DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help choosing between the two and which would work best with the power I have. Power is from an Audio System Twister F2/500.
2x280wrms @4ohm
2x400wrms @2ohm
1x800wrms @ 4ohm
[email protected] 2ohm
I'm wanting to get two in a down during box sealed. The daytons specs are 600wrms-1000max but I've heard of people listening to them at 1000+w. They are 4ohm.
The Epics are 500wrms-2000max. But again people say they after power hungry. Which one would configure best together with the amp I already have and like? Any help is appreciated. Or other suggestions of similar price for two tens.

Also does anyone know the power ratings of the exodus anarchy mids. Looking at getting those too but trying to figure out what power they run on. I'd like to use all matching twister amps.

Thanks alot,Alex

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Power is from an Audio System Twister F2/500.

[email protected] 2ohm

I'm wanting to get two in a down firing box sealed.

The Epics

Thanks alot,Alex

TC Sounds Epic 10" DVC Subwoofer 293-656

wire each speaker in series , then wire both speakers in parallel :)

TC Sounds Epic 10" DVC Subwoofer

The EPIC 10" subwoofer is designed to be lighter, smaller and ultimately more affordable without deviating from the TC Sounds world-class displacement and low distortion performance guarantee. Matched with just 300 watts, the EPIC will surprise even the most critical audiophiles with substantial, ultra clean low frequency bass, but pair it with twice that much power and it will take you to the next level!
That's what I'd do !

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have two DC Epic 10s . Each in seal boxes with .65 cubic feet. I have a JL HD 750/1 on each sub. They do perform very well with enough power!

I did as much reading on them as I could before getting them. They do not recoment that they are used in a downfire position.

LionelC

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
i love my dayton ho 15 sealed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've used both and I'd take the Dayton any day over the Epic 10". I think the HO 10 is a much more flexible driver and just sounds better. I didn't think the EPIC 10 sounded very good above 80Hz but that might not be a problem for your use.

I must admit that I'm not a big fan of most of the TC Sounds drivers. In the past, I've found the TS parameters to vary widely from driver to driver. I just think you can get more for you money with some other drivers. And it's pretty easy to get the 100Hz and down frequencies right without having to spend a ton of money.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used both and I'd take the Dayton any day over the Epic 10". I think the HO 10 is a much more flexible driver and just sounds better. I didn't think the EPIC 10 sounded very good above 80Hz but that might not be a problem for your use.

I must admit that I'm not a big fan of most of the TC Sounds drivers. In the past, I've found the TS parameters to vary widely from driver to driver. I just think you can get more for you money with some other drivers. And it's pretty easy to get the 100Hz and down frequencies right without having to spend a ton of money.
thats what my original plan was to use these but I got stumped when I thought about hooking them up to get enough power to without over powering them. I dont think they would perform thier best running them as two channels and was thinking that 1200 watts would be a little much bridging them parallel...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have two DC Epic 10s . Each in seal boxes with .65 cubic feet. I have a JL HD 750/1 on each sub. They do perform very well with enough power!

I did as much reading on them as I could before getting them. They do not recoment that they are used in a downfire position.

LionelC
What would be the problem running them down firing as opposed to regular out firing?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't worry about too much power. IMHO, I'd rather have too much. You can always just turn it down.

I've run one of the HO 10's off 800wrms with no trouble at all (ported). You can always find the mechanical limits and then decrease.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
What would be the problem running them down firing as opposed to regular out firing?

Sagging [ due to exceedingly heavy weight of coils and cone, etc.., ]

We are often asked if a particular driver is suitable for using in a down-firing configuration. Below is a formula that takes into consideration the effects gravity will have on the "sag" of the cone structure of any woofer. You will need the Fs, Vas, Sd (surface area of the cone), and the Xmax to determine the relative long term usefulness of up or down-firing any woofer.

You can calculate the sag of a driver from:

Percentage of Sag = 24,849 / ( Xmax * Fs²)
where

- 24,849 is a constant value based on the relationship of acceleration due to gravity and Pi.
- Xmax is the maximum linear excursion of a loudspeaker voice coil while remaining within the magnetic flux field (mm).
- Fs is the free-air resonant frequency of the woofer (Hz).

The following is the same formula, including the relationship of acceleration and Pi in this case:

Percentage of Sag = 981,000 / (Xmax * (2 * Pi * Fs)²)
where

- 981,000 is acceleration due to gravity (mm/S²) * 100 (for the percentage).
- Xmax is the maximum linear excursion of a loudspeaker voice coil while remaining within the magnetic flux field (mm). - Fs is the free-air resonant frequency of the woofer (Hz)
- Pi is the ratio of a circle's circumference and diameter, usually rounded to 3.14.

As a general rule of thumb, any time the sag exceeds 5% of the driver's Xmax, it's not recommended for a down-firing subwoofer application.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I would recommend to load the T/S parameters of both of these subwoofers and see how it goes. I have modeled the 12 inch TC Epic and Dayton HO and the way I see it.. they're very different subs once you consider box size, power requirements, etc.

Dayton HO12 (SVC) has very low sensitivity. It's about 3dB less loud than TC Sounds Epic. This is significant. This could be a consideration if you don't have unlimited power. Next, the TC sounds subwoofer has a lower F3, and the recommended box for 0.707 qtc is approximately 1.5 cu ft. The recommended box for HO12 is much smaller than 1cu ft. I suspect some of these differences will translate onto the 10 inch versions of these drivers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you think the daytons would be fine if I tuned the amp down a bit? I knower it's better to have moyer than enough power than not enough but I wasnt sure if that was pushing it a little much or not

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
So you think the daytons would be fine if I tuned the amp down a bit? I knower it's better to have moyer than enough power than not enough but I wasnt sure if that was pushing it a little much or not

I think you'll be fine if you are careful not to over drive the subwoofer. Of course, if you had a weaker than necessary amplifier, then the danger would exist in over-driving the amplifier and clipping the signal. I prefer the former.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So more than likely 1280wrms should be fine if tuned correctly? I'm not the best at tuning but I'm slowly getting better and learning more and I have access ryi some people with a good ear and knowledge of proper tuning since I work at a car audio shop doing installations. I should be beret than I an but I've only been there since august and haven't had anyone teach me before I got there really. Slowly leaving and getting better. Iss just taking a while. But this forum helps alot

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im planning on getting two. And I dont really have the room to buy another amp to run them seperately. If I ran them parallel they would be getting 1280, if I ran them in series they would be getting less than rms

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
1280 for two which is 640 per driver which is a perfect match or did i miss something ?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I think I'd probably go with the TC Epics for the simple fact they have more Xmax, which comes in handy for a sealed box.

Also, I know there's some on here that have used the HO 10 sealed & loved it, but the consensus seems to be ported is where these shine.

Powerwise, I think you'd be fine either way.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
the thing with the HO in sealed boxes, they like small boxes, which makes them less loud vs others in bigger boxes. but then the HF series that is desined for sealed boxes, want larger boxes for their size.

the 10 wants like 1 cubic foot sealed, but man it will blow away other 10s in similar sized boxes(According to winisd from what i remember) the 12 wants like 2.5, 15 like 5 cubes.

so i went with the 15 sealed in 1.75, small box, but larger cone area gives me the output i want with the sealed sound

1 - 20 of 30 Posts