DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
4th order electric, I'd see if they can go down to 600Hz or so. I think you'll quickly find that the higher you can get most of the music the better.

FWIW, over the weekend I fiddled with the crossover Fc's on my Whispers, which have about 3x of the Vd TB W2-852, an through an accidental flick of the wrist I found that I strongly preferred them playing all the way down to 200Hz. It's a little bit disconcerting to see 'em jump like that, though. I put on the Postal Service's "Such Great Heights" and they were really dancing. We'll see how they hold up playing that low. luckily I have a spare pair in reserve....

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Efficiency IMO isn't a problem when they're so close to you. At least, it's not a problem for me in a car far noisier than most. As for sparkle, there probably is a little missing compared to a really great home system. In my environment, I don't miss it. But you might. Here's what someone with better-trained ears than I says about them, albeit when used above 1kHz and EQ'ed:

I do not sense a lack of very high frequency extension nor of volume capability.
(Source: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/intro.htm)

My main "issue" with the Whispers is that they have a decent amount of midrange distortion. In my neoclassical interior, that actually works really well; it makes them sound like they're powered by a SET amp. However, in a car with a more contemporary aesthetic they might now work so well. Then again, right now NPDang has a clearance pair. With shipping it'll still cost you less than a decent dinner for one to figure out if they'll work for you...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later