DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this an important stat?

I ask because the sub I was thinking about (DD slim sub) has a 2 inch xmax, while the other sub (dayton 12" HO) I am thinking about is 17mm (about a half inch or so).

Now the Dayton has a reputation for better sound and the DD has a rep as a one note wonder.. but with a much less XMax.. will the dayton go LOW? I am talking about 20hz or so? I am not really asking to compare the two subs but rather more about the affect of the two different XMAX stats.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Is that 2 inch xmax one way or peak to peak? Next, I believe there are several methods of measuring xmax, and they may give you different results. Moreover, there is no way to confirm those measurements without using specialized equipment. The Dayton subs have been measured and confirmed to have the stated xmax. What about the DD sub?

(by the way, your number seems off, the daytons have between 12 and 14 mm one way, depending on the version)

People have reported that the Dayton HO will hit lows well in a ported box. Daytons can hit lows in sealed box, but they have lower sensitivity in that region in this type of box. In the end, 20Hz is not particularly important goal because it can't be heard, some can't even feel it. I use 20Hz test tones to hear if there is a driver noise (mechanical) and to break in a driver (because no one can hear it).

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
If not mistaken, the correct way is measuring it under free air condition... Some do the measurement based on under enclosure.....
xmax are not the only spec, you need to consider the mms value also... Some sub having big mms value while having small xmax....

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Xmax is a simple measurement of the overhang of the voice coil. Length of the coil minus the thickness of the top plate divided by two. As a spec, it only matters when you're trying to figure out how much power you can apply to the woofer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts