DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently went from having around $300 of stereo equipment in my truck to more like $1200. I'm looking at ways to make it harder for someone to walk away with my gear, and being something of a fastener nerd (fasteners such as screws, bolts, nuts, etc.) I'm thinking about tamper resistant screws.

Tamper resistant hardware uses non-standard drive tools; instead of phillips or flat head drivers, these fasteners might use drilled spanner, tri-groove, or pin-in-star drives. The place you've probably seen this stuff is in the screws holding together bathroom stalls. I can't post links yet, but check out what they've got on the McMaster Carr and Tamperproof Screw Co. websites.

What these do is make it basically impossible to remove the screws the right way. Car thieves do not carry the tools to deal with this stuff. What they do not do, though, is prevent them from being ground off, drilled and extracted, or any other way you might remove a stripped bolt. It seems to me that any of these destructive ways of removing screws require power tools and lots of time.

Given that thieves are generally not carrying an angle grinder or a set of bolt extractors and are very short on time I would think that they would be a lot less likely to walk away with your head unit than if you had the stock phillips head screws holding it in. The cost of replacing your stocks screws wouldn't be all that high - maybe $30 in hardware and a couple hours of time at the most.

Does any of this make sense? Would using hard to remove screws make it harder for thieves to remove my equipment?

·
Registered
810 Posts
If they can not get the stuff they want, they will destroy it plain and simple. I would not worry about putting that stuff in.

·
Registered
844 Posts
^^^ what he said

Putting in hard to remove fasteners is only going to force determined thieves to destroy the much easier to defeat plastic dash/door panels instead.

Years ago, I was astonished to see my brother-in law's entire dash busted to **** & laying in his floorboard, all to get at the Alpine F-1 HU he had taken extreme measures to securely mount in the glove box. They got it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I had a friend that drove an early 2000's Malibu POS. He put a 150 dollar Pioneer HU in with a basic Metra kit. The thieves were so inept they destroyed the entire dash getting it out. 2k worth of damage to the car for a 150 dollar HU.

Don't advertise your system, lock your doors, take the face off, and have good insurance. Tamper proof screws are just going to piss off the thieves resulting in more damage to your car.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 18 sirens attached to my alarm, with 4 inside the car. It physically hurts to be near the car. It has been broken into twice and they never even got to the change in the cup holder.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your best defenses against someone stealing your gear and not damaging it due to fancy hardware is locked doors, insurance and low visability of the gear in the vehicel.
Ive been victim of spiteful theives slashing my speakers because they couldnt remove the square headed deck screws I had installed around the speaker ring. To complicate the problem futher, I had the box bolted through the floor of the cab of my Ranger.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I think they key here is that they didnt get anything and your insurance still replaced everything.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
\
Ive been victim of spiteful theives slashing my speakers because they couldnt remove the square headed deck screws I had installed around the speaker ring. To complicate the problem futher, I had the box bolted through the floor of the cab of my Ranger.
In Canada we call those robbies!

Not much chance that a thief here wouldn't be carrying a robertson screwdriver

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Roberson are great, much better design than Philips. They don't slip out nearly as easy

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts