DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinions on tc sounds in general, and this sub.
If you were to use an 8" sub other than this what would you use and why.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done some reading on them I just wanted some opinions on this sub also! Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
12 Posts
what are your goals?
if loudness, sundown and digitial designs also make nice 8" subs.
the tc sounds should sound very smooth and drop very low.
so if your after sound quality the tc sounds could be your best bet.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Single sub setup?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the Epic 10. It'll reach down low, has a nice amount of xmax and has decent output sealed, but if you're looking for loud it is damn near an engineering challenge to build a ported enclosure for it. Built to a decent spec I ended up with a port that wrapped around 3 sides of the enclosure and still had way too much port noise. It needed more area, which would mean an even longer length, or a huge bevel, and I could never make that work in the area I had to work with.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have the Epic 10. It'll reach down low, has a nice amount of xmax and has decent output sealed, but if you're looking for loud it is damn near an engineering challenge to build a ported enclosure for it. Built to a decent spec I ended up with a port that wrapped around 3 sides of the enclosure and still had way too much port noise. It needed more area, which would mean an even longer length, or a huge bevel, and I could never make that work in the area I had to work with.
What was the volume of the box and what was it tuned to?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would probably be doing an external port for it if I decide to go with it the port would go to the spot of the stock rear speakers

·
Registered
329 Posts
Why does it matter if it has to be an 8 its not part of my question.
Because if you can fit a larger sub then its easier to achieve your goals.

The Epic 8 looks like one of the most capable subs for its size... strong motor, lots of throw. How much power do you plan on running and how much airspace can you give it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i understand its easier w/ a bigger sub but i wanted to know about this 8, it would be about 400rms in about a .5 cubic fett enclosure ported. i could go larger if its needed

·
Registered
27 Posts
What was the volume of the box and what was it tuned to?
If I remember right, around 1.2 and 45. I never found the right configuration so I can't quote anything concrete and it's been a while since I played with them. I did have it down to 35 at one point, but it whistled loud enough to play it's own tunes.

It's a sub that really wants to be sealed.

·
Registered
781 Posts
If I remember right, around 1.2 and 45. I never found the right configuration so I can't quote anything concrete and it's been a while since I played with them. I did have it down to 35 at one point, but it whistled loud enough to play it's own tunes.

It's a sub that really wants to be sealed.
What was the size of the port? 28-32hz with a good 4" round port or slot is where I would want to start, but you can always run a box program or consult some of the box guys here. That box volume also seems a little high as well IIRC. Tricky part is that as your net volume gets smaller the port gets much bigger. As for the OP I would reconsider and take another look at the Alpine 8's. Is there a reason you are leaning towards a TC?

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
i understand its easier w/ a bigger sub but i wanted to know about this 8, it would be about 400rms in about a .5 cubic fett enclosure ported. i could go larger if its needed
Ported? Choose another sub then... You'll never have good SQ from this sub if you go ported due to how small the enclosure and how long the port needs to be...
To give you an idea, the Epic 8" needs an enclosure that is 0.27cuft net tuned to 30Hz in order to have good SQ. The port for this enclosure is 76" long round shaped 3" in diameter...

Go any bigger (like 0.5cuft) and you'll have a peak in freq that will make your low end muddy, group delay gets ugly and same goes for the air velocity (4" vent diameter needed to keep noise port low).

Kelvin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actually, i tested an epic 8 and parameters were VERY differnet from published specs. Qts went from .29 to .44 and fs went from 28hz to 42hz. The parameters i found were much more in line with an 8" driver. Take a look people! The published epic 8 specs are nearly impossible to achieve with an 8".
So... based on my parameters i used 1.5cu tuned to 28hz with a 4" aero in my z and sq was pretty flat. Power was 600w rms.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ive had the sa8's also. I was a competitor for sundown and hit a best of [email protected] with 8sa8's in 6cu tuned to 32hz with an atomic 7k.
I was impressed with them but for clean, distortion free bass with decent output the epic 8 takes the cake. Unfortunatlly it doesnt compare to the old tc1000 8's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts