DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will post pics, Hoping to do a build log.

As you know from the other post this guy who we will call "mr.x"
Called me about doing replacements on his blown mb quartz doors and crappy dash speakers,

I still have to take a look at the car,

He doesnt Know Much, he had everything installed at Tweeter, so I am having Mid level expectations.................. :gossip:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well got the car today, Mr. X want's to do 6.5 polk audio, but the door baffle will only accpet 5-1/4, So this means custom baffle or some good 5-1/4's. What would be best ?
Is there pre made 6.5 speaker baffles for a read title. Here are some pics below.

[

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Well if that speaker "pod" is a sealed unit, you need to use a woofer that will play will in that. Some do, some don't.

Tweeter isn't (er...wasn't) a bad company, definitely a step above CC and Best Buy, but not necessarily on par w/ a true pro shop.

Which speakers blew? The tweets or the woofers?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well if that speaker "pod" is a sealed unit, you need to use a woofer that will play will in that. Some do, some don't.

Tweeter isn't (er...wasn't) a bad company, definitely a step above CC and Best Buy, but not necessarily on par w/ a true pro shop.

Did they go out of biz's ? or the quality of work just went down the drain ?

Which speakers blew? The tweets or the woofers?

The Right Woofer was complety blown, Def. The voice coil, If you push it in it plays, The Left is starting to go. The tweeters seem fine, but will be replaced with 4" with a tweet, these are in the dash.

The speaker pod Is not sealed it has a opening that i assume is used as a port. Should this be closed off ? If you look at the pod right where the nokia sticker is, u can see it go in. {P.S. you can click the image to make it bigger}, if you allready knew this, sorry.

I could build a similar speaker pod out of mdf or ply wood, and seal it up. and you could get a 6-1/2's in there.

But for simplicty's sake I would rather just him get a good pair of 5-1/4's any sugestions on that ?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also would 10 sq. feet be enough to dampen two Door's, The last time i did it it was a roll can't rembere how much was on there, Oh and i found an offical damper for my customers it's, wait for it.......................... damplifie by second skin

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
You said you want to replace the tweeter with a 4 1/2 and a tweeter? You mean a cheap coax? For the love of Pete....

IMO, this deserves some thinking.

You could put in a 5 1/4 hard-hitting midbass in those doors, and run a component midrange and tweeter in this car. You can put a bigger one in the doors, but you can make a 5 1/4 work.

10sq feet PER door would be my suggestion. Inside the door, and out.

Remind me what amps and other gear this car will have, because it sounds like you've got a potentially great 3-way front stage possible here.

Also...remind your customer that Polks are almost a straight 180 degree turn from the Quarts. Polks are smooth, and laid back. Quarts are...well...not.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You said you want to replace the tweeter with a 4 1/2 and a tweeter? You mean a cheap coax? For the love of Pete....

IMO, this deserves some thinking.
I don't he does, He bought all these speakers, those are still the polk's

You could put in a 5 1/4 hard-hitting midbass in those doors, and run a component midrange and tweeter in this car. You can put a bigger one in the doors, but you can make a 5 1/4 work.
What type, you allready know what i would use, maybe image dynamic ?

10sq feet PER door would be my suggestion. Inside the door, and out.
Really wow.... remember this is a porsche.

Remind me what amps and other gear this car will have, because it sounds like you've got a potentially great 3-way front stage possible here.
Jl audio 300/2v2 or simialr ,did not get it out.

Also...remind your customer that Polks are almost a straight 180 degree turn from the Quarts. Polks are smooth, and laid back. Quarts are...well...not.

So should we just nix the custom door pod idea ??

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I got the volume of the case for yall

11 Cups of water = 2.6 L = 0.091818 ft³

REMEMBER THIS IS PORTED !

I rounded from 2.596 to get 2.6 there was about a tsb left so i though it would be okay

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What about these they lower Vas

CX54 - Image Dynamics 5.25
Sealed enclosure volumes are as follows: CX52 & CX54 .04 to .2 ft3
These seem the best

CL-5 - CDT Audio Classic 5.25
0.1414 ft3

I'm starting to Think Active so screw x-overs.

From looking at spec's

The dynamics Should get a bit lower (55Hz - 4kHz )

The Cdt's Should get higher (80Hz ~ 7khZ ), but have a broder range.

I would need a set of tweets to follow suit.

Oh and btw We could do, 4" Speaker And A tweet In the dash, And this would make a True 3-way set up.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I'm here, but I am out of solutions. There is too much misunderstanding going on, too much difficulty due to the vehicle, a customer who owns a FRIGGIN' Porsche trying to low-ball an install, etc.

I know precisely what I'd do to the vehicle, but your customer isn't going to take the cost. He had a premium set of speakers, killed them, and now wants cheaper speakers (he'll blow them too.)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm here, but I am out of solutions. There is too much misunderstanding going on, too much difficulty due to the vehicle, a customer who owns a FRIGGIN' Porsche trying to low-ball an install, etc.

I know precisely what I'd do to the vehicle, but your customer isn't going to take the cost. He had a premium set of speakers, killed them, and now wants cheaper speakers (he'll blow them too.)
Dude I feel the same way !!!
it's a cheap porsche ;) .
I got the sets to match up good as far as the freq's

On a side note should I seal those speaker pod's or leave them ported ?

This is what i sent him

Okay Here is the Skinny, You can’t use those 6-1/2’s, they would fit, but only if you build a custom box in the door. But the problem with this is that you will not be able to make a box big enough to supply ANY 6-1/2’s with enough room to sound good.

PLEASE READ THIS FULLY, After you have made a decision reply to me and I will make you a full shopping list to make things easier,

If you have any better ideas let me know and we will figure something out.

So here are the options.

This first option would be a true 3-way set-up, and is the best,
However it will cost more and, you may need a additional amp and three-way ready Head unit because we would run these in a *“active setup”*

CX54 - Image Dynamics 5.25 These would be for the door’s

D342 - Diamond Audio 4.5" These would be for the dash.

New Headunit, Alpine iDA-X200

The new amp you would need, you could replace current with this one XS6600 - Phoenix Gold XS 6 Ch, Or add this one e4300 - JL Audio 4 Ch 300 Watt Amplifier for a total of 2 amp’s

We could do a Half “Active” setup and you would only need a 4-channel amp instead of a 6-channel or one 4-channel and one two channel.

If you do “Half Active” setup you could do this

e4300 - JL Audio 4 Ch 300 Watt Amplifier

or add this amp

e2150 - JL Audio 2 Ch 150 Watt Amplifier

Sound damper I highly Recommend this ! you will need 20 sq. feet

Damplifier™ is the most impressive noise and vibration mat 68$ shipped for 20 sq. feet

Prices for this setup.
Fully active /With the new 6-channel amp.
818.00$ Plus 200$ for the install

Fully Active/ just adding a 4-channel amp.
778.00$. Plus 200$ for the install

Half Active/ New 4-channel amp
778.00$ Plus 200$ for the install

Half Active/ add 2-channel amp
698.00$ Plus 200$ for the install

Half Active and you use your 4” polks, and a extra 2-channel amp Might need a Headunit I need the current one’s model number
428.00$ Plus 150 for the install
578.00$ if you need a headunit, Plus 150 for the install

If you don’t care about any sound damping subtract 68$ for the sound damping and 30$ for labor.

Option number Two Keep’s your current amp and Head Unit, and is a Passive setup.
Note that this would be the same setup as you have now

Either one of these system would work. The only difference between these speakers is Price and their power handling, they are in order of price low to high.

D652A - Diamond Audio 5.25" 2-Way 120W

D651s - Diamond Audio 5.25"

S500a - Diamond Audio HEX 5.25"

CXS52- Image Dynamics 5.25

Sound damper I highly Recommend this ! you will need 20 sq. feet

Damplifier™ noise and vibration mat 68$ shipped for 20 sq. feet

Prices for this setup.

Using these D652A - Diamond Audio 5.25" 2-Way 120W
278.00$ Plus 75$ for the install

Using these D651s - Diamond Audio 5.25"
288.00$ Plus 75$ for the install

Using theseS500a - Diamond Audio HEX 5.25"
308.00$ Plus 75$ for the install

Using theseCXS52- Image Dynamics 5.25
397.00$ Plus 75$ for the install

If you don’t care about any sound damping subtract 68$ for the sound damping and 30$ for labor

I know that 6-ch PG amp is a bit weak, but it will keep him from blown it all up and their small speakers anyway.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Other projects have my interests for the moment. I've got two systems to build, so I'm planning those out now. One for my bro-in-law, and one for a friend of the family.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts