Full report via attached PDF.

Product:
Tang Band W3-1878 3" Full Range Driver

Link:
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w3-1878.htm

Xmax based on 10% Overall Distortion Limits:

X Bl @ Bl min=82% >3.7 mm
X C @ C min=75% 1.6 mm

*Again, another Tang Band driver I couldn't get Bl to resolve for. Limited by compliance at 1.6mm (75% Cmin).

Sample Results:

• Re = 6.5981 ohms
  • Fs = 83.4790 Hz
  • Zmax = 40.2769 ohms
  • Qes = 0.5204
  • Qms = 2.6565
  • Qts = 0.4352
  • Le = 0.3100 mH (at 1 kHz)
  • Diam = 58.8764 mm ( 2.3180 in )
  • Sd = 2722.5236 mm^2( 4.2199 in^2)
  • Vas = 1.4248 L ( 0.0503 ft^3)
  • BL = 4.2264 N/A
  • Mms = 2.6862 g
  • Cms = 1353.1381 uM/N
  • Kms = 739.0229 N/M
  • Rms = 0.5304 R mechanical
  • Efficiency = 0.1496 %
  • Sensitivity= 83.7686 dB @1W/1m
  • Sensitivity= 84.6053 dB @2.83Vrms/1m

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
TB does know how to make a motor :D Good distorsion figures, low power compression, offset could have been better... Which they worked more on the suspensions.

Seems like there's a small problem in the Sd number - looks like a 100" woofer :eek:

Kelvin

·
18,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TB does know how to make a motor :D Good distorsion figures, low power compression, offset could have been better... Which they worked more on the suspensions.
ehhh... fair distortion figures. they're in line with what you get in xmax values. suspension limited (higher distortion sooner than Bl). Either way, keep in mind what you're seeing in the distortion plots is purely relative. It is not comparable on an absolute scale to other drivers. You can only compare the types of distortion and their contribution to the overall driver distortion.

Yea, so far the TB drivers I've tested have had overbuilt (respectively) motors. I don't claim to be a design engineer... just from a hobbyists' POV, it seems to me they're putting way too many eggs in that cart.

Seems like there's a small problem in the Sd number - looks like a 100" woofer :eek:
Doh!
Yep, I typed in "58" in to the Klippel diameter box... which is already in cm instead of mm I was looking at. I don't believe it will affect the results you see other than values in the table. But, I'll try to correct that and post it up when I get a chance.
thanks for the catch.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Yeah, was talking about the good distorsion figures for the motor. Suspension is ugly but in the same category as similarly priced small midranges...

Kelvin

·
18,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what other midranges? I haven't gone looking. I figure you're not talking about the others I've tested since they're not in the $200/pr price range.
On that note, I've got a set of Scan 10f's on the way to test soon.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
what other midranges? I haven't gone looking. I figure you're not talking about the others I've tested since they're not in the $200/pr price range.
On that note, I've got a set of Scan 10f's on the way to test soon.
I was just comparing the Xsus value of the other midranges tested on the forum: Trius, Seas Lotus RM 110, Rainbow Profi, MB Quart QSD-210 (ok, not really in the same price range)
Those are around the 1.5mm-1.7mm mark for the 75% of rest CMS.

I know that it doesn't tell the whole story since we don't have the proper distorsion analysis for every drivers tested on the forum but I now have the bug to compare every drivers :p...

Kelvin

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Thanks Erin for taking the time to do this. Interesting results....good motor with a limited suspension. I was hoping for a little better out of this driver. Still, is a nice sounding speaker...I like it as a midrange more so than a fullrange. Looking forward to the 10F results.

·
18,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Question: does the Klippel machine have the ability to produce BL(i) charts, where i is voice coil current?
If it's not in the report, the Klippel (or my version of it) doesn't measure it. I include everything in the report.

I'll double check just to make sure tonight, though.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
The impedance on this sucker looks better in your tests than in TB's. It is a shame the suspensions are pretty average but this guy should outperform drivers with similar suspension ability that have less BL. Overall pretty unique and interesting drivers from TB. I dig them.

·
18,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm really curious about their phase plug design. I'm curious to know why they chose something so uncommon; what benefit did they achieve and what were the tradeoffs?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts