability alone puts them in a special class.

Now, I run active, so let me evaluate a little deeper. I LOVE the tweeter. I think it will be with me for a long, long time. I love the ring-radiator design, the lack of coloration, the detail and clarity, and the way they have almost zero sibilance or any other kind of distortion I can hear. The swivel cup idea works decently, and they look very nice mounted up in the sill panel area. Be careful with the grille as it is fragile and easy to dent while pressing the tweeter into its cup, however!

The woofer does not impress me. During the same listening sessions I always use for tuning and testing, the woofer made mechanical cacophony early and often. I backed the crossover down to around 90hz and set it steep, and that stopped the popping, but to keep them from sounding strained I had to go to 100hz. Right at that point I knew I had the wrong woofers for me, but I've made do with them for now since I have other things to spend money on. They sound fine quality-wise, but they just don't play very deep in my doors. Not compared to what's been in there before anyway.

They don't have what I want in a woofer, so eventually you'll see these things for sale here on DIYMA I'm sure. But, just the woofer. The tweeter is a keeper and that's that. In fact, I think I'm going to purchase a set of TS-C720PRS components and sell the tweeters and crossovers on here later, and make what I feel is probably the ultimate hybrid, the PRS woofer and the PRO tweeter.
That's very helpful. I know the tweeters and crossovers are excellent, it's just the mixed reviews I've had on the woofers that are causing me to be skeptical....I've thrown around the idea of some ED 6.5" woofers in the rear location of my coupe to compensate and cross my comps off a bit higher like 120hz. I don't want to throw off staging, but I think that frequency range might just be low enough to not draw the stage backwards. If that idea sucks, then maybe I should look into a set that will excel on the low end.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've got a DLS iridium 6.2 set I could sell you in that price range.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I really like Pro tweeter as well. If you don't like the mid, sell it here or on ebay and keep crossovers and tweeter. I have not heard complete set, but I am hooked on their tweeter. BTW, I am pairing it with Focal K2P mid, active 2 way.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Do you have to run active if you use a different mid with the alpine crossover/tweeter?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really like Pro tweeter as well. If you don't like the mid, sell it here or on ebay and keep crossovers and tweeter. I have not heard complete set, but I am hooked on their tweeter. BTW, I am pairing it with Focal K2P mid, active 2 way.
I just picked up an H701, so I have the availability to go active. I'm planning at first to start with the pros passive, and eventually add another amp and ditch the crossovers. Then I could grab a better woofer. What would anyone suggest? I always forget, but doesn't the scan/vifa driver that the type x is based off of perform better?

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
After owning the PRO's for some time now, I can say with conviction that the woofer is just fine, after breaking in and after considering a higher crossover point (~70hz @ 24dB/oct.)

If you have a sub that can cross relatively high, consider these, especially passive. If you are running active, well we all know that you are paying money for that expensive crossover set in the box. Sell them separately like I did and make some money back.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After owning the PRO's for some time now, I can say with conviction that the woofer is just fine, after breaking in and after considering a higher crossover point (~70hz @ 24dB/oct.)

If you have a sub that can cross relatively high, consider these, especially passive. If you are running active, well we all know that you are paying money for that expensive crossover set in the box. Sell them separately like I did and make some money back.
Nice to know that the Pro woofer comes alive, I did a set of the Reference for a customer not too long ago and they behaved similarly, really came alive after a nice break in period.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i absolutely love the midbass from my kfs. I have really deadened doors and their crossed at 80hz. it's fantastic

I doubt the kr2s are better than the k2ps. kr2s may be better than the kfs because they have an updated tweeter and crossover. krx2 is more in the line of the k2p.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
so insufficient break in time could be the reason for all the midbass shy comments on the pro woofers
Yeah, I decided I liked them about two weeks after pounding on them a bit.

Also, again...set your crossover point a tick higher than you might otherwise and they shine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts