DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've seen that video before.
Rule of thumb, if you're supposed to cut it to length with scissors, rubbing it against a sharp edge will cut it as well.
Techfllex is designed to be just another layer of protection.
Like a pawn in a game of chess, it's cheap and expendable.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's why they make the heat resistant version. Of course if you take the non-heat resistant and try to burn it with an open flame...it's going to melt.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great write up, thanks for taking the time!

I believe that the color orange is used for high voltage lines (like in an electric car), so color choices could be important, depending on how its used.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Great write up, thanks for taking the time!

I believe that the color orange is used for high voltage lines (like in an electric car), so color choices could be important, depending on how its used.
I'm going to be using orange on my +12v line, with red heatshrink :rolleyes:

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nice thread. Also, for reference, the OEM's use bright YELLOW to designate the SRS Airbag system.
I can ditto this.
Yellow is for the air bag circuit and orange is for the hybrid circuit in oem vehicles.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Nice thread. Also, for reference, the OEM's use bright YELLOW to designate the SRS Airbag system.
I can ditto this.
Yellow is for the air bag circuit and orange is for the hybrid circuit in oem vehicles.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
Correct. The airbag wiring under my passenger's-side dashboard grill is covered in yellow split-loom.

I'm covering my +12v line with orange TechFlex and red heatshink as a kind of "do not cut" indicator... should I use red sleeving, instead? :surprised:

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Correct. The airbag wiring under my passenger's-side dashboard grill is covered in yellow split-loom.

I'm covering my +12v line with orange TechFlex and red heatshink as a kind of "do not cut" indicator... should I use red sleeving, instead? :surprised:
I think it's all a matter of taste.
Most just use one color for everything.
Traditionally, red has always been the designated color of + in an automobile with black for -.
Your call either way.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I cut mine with a hot solder iron, I keeps the edges from unraveling. Then use a piece of heat shrink on each end to keep it in place.

My favorite style is the carbon fiber. I bought a few rolls of each size, along with a few meters of each size of black heat shrink tubing, and a multi-pack of colored heat shrink, from Parts Express and Mouser/Digikey.

I'll post some pics if I can remember.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Finally a techflex thread. Now all I need to find is someone or someplace that sells it locally in my area. Furryletters ship worldwide but from where I'm from, customs tax almost anything.

·
Registered
169 Posts
carbon basically darkens the color of whatever is underneath it. i love it

btw the 3/8" and up are a much denser weave, i try to stay 1/8 or 1/4 when possible

·
Registered
19 Posts
What size would you recommend for 4 gauge power/ground? I was thinking 1/2, but it looks like 3/8 would work and be a bit tighter around the wire. I don't want it to be loose.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
What size would you recommend for 4 gauge power/ground? I was thinking 1/2, but it looks like 3/8 would work and be a bit tighter around the wire. I don't want it to be loose.
3/8" if you're running them separately.
1/2" if you're running them together.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

21 - 40 of 50 Posts