DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
They act like a controlled leak in your sealed box, making it act like a larger sealed box. Useful if you need for saving space. By varying the amount of stuffing in the vent, you can change the apparent volume of the enclosure.

Forget about whatever other magical sq properties of aperiodic enclosures you may have heard. That's pretty much all it is.

·
Registered
531 Posts
audionutz did a good writeup on ECA somewhere about AP installs.....very good read...

·
Registered
74 Posts
yeah...i should read that one again....

If I remember right...there is a T/S spec that has something to do with it. I'll give it another read.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I think audionutz did a good writeup, but IIRC there were some technical things that weren't correct.

There is no speaker that fares better in an AP enclosure per se, although speakers that need a LOT of space for a given alignment will of course benefit more than speakers that require smaller box sizes.

It's basically a controlled leak in a sealed box, that makes the box act like a larger sealed box.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cam2Xrunner said:
Not would this be useful for a cone midrange, fiberglassed into an A pillar? Or not at all?
Thats what I was thinking of. If I can find somewhere to put it, I was thinking of using the dayton RS 5" mid with an aperiodic vent because I dont have anywhere near the required airspace for the driver. It wouldnt be perfect but every little bit helps.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I am certainly no expert but it seems that the sealed box returns the energy of the speaker back to the speaker while a aperiodic vent absorbs the energy of the speaker. If we use a car anology the cars spring is the sealed box and the shock is the aperiodic vent.

I don't know which is better but I would suspect that they would sound different.

·
Registered
530 Posts
before i installed my focal 6w2,s in my xterra 8 mo ago , i built a small sealed test box and installed a 4 in scan-speak vero vent at the rear of the box just to see if there would be any improvements in overall mid clarity and low end resp. but it didnt take long to realize after listening it wasnt what i was looking for ,midbass was tubby-midrange distorted at med output levels,it could be due to the focals very high qts around .74 ,it sounds much better in the door,midbass still a bit tubby though

·
Registered
989 Posts
vibrator said:
Thats what I was thinking of. If I can find somewhere to put it, I was thinking of using the dayton RS 5" mid with an aperiodic vent because I dont have anywhere near the required airspace for the driver. It wouldnt be perfect but every little bit helps.
So any other ideas on using an Aperiodic Chamber for an A Pillar Mid install. Anyone experienced with this?

NewTitan, wanna try this in your A Pillars?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I'd just leave it IB. The only purpose to an AP vent is to give the enclosure more space, and you can't get more space than IB.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What about using aperodic vents for midbass speakers in doors you can't properly seal up? Would it be feasible to do? Or would it be better to make a sealed enclosure out of fibreglass?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
It's always easier to just use an eq to boost lower frequencies, especially for a mid/bass than create a sealed fiberglass enclosure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts