DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had the urge to do a little system refresh after having the chance to audition some Morel top drivers in a buddys car. Here is a recap of my current system

3way active Front Stage
Tweet- Audiofrog GB10
Mid - Audiofrog GB 25
Midbass- Audiodevelopment Neo800
Sub- Oncore SW12

Amplification
Mosconi Pro 4/10 running the GB10s and 25s
Mosconi Pro 4/10 bridged - NEO800
Mosconi Pro 1/10 bridged - Oncore Sub

Helix Dsp.3 + director for all Dsp and processing duties.

I have had this setup for almost 2yrs now..Everything sounds good especially the substage…After couple retunes ..I just wanted a little more from the already great Front stage. I wanted something a little more smoother….The problem is that there is not too many highend stereo shops in my area…I was looking at all types high end speakers gear that offered a soft dome tweet..Dyns, Scans , Morels etc..
I was able to audition a Morel Supremo setup and was blown away by the picollo tweet and how silky smooth they sounded…I knew I wanted the same in my car 😎
So after some back and forth , I decided to make the move .

New Front stage
Tweet- Morel Picollo Supremo
Mid - Morel Carbon Elate MM3
Midbass- Audiodevelopment Neo800 / might switch to Morel Elate MW9 in the future.

I plan to have my installed build new Pillars to house the Picollos and mount the MM3 in the factory dash openings. I also plan to stay with the same amps and Helix Dsp. I will post pics when the install begins.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Car

Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Font Cameras & optics

Camera accessory Audio equipment Rim Font Cameras & optics

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 1 was just breaking down the actual pillars and figure out tweeter placement…Going to stay with the new mids in the factory dash location.

Circuit component Bumper Electrical wiring Cable Computer hardware

Finally got these monsters in .

Wood Gas Font Tints and shades Art

left and right pillars tweeter placement set…

Table Product Sunglasses Hat Cap

Man those Piccolos are huge.

Vehicle Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Sky Steering wheel

Rings placed on the Pillar to figure out placement.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I’ll be looking forward to seeing this - I really like the speaker choice (of course the car is cool, and great amps, and great DSP)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder why Woofers Etc called the Piccolo "Exotic Inverted" and aren't they suppose to come in a nice case instead of cardboard (or maybe the nice case is under the cardboard flap)? If not, are you sure they are genuine?

Looking forward to the build!
Yeah they are genuine..My guy is a authorized Morel Dealer 😎

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just got the Mids in today….Hmmm those grills are bad ass..Now I am thinking maybe I should do the tweet and mids on the A pillars…Any opinions on dash mounting the mids and doing the tweets close by on the A-pillars. Vs doing mids and tweets all together on the A-pillars….
Carbon Audio equipment Automotive design Loudspeaker Tints and shades

Sound box Musical instrument Audio equipment Wood Electronic instrument

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Those are great grills - worthy of being displayed.

Good question regarding pillars vs dash for the mid range. There are positives and negatives for both. I’m no expert and not an installer......but I just went through this.

I had my 3” drivers in the stock dash location and tweeters in the sails. I liked this set up - stock pillars, mid range hidden away (kind of sad to hide Thesis midrange). My problem with this set up was I couldn’t get much output above about 1500Hz - it fell off like a cliff. Other folks with dash mounted mids haven’t had this issue (perhaps because the mids are physically closer to the windscreen than how mine could be mounted).

I had pillars made, and I get much wider response. I don’t feel I have lost much depth moving the midrange from the dash to the pillars. You have to weigh the ‘risks’ and benefits of having the midrange and tweeters close together verses further apart - coherence may be gained or loss here.

So......I have heard many incredible dash mounted mids cars with tweeters in the pillars or sails, and of course I’ve heard many fantastic cars with both in the pillars. If you can try them on the dash - measure the response. If they aren’t measuring well, then pillars may be best option.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are great grills - worthy of being displayed.

Good question regarding pillars vs dash for the mid range. There are positives and negatives for both. I’m no expert and not an installer......but I just went through this.

I had my 3” drivers in the stock dash location and tweeters in the sails. I liked this set up - stock pillars, mid range hidden away (kind of sad to hide Thesis midrange). My problem with this set up was I couldn’t get much output above about 1500Hz - it fell off like a cliff. Other folks with dash mounted mids haven’t had this issue (perhaps because the mids are physically closer to the windscreen than how mine could be mounted).

I had pillars made, and I get much wider response. I don’t feel I have lost much depth moving the midrange from the dash to the pillars. You have to weigh the ‘risks’ and benefits of having the midrange and tweeters close together verses further apart - coherence may be gained or loss here.

So......I have heard many incredible dash mounted mids cars with tweeters in the pillars or sails, and of course I’ve heard many fantastic cars with both in the pillars. If you can try them on the dash - measure the response. If they aren’t measuring well, then pillars may be best option.

Thanks bro….I trust my installer. I will let him decide. 😎

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So one panel is slowly coming together…..The problem is trying to find fabric to match the factory headliner…Unfortunately it is not the alcantara material…Just waiting on the midbass drivers.

Shoe Wood Art Fish Automotive design

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Day 3…

We hit a little snag…The morels MM3s are little too big to fit in the factory dash opening without doing some modification to make the hole bigger….Had to pass on that because I wanted to be able to put the stock system back with no hiccups….So we decided just redo the pillars to house the mids and tweets…

Wood Chemical compound Gas Auto part Metal

it sucks that we had to redo The pillar……😩

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Rings made for the MM3s….

Wood Eyewear Flooring Tool Font

·
Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,190 Posts
Told you they were big! I'd have a pair too if they weren't. Looking great! Keep the pics coming.

·
Super Moderator
1,728 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the A-Pillars completed... !

I really like the Morel Grills and I'm glad Thesis came out with a similar one, (not a fan of the football helmet mouth/face guard look)....

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Steering part

Reactions: JohnnyOhh

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
getting close to finish line. So the only thing done today was the left door mid bass was installed and wired up. Both pillars need to be sanded and primer added…then wrapped with matching fabric which we have not found yet 😩

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood

Automotive tire Rim Automotive exterior Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

Automotive parking light Grille Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I was checking out your car the other day while we were figuring out what to do with mine. Nice install…the trunk looks great.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After about an hour of listening. This current setup kills my Audiofrog and Neo setup. I really was not expecting these drivers to sound much better. The stage height is high which is expected since the Speakers are in the pillars vs the dash. I am hearing subtle details in specific songs I did not hear with the old setup. I can't wait for the speakers to break in to do a second retune😃

Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive mirror Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 21 Posts