DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a totally enclosed Amp rack that will sit where my spare tire would normally go. I want to add cooling fans to the amp rack but only want the fans to run when they need too. Does anyone know of a temperature controlled fan switch that I can set a desired temperature for the fans to come on and forget about it???

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am building a totally enclosed Amp rack that will sit where my spare tire would normally go. I want to add cooling fans to the amp rack but only want the fans to run when they need too. Does anyone know of a temperature controlled fan switch that I can set a desired temperature for the fans to come on and forget about it???

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Check this link:

new product in action - SMD TM-1 Temperature Monitor / 3 Stage Fan Output (5amps onboard)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
767 Posts

Cheapest option with shipping to Canacks. Plug and play and easy to install. Looks cool too.

Or something like this. Looks trick in an install.

Some of these can be had with free shipping. CHeck out new egg.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Definitely go with a computer fan controller system. Not only will you save a boat load of money, but from a decent company you'll get good support and reliability.
The Steve Meade product is cool looking but severely overpriced

·
Listener of Music
3,284 Posts
I'll give one if you want it. I could definitely fit it in a small flat rate. So $5 bucks for shipping?

·
Listener of Music
3,284 Posts
I can probably throw in a couple 2" fans as well. Everything is brand new. Been sitting on my shelf for a while.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can probably throw in a couple 2" fans as well. Everything is brand new. Been sitting on my shelf for a while.
thanks for this offer as well. I already have my fans, I went with 3 inch, and I found a temperature controlled switching system online...should close this thread I guess

·
Registered
42 Posts
thanks for this offer as well. I already have my fans, I went with 3 inch, and I found a temperature controlled switching system online...should close this thread I guess
Can you post a link for the temperature controlled system that you have found and would be using?

Shall help others too who are looking in that direction for their builds. TIA.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you post a link for the temperature controlled system that you have found and would be using?

Shall help others too who are looking in that direction for their builds. TIA.

I decided to get one of these...you can get them with or without the little plastic case...
12 volt temperature controlled switch

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The fact you get a case for that price? He really scored!
I will let you know when I receive it and how well it works...my amp box is completely sealed with cooling fans so if the fans dont work my amps will likley shut down in thermal protection mode.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Well you know what they say about keeping a cool head. If it works for humans, it works for Semiconductors as well. :)
One trick I have done in the past is to use a simple HF Heat gun, and mount the sensors inside the case to the hottest part. That way I always had great luck keeping amps cool even in hot climates.

If you can mount your amps Vertical? Its the way to go. When you can't? I have used a trick that worked for me in almost every install I did where you have to hide the amps and keep the cooling silent with zero switches. Just a Relay and and that's it.

These fans are audibly silent. Take almost no power, and do the job if you mount them under the amp cover plate either via Holes or just leaving them off, Cheaper commodity amps, I just Dremmel the cover plate.

So I don't have to worry about air flow?

A silent PC water cooling pump, some extra fans and that's pretty much all you need to keep an amp cool.

And I did it all with some PC cooling option and relays for the larger fan outside mounted to the Frame or spare tire area if that is available.

Unless is over 90 ambient outside? Most of the time the outside fan never comes on.
The inexpensive bearings just need a Dap of oil, and you won't have to worry about them after that for a few years.

Total cost can be as little as $60 dollars for the whole setup. Its set and forget. Great if you are an installer. Use Pex Fittings, and you never worry about it ever again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts