DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 208 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
I did, but at first I had the wrong version of matlab.....so I uninstalled the wrong version, as well as the start up file for tda......got the right matlab, then went back and got tda again. I didn't get the chance to meet with it yesterday, so maybe this evening I will drag the laptop back out and try again...........thanks guys for all the suggestions, I may be back tonight if it doesent pan out......lol. I didn't specifically make any choices about admin.....is this something I need to go to another menu to choose as an option?

Yes, there is a specific option for opening it as admin. Right click on the TDA icon that opens the program and you will get a menu of options. You will see an option to open/run it as Admin.
I had to extract the files from zip and run it as admin. When I only extracted, the program would open but not let me measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Yes, there is a specific option for opening it as admin. Right click on the TDA icon that opens the program and you will get a menu of options. You will see an option to open/run it as Admin.
I had to extract the files from zip and run it as admin. When I only extracted, the program would open but not let me measure.

Shit.....I haven't even gotten an icon....lol. The only thing I can find on my computer after the download related to tda/apl is the thing that starts the download again.....

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Ok I'll just do it step-by-step:
1. Find the zip file you downloaded. It will be "APL_TDA_v008_64b_demosetup".
2. Right click on it, select extract.
3. Select where you want the extracted files to go.(just make sure you remember where you are sending them so you can find them).
4. Find the files you just extracted.
5. One of the files you extracted will be "APL_TDA_v008d_64". The 64 is assuming you are running 64 bit as opposed to 32 bit.
6. Right click on that file.
7. Select "run as administrator"

Give that a shot.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Ok I'll just do it step-by-step:
1. Find the zip file you downloaded. It will be "APL_TDA_v008_64b_demosetup".
2. Right click on it, select extract.
3. Select where you want the extracted files to go.(just make sure you remember where you are sending them so you can find them).
4. Find the files you just extracted.
5. One of the files you extracted will be "APL_TDA_v008d_64". The 64 is assuming you are running 64 bit as opposed to 32 bit.
6. Right click on that file.
7. Select "run as administrator"

Give that a shot.

Thanks brother........I'm fixing to eat a late supper and then I'll be dragging out the lappy to give this a shot......me thinks the unzipping has something to do with my conundrum, I'll let ya know how it works out!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Woohoo!!

Thanks to all who offered advice. We have success!

Now, is my mic cal file needed at all for the measurements I'll be taking? I'm thinking no, but figured I'd ask......

Plus any more tips for the measuring would be appreciated....

Btw this isn't my car in the pic.....just the lappy speakers as I tested to see if it would measure.....seems pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
530 Posts
claydo, congrats!

Waiting results from your car. Try first one channel (f.ex. left front) + subwoofer.
3D pictures are more exciting to look at, but I prefer 2D as they give more precise information regarding group delays.

It is funny always to null all the TA settings and to check actual delay of both fronts from the listening position. Then - delay each speaker in order to obtain the simultanious arriving time. To connect the sub is typically the biggest problem. Sometime, phase switch is necessary along with selecting of the most optimal filter orders between the sub and mids.

Do not forget that it is possible to rotate 3D-images. This option could give you some additional info.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
One thing that surprised me was how accurate my "by ear" t/a was. Of course there is room for improvement, but I'm having trouble relating the p99's adjustments to what I'm seeing on the screen.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
One thing that surprised me was how accurate my "by ear" t/a was. Of course there is room for improvement, but I'm having trouble relating the p99's adjustments to what I'm seeing on the screen.
I still wanna try a complete 80PRS tune verses the Helix.. The Helix continues to win. Would love to play with the 99RS's more extensive EQ. So you playing with the trial version of this software?

This would be for all.. I am perplexed with TA and our beans.. What I mean is our "mic's" on our heads have two, not one, and they're several inches apart. This is the conundrum I'm dealing with concerning a measured TA tool verses ear alignment. Were it speakers very far away and more in-front, instead of car with wider speaker placement and short distances, I could fathom that a single mic point would be pretty darn spot on, but when drivers are so wide as they are in car and your ears are also relatively wide apart, how's it work?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Yup, playing with the trial version.....I have yet to improve much from my initial reading.....need to learn more about what I'm seeing I reckon.....

It seems to me when I go moving the blackness of the trace? (For lack of a better term) It will lose its symmetry and become squiggly....lol, technical terms......then it doesent always move in correlation with my adjustments.....it seems pioneer has some funkyness in its t/a adjusments, or I need to read up somewhere on what exactly the tda is seeing.....

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Yup, playing with the trial version.....I have yet to improve much from my initial reading.....need to learn more about what I'm seeing I reckon.....
Dunno the resolution of your 99RS delay increments, but might be a factor if splitting hairs that much.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I'm just glad my settings were proven to be really close....that was satisfying......and it's much easier to see than the impulse measurements in rew......

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm just glad my settings were proven to be really close....that was satisfying......and it's much easier to see than the impulse measurements in rew......
Agree 100%. TDA gives much more informative results. FR maybe not so accurate (compared to Workshop/APL), but might give all necessary information on phase problems at the XO point. Changing the filter order helps to eliminate the dips. It is easy and quick to do with TDA: switch - test - switch - test... All done just in halv an hour.

Experience shows that the higher filter order results in a bigger group delay, which is more difficult to struggle against. With some capacity limits (10ms of HU and 5ms of APL1) I simply had to choose the first order at much lower XO point for the sub (40Hz), which might be very unusual. Many people use normally 24dB/oct at 80 or even 100Hz. After measurements with the TDA it came out that it was a bad choice for my present install. It was not possible to come to this conclusion without TDA software.

Null delay at DFR-graph (for mids and tweeters) together with a smooth FR at XO points (both front channels at the same graph) - might be a goal when optimizing TA with the help of TDA. Yes, we do not hear phase problems well, that is why a reliable measuring tool is a good help in this case. Above appr. 4kHz correction might be done by the sound volume instead of delaying in time. This is even more important for the passive XO.

Take a look on my first picture in the post No.26. it is easy to observe cross-cancelling at several frequencies (both fronts are shown there). Slight adjustment of TA made this problem much less. You may try this in your car.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
These are my results with using Tape Measure/Tracerite for T/A.
Tweeters-- 2750hz
Mids--406hz-2750hz
MB's--93hz-406hz

Everything is on L/R 24's.

The 1st pic is the entire system W/O Subs, 2nd pic is Left side w/o Subs, 3rd pic is right side w/o subs.

So, what should be my plan of attack to fix these T/A issues?

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
428 Posts
This is some interesting material...I have yet to dabble into this much detail when dealing with my system...although I am still building it as of this time.I will definitely keep an eye on this thread.

41 - 60 of 208 Posts