DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone picked up or used a pair of these drivers?

Parts-Express.com:Tang Band W3-1401SD 3" Neodymium Full Range Driver | Tang Band W3-1401D 3" driver Full Range Driver full range tb speakers neodymium driver line array point source midrange home theater computer speaker center channel set tube ampl

They certainly look interesting. Relatively compact package, neo motor, cast aluminum frame, 3.5mm xmax, 70-20K FR... :surprised:

Ive been testing some mid/fullrange drivers recently and am thinking of picking up a few more pairs in the search for the right drivers. For me, a 3" sized full range driver (MAYBE a 4") is the right size for mounting location and space available on the dash.

On the list to pick up:
Tang Band W3-1364S
Tang Band W3-881SJ
Mark Audio CHR-70
Hustler Audio "Trinity" titanium-magnesium model

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,960 Posts
The new TangBand is a nice looking driver, fs is pretty low also. Reminds me of the Peerless 830986 a little.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mark, when do you think the initial models will be available on those titanium-mag cones ?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Tang Band seems to be really hit or miss. It's almost like they just randomly assemble different cone materials, voice coils, magnets, etc. together, and then some just happen to be awesome and others are total duds. So who knows?

Can you fit the W4-1337? It's only slightly more expensive, and is a tried and true TB superstar...

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,960 Posts
Hey Mark, when do you think the initial models will be available on those titanium-mag cones ?

I will have a few test unit next week and the large order is on its way, but by sea so it a month out. Let me know when your planning to test and I will see if I can get you a pair to test.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Any word on $$$ and overall caliber of sound?
I have yet to try the Alpair 5's myself but I've heard they are even better than the CHR-70's in terms of top end response. They may not have quite the bottom end of the CHR70's but I doubt any of us would be using them for that in car audio. I'm looking to test a pair sometime soon. I've already got enclosures built for them.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have yet to try the Alpair 5's myself but I've heard they are even better than the CHR-70's in terms of top end response. They may not have quite the bottom end of the CHR70's but I doubt any of us would be using them for that in car audio. I'm looking to test a pair sometime soon. I've already got enclosures built for them.
For some reason I thought that the Alpair 5's were a larger driver (due to the name), but at 4" they might work. I'd really like to find a 3" driver as its even less space to take up on the dash (hence my wanting to test the new Trinity and the CHR-70). The HAT L4's are fantastic but the only thing really holding me back from using them is the size and possible needing a tweeter for the very top end...

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will have a few test unit next week and the large order is on its way, but by sea so it a month out. Let me know when your planning to test and I will see if I can get you a pair to test.

I am setup to test at any time actually. I have test enclosures ready and just need to make the ring insert to match the cutout diameter of the Trinity drivers.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
For some reason I thought that the Alpair 5's were a larger driver (due to the name), but at 4" they might work. I'd really like to find a 3" driver as its even less space to take up on the dash (hence my wanting to test the new Trinity and the CHR-70). The HAT L4's are fantastic but the only thing really holding me back from using them is the size and possible needing a tweeter for the very top end...
The CHR70's outer flange is 5" where as the Alpair 5 is 4". I'd love to have tested the new Trinity driver but they weren't available at the time of our test.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The CHR70's outer flange is 5" where as the Alpair 5 is 4". I'd love to have tested the new Trinity driver but they weren't available at the time of our test.
You are correct. Hmmm. I was thrown off by the listing at meniscusaudio that showed it (CHR-70) as a 3" :confused:

Agreed about the Trinity though. Looking forward to getting a little listening time in on them (hopefully).

-Steve

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^ random lol

Hello though. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tang Band seems to be really hit or miss. It's almost like they just randomly assemble different cone materials, voice coils, magnets, etc. together, and then some just happen to be awesome and others are total duds. So who knows?

Can you fit the W4-1337? It's only slightly more expensive, and is a tried and true TB superstar...
Its a bit large for the pillars. Would be fun to try it out, but I know it would be a real pain to integrate.

The Tang Band W4-1757SB is 4.25" diameter, but very shallow. Its also described as having a very wide off-axis dispersion pattern. Might be an option for off axis mounting in the pillars which would allow a slightly larger driver size (eg- I could do a 4-5'' in there without much of a problem) and still hopefully get good upper frequency extension.
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w4-1757sb.htm

Also, I could try the 3" version of that 4"(W4-1337SD) which is the W3-1335SB. Still the titanium cone, but no phase plug. Only thing that really concerns me about it is that it only has a 0.5mm xmax :eek: Also, 10k-20k is a little choppy looking.
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w3-1335sb.htm

I'm thinking the W3-1401SD might be a better option than that.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For anyone else interested...here are HD plots and off-axis response of the W4-1757S, similar to what I was referring to above. It is a flat aluminum honeycomb sandwich cone with a neo motor and very shallow mounting depth. Difference between this and the 1757SB model is 1mm additional xmax for the SB. Found on our sister forum (diyaudio).

Tang Band W4-1757S Harmonic Distortion graph:

Tang Band W4-1757S Off Axis Response graph:

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have a set of the w3-1401sd coming in tomorrow... hopefully they'll fit in the pods without much trouble... im coming off the peerless 830986

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
i have a set of the w3-1401sd coming in tomorrow... hopefully they'll fit in the pods without much trouble... im coming off the peerless 830986
Any feedback or updates on these? They look tempting for a set of small format computer speakers.

EDIT: I did find this informative thread on TalkTech. A poster that has these drivers said they tested very close to the manufacture's specs. Nice!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts