DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story.
I have Infinity Kappa Reference components up front, amped, and that's it. The mids are in the doors and the tweeters are up in the dash in the stock mounting points, not facing up at the windshield but facing right at me from behind the wheel! At low volume (sitting with the car off) they sound great, but when I turn it up on the road they can get almost painful. What to do? :(

My crossovers don't have tweeter attenuation and I don't have room or money for an active setup.

1) I could put them in kick panels to get them farther away, but that requires building kick panels, which I don't really want to do.

2) I could put a layer of open-cell foam in front of them to absorb some of the sound, or closed-cell foam (ensolite) to block it. I have both on hand. It would fit between the tweet and the factory grill so it would be invisible. Would this be a bad idea?

3) I could re-aim them inward so the passenger tweeter is facing me, and my side is facing the passenger. That requires making new mounts, which is possible. I'm thinking this option + option (2) is the first resort.

4) Continue keeping the treble down on my deck, which doesn't really solve it because the treble EQ curve isn't the same as the tweeter response, and it cuts into my already lacking upper-mids.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Dan

·
Registered
530 Posts
sometimes flipping the polarity of the tweeters on the passive crossover will give you a bit of a diff. response-wont really solve your prob but might help a bit

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eh, no money or space for an EQ, especially a nice one. Nothing goes in the trunk. As for flipping the polarity, that's a neat idea. Do you mean reversing just one of them so the phase is different? Or do you mean wiring them both in reverse?

Dan

·
Registered
578 Posts
In the past that has been a nasty trait of the Infinity tweeters I have used, including the home Polycell units.

EQ cuts at around 8k helped... but I almost always deciding on another tweeter.

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Progress! I was screwing with my crossovers today trying the tweeter reverse polarity thing, and there are two EQ settings in there, selectable by bridging pins. One is "contour," where the mids drop out, and one is "flat." For some forked-up reason it was on contour. I changed it to flat, gave it a listen and it sounds MUCH more full. Maybe my problem is solved? Time will tell.

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts