DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beloved Epic 10 is dying. Was listening today and a heard a rattling type sound. Confirmed it was definitely coming from the sub.Still plays, just some mechanical noise at higher volumes, when there should not be. Came home and connected it to a home amp - same deal (I was glad it was not my amp!).

Haven't opened it up yet, but curious if there is a way to repair it if needed, and is it worth it? I have a Epic 12 for back up, but with trunk space at a premium, it is nice to have this thing in a tiny box with some serious output.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
20 Posts
My beloved Epic 10 is dying. Was listening today and a heard a rattling type sound. Confirmed it was definitely coming from the sub.Still plays, just some mechanical noise at higher volumes, when there should not be. Came home and connected it to a home amp - same deal (I was glad it was not my amp!).

Haven't opened it up yet, but curious if there is a way to repair it if needed, and is it worth it? I have a Epic 12 for back up, but with trunk space at a premium, it is nice to have this thing in a tiny box with some serious output.

Thanks in advance...
I don't know but with an 18" and two 15" subwoofer's in my home theater I will be interested in what you find out. TC Sounds has been out of the business for awhile. I hope my TCs' keep working, they are great subs.

I would check with Parts Express and AVSforum dot com, the DIY speaker forum. Used to be a lot of TC Sounds owners there.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i have some tc sounds tc1000 (epic) 8's if interested. all are bnib. two are single 4 ohm, one is dual 4 ohm.

these have the silver aluminum cones.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Opened the box up just now, and took it out to investigate. I thought I found the culprit, but now it will just not play at all. Hooked it up to a home amp GFA-555, first, and it was functioning, but still produced the sound. Sounded fine at lower volumes then the noise would start up. Pulled it out and it looked like the voice coil former was detaching from the cone. This might have been ok at lower excursion, but once it gets moving I can see how this might be the issue. Connected it to a UPA-1 (free air) I have running my home sub - nada...now its just DOA.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what the deal was, but I checked the coils on a MM and they were fine. I went back to the Adcom and it was fine - maybe I just had not connected it properly on the other amp?Anyhow...

I stuck my finger down where the gap is between the former and the cone while it was playing,and I could make the noise worse, at will, by just pushing up on the cone a tiny bit. I think it is worth a shot to try to fix this and see if I cant get it to resolve the issue. What would be my best bet for applying a bead of some adhesive along this edge to keep them together? It's a pretty tight space to deliver a precision bit of product to. Picture included

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a dual agent epoxy with an extended applicator tip. Worked like a charm and the speaker is back in it's enclosure, ready to go back into daily duty! it is a 1500PSI rated adhesive so I hope that holds. Glad it worked, and glad to have this sub back in service!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts