DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
They do look very similar...the specs are almost dead on too. The only difference I have noticed is that the voice coil is bigger on the CDT one. A bit better at power handeling perhaps.

·
Registered
240 Posts
And For what I know Audible physics which were Hustler Audio in the past mids are based on the well known founteks 88s... and so on and so on.
Will have to disagree... Audible physics is independent and was/is never based on any fountek drivers. Its all original design. :)

Hustler Audio is totally under different management

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Well I believe that a speaker no matter how small can be taken to its limits with power and frequency in the right enclosure. I understand that every speaker especially the smaller ones have a good and decent beaming point, but these play just as good as a Pioneer TS-S0662PRS (2 5/8"). Of course they are no L3 in size and performance but they can really do this with the right tuning and enclosure. Even its power can be maximized for clean high-output
A sealed enclosure will allow the driver to take more power because it applys a breakiing mechanism to the cone making it need more power to move... it won't make it play any louder though... it becomes less efficient. I will have time tonight to model it for you to see. You can't just make anything work how you want it just because you want to and have an enclosure.

·
Registered
883 Posts
did these go up on price? $180 for the black ones is a little more than I thought they were.

Juan, I defnitely want to hear yours. I am going to be doing a setup for a friend and am interested in possibly using these.
Casey, you can have a demo of the CDTs at the NC Spring GTG.

A sealed enclosure will allow the driver to take more power because it applys a breakiing mechanism to the cone making it need more power to move... it won't make it play any louder though... it becomes less efficient. I will have time tonight to model it for you to see. You can't just make anything work how you want it just because you want to and have an enclosure.
I see what you are saying AAAAAA. I would love to see what your model tells us about their performance. There is no shame in being corrected and educated. Though, I have never worked with any modeling software and do not understand fully what how to read them. I would really to see if it allows to input certain parameters (ie.. enclosure type, FR, power).

If I purchased a Mic and say REW software and did some testing, would that allow me to test them to tell how they perform like Eddie did?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I don't recall the exact CDT set I last purchased, I do recall they were 600$ for a 3 way set (ES tweeter, 4'' extended mid range, and 6.5 ES-o6+) and were in my vehicle for 2 months (normally I run drivers for at least 8months -1year before trying something new).

I try not to bash but give my honest impressions.
Based on my experience with CDT; I feel that they are SPL drivers. They do well at high volumes.

The draw back is that they lack clarity (nearly across the board) and can sound somewhat dull. The plus side is at higher volumes they aren't harsh, but that is the trade off.

They should be marketed for SPL, and in that respect they should do very well.
I am not alone in that thinking.

I would hate to have someone drop 600$ for CDT components for a SQ setup and be disappointed. No experience with Audible physics but have heard good things.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
OP: When you post measurements, you need to fix the scaling first off.

In the plots you posted change the scaling to:

SPL; 70-125dB would be more suitable
Distortion: 25-125dB
Waterfall: 0-4ms / 70-125dB

Second, you can't measure a driver inside the car (I assume you did that). The driver must be mounted on a flat baffle outside the car. Then you must gate the impulse response to make the measurement free from reflections from roof/floor/walls. Harmonic distortion plots must be made with a fixed input voltage, or an acoustic SPL @ x meter. I normally measure at 90dB/1m equivalent, if you measure nearfield (which you should) then SPL should be ~108dB at 12,5cm (inverse square law). Plot 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th harmonic, it's usually enough and makes the graph more readable. Waterfalls should be posted using CSD mode in 1/12 smoothing, 4ms range and ~0,1-0,2ms risetime, measure it reflection free in nearfield.

In RoomEQ you can gate the IR, from the IR Windows tab.

I'm not trying to be an asshole here but the measurements are useless unless you go through these steps to provide accurate and repeatable results. I also find aRTA to be better suited for speaker measurements ;)

·
Registered
883 Posts
I need to purchase a Mic and get some software, but this is good to know when your taking your measurements. Especially if you intend on posting your results. No sense in doing it and having questionable data.

What software is that?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Casey, you can have a demo of the CDTs at the NC Spring GTG.

I see what you are saying AAAAAA. I would love to see what your model tells us about their performance. There is no shame in being corrected and educated. Though, I have never worked with any modeling software and do not understand fully what how to read them. I would really to see if it allows to input certain parameters (ie.. enclosure type, FR, power).

If I purchased a Mic and say REW software and did some testing, would that allow me to test them to tell how they perform like Eddie did?
So after modeling, in it's optimal sealed enclosure at around 250hz it is
10db down from it's comfort range of 800hz and above. It can handle all of 20watts before reaching xmax.

For 250hz to play as loudly as 20 watts would at 1khz it would need something like 160 watts. It just won't work...

800hz seems like a sweet spot for this guy. Can take lots of power from there onwards without breaking xmax.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I don't recall the exact CDT set I last purchased, I do recall they were 600$ for a 3 way set (ES tweeter, 4'' extended mid range, and 6.5 ES-o6+) and were in my vehicle for 2 months (normally I run drivers for at least 8months -1year before trying something new).

I try not to bash but give my honest impressions.
Based on my experience with CDT; I feel that they are SPL drivers. They do well at high volumes.

The draw back is that they lack clarity (nearly across the board) and can sound somewhat dull. The plus side is at higher volumes they aren't harsh, but that is the trade off.

They should be marketed for SPL, and in that respect they should do very well.
I am not alone in that thinking.

I would hate to have someone drop 600$ for CDT components for a SQ setup and be disappointed. No experience with Audible physics but have heard good things.
Well the ES-06+ are subs. Their comp sets don't come with subs for the mids. So yes your miss match set would be as you described...

·
Registered
719 Posts
So after modeling, in it's optimal sealed enclosure at around 250hz it is
10db down from it's comfort range of 800hz and above. It can handle all of 20watts before reaching xmax.

For 250hz to play as loudly as 20 watts would at 1khz it would need something like 160 watts. It just won't work...

800hz seems like a sweet spot for this guy. Can take lots of power from there onwards without breaking xmax.
I don't wanna thread hijack but.....

Any chance you could model this driver?

Tang Band W3-1053SC 3" Full Range Driver | 264-880

It seems to be the easiest to fit in my upper door location without relocating an electronic door/window/lock module that doesn't wanna be relocated. Magnet diameter is also a real deal breaker for me not to mention the added ease of using a neo motor with no magnetic properties to mess with stuff around it.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
What do you mean it won't work to run them [email protected] 250hz+? What if they were run free-air at the same 150w/250hz? Or even say if they were vented, just like the L3s run best?
Ok so for a driver to either play lower or louder it will need to move more, it will need more excursion. So if it runs out of xmax at 20watts at 250hz then giving it more power will make it play outside of it's "comfort zone" meaning it won't sound as good and will be stressed and will most likely be bottoming out as it runs out of "movement"..it would be pushed past its mechanical limits.

I am saying that it plays 250hz to 500hz too quietly compared to the rest of it's bandwith and that you can't EQ it\give more power at that level to compensate and fix it because it will
-not sound as good
-brake it

There is no reason to run such a small driver that low basically. It's like trying to play a 6.5inch down to 30hz.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts