DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I suppose like many of you, I first heard the word Techflex on this forum.
When I found out what it was, it seemed a bothersome waste of time and more "window dressing" than providing a necessary benefit.
But then I started paying attention to what it's used for and in my line of work which is automotive mechanical breakdown inspection, I kept seeing it used by the manufacturers from wiring harnesses on BMWs, to clutch cables on Harley Davidson motorcycles.
If the manufacturers are spending the money and using it, then it must provide a valuable purpose.
Since I have never used the product before, I had zero idea what sizes, colors, and other options were going to be right for my build.
In my thread, http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/system-design-help-me-choose-equipment-my-car/150646-techflex-heatshrink-who-has-best-price.html , you all recommended that I contact "furryletters" EXPANDABLE SLEEVING COLORS, HEAT SHRINK TUBING items in FURRYLETTERS store on eBay! so I did.
I called Barry and told him that I'm a noob and really wanted to understand how the product worked and get my hands on some.
Barry was extremely helpful spending a good 45 minutes on the phone with me going into great detail explaining the product line and asking all the right questions.
As a result of that phone call, Barry sent me the following sample pack so I could share it on DIYMA.

In the following posts, I will get into the product line in detail and hopefully answer some if not all of the questions that make one hesitate getting started when it comes to Techflexing your builds wiring.
Just another step in trying to get it right the first time. :D

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: TECHFLEX 101-A Comprehensive Look At This Product

Sizes

The most common sizes used in our builds are 1/2", 3/8", 1/4", and sometimes 1/8".
Here's some pics of all four sizes together in black standard Techflex.

1/2"

3/8"

1/4"

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

1/8"

Next I have slipped the Techflex on different sizes of wiring that I will be using in my build to show what Techflex size IMO works and looks best.

1/2" Techflex on DIYMA 1/0 (oversized) gauge power cabling

1/2" Techflex on DIYMA 8 gauge speaker wiring (also using this 8 gauge for amplifier power wiring)

3/8" Techflex on 12 gauge speaker wiring

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts

subbed make sure u sticky this

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

1/4" Techflex over DIYMA 16 gauge speaker wire

Flexibility
Here's a few pics of how expansive Techflex can be when compressed.

3/8" Techflex relaxed

Fully compressed

Split Loom

Here's some 1/2" Techflex black split loom that Barry sent along.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Flame Retardant

Here's two colors of Techflex's flame retardant line.
I think Barry said there was a black with red crossed strands as well.

Both black and white versions

3/8" Techflex white with black strands

Black with white strands

Nylon Multifilament

Since there's a lot of copper color in my build, I had Barry send me a sample of Techflex's nylon multifilament line which has copper as one of it's colors.
This product looks and feels more like woven cotton since the filaments are so fine but it's limited in it's available sizes, colors, is difficult to cut, and has very little expandability.
When I tried to open one of the hot knife cut ends, it was almost impossible.
When I made a fresh cut with scissors, it frayed terribly.
Lastly, if you screw up and pull on one thread instead of the whole, it will distort the entire sleeving.
Needless to say, I will not be using the multifilament for my build.

Both Techflex nylon multifilament 1/2" and 5/16" sizes (that's all in this line)

1/2" Techflex nylon multifilament

5/16" Tecjf;ex nylon multifilament

Close up of the distortion running through it from pulling on one thread

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Remix Line

Techflex offers a line of tightly woven intricate patterned 3/8" sleeving that they call the Remix Line.
It doesn't expand as large as standard Techflex but it is very dense and will hide any color wiring inside it.
I believe Barry told me it only comes in 3/8" but I could be wrong.
Be sure to ask him if you're interested.
Here's the four colors this line comes in.

Orange based Remix Techflex

Blue based Remix Techflex

Brown based Remix Techflex

Green based Remix Techflex

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Standard Techflex

Standard Techflex comes in 1/2", 3/8", 1/4", and 1/8" sizes as demonstrated in the black Techflex sizing posted at the beginning of this thread.
I think this might be the most important post of the thread due to the fact that many of us just don't realize just how many colors are available.
I know I surely didn't until I contacted Barry.
I think it's because many of the companies selling Techflex only list the common colors.
Since this is the Techflex that we all seem to be using in our builds, knowing these colors exist I think will help us "step out of the box" and get creative.
Now the following pics aren't all the colors offered but it's easily 95% of them.
Note-I went to great lengths with my camera to get the colors to come out exactly as they appear in person so what you see is definitely what you get..
Here's a full list of pics of all the colors Barry sent me (size 3/8") in no particular order.

White

Gray

Red

Aqua

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Black with one yellow strand

Black with one red strand

Black with one green strand

Black with one gold strand

Black with one lavender strand

There's a black with one blue strand (not pictured) but Barry doesn't recommend it because it's almost impossible to see the blue strand in all the black strands.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Electric blue

Neon orange

Neon green

Neon yellow

Hot pink

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Purple (inside and outside to get the proper color match)

Camo weave

Black & white weave

Neon green and black stripes

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

Red and blue stripes

Carbon fiber

Black and white twisted stripes

Black and yellow twisted stripes

Red, white, and blue twisted stripes

Ok, that's all I have to present.
Thanks again to Barry at Furryletters for supplying me with all these samples.
I'm sure it took a long time to pull all the spools off the shelves and cut these. :thumbsup:
Here's hoping this thread helps your build as much as it has helped mine. :D

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
5,189 Posts
Nice. The yellow/black kind of looks like the caution tape; might be cool for an SPL demo car. But what color did you pick Bret?

And I bet you could cut that Nylon stuff by using a hot blade with decent amount of pressure to help it to stay together. Like a razor blade right out of a 400 deg. oven. :) Although, even after it's installed if it gets snagged it will ruin the aesthetics.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice. The yellow/black kind of looks like the caution tape; might be cool for an SPL demo car. But what color did you pick Bret?

And I bet you could cut that Nylon stuff by using a hot blade with decent amount of pressure to help it to stay together. Like a razor blade right out of a 400 deg. oven. :) Although, even after it's installed if it gets snagged it will ruin the aesthetics.
I know I will be using black and red for all my 1/0 gauge battery cables but for the others, I just haven't decided yet. :p
My wife thinks I should pick the colors that match my Arts.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is great Bret. Barry is an awesome seller. very fast shipping and he combines ship costs also, so a stand up guy too.

I got some high temperature ones from him also that look like the nylon examples you showed above. I haven't messed with it yet but was planning on using it for power and ground wires in the engine bay (power wire from battery until in the cabin and for big 3 power and ground wires). I wanted something different than plastic split loom that would not melt. I will likely be starting to run wires this weekend and will post how things go (I need to start a build log but I find myself done and then remembering to take pics. lol)

IMO, I agree with your wife. for the power wires use the plain jane, but using several of the "Art" colors would be nice and would help with identifying which one goes with which speaker, especially since you have so many going into the 'burban. You could use the same colors if you are going to make a system diagram poster for shows.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is great Bret. Barry is an awesome seller. very fast shipping and he combines ship costs also, so a stand up guy too.

I got some high temperature ones from him also that look like the nylon examples you showed above. I haven't messed with it yet but was planning on using it for power and ground wires in the engine bay (power wire from battery until in the cabin and for big 3 power and ground wires). I wanted something different than plastic split loom that would not melt. I will likely be starting to run wires this weekend and will post how things go (I need to start a build log but I find myself done and then remembering to take pics. lol)

IMO, I agree with your wife. for the power wires use the plain jane, but using several of the "Art" colors would be nice and would help with identifying which one goes with which speaker, especially since you have so many going into the 'burban. You could use the same colors if you are going to make a system diagram poster for shows.

^^^I like this idea. ^^^

(addendum)
I neglected to mention that Barry will give you a 10% discount you call him direct.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Nice! A TechFlex thread :D

Here's all the colors available in the standard PET 'plastic':

http://techflex.com/prod_pet.asp [click on the 'Colors' tab]

I'm doing my midbass and midrange wiring for the left and right channels in

red [left midbass]
neon red [left midrange/tweeter]
green [right midbass]
neon green [right midrange/tweeter]

I'm doing it this way to make it like the marker lights on a boat or plane, and to have the 'bright' colors mean 'bright', or 'higher' frequencies :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts