DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been done a few times, i just had a quick question as im about to do it when my 180 amp alt comes in.

My battery is side mounted and am going to convert it to post with a quick adapter,

My question is, with this little adapter, am i going to loose any power the my new alt is supplying to my battery? The guy at lordco said that it would be pointless as there would be an amperage drop from this connection, im sure he is full of crap but some insight would be helpful

its an 01' grand prix gt for what its worth, also using 1 guage as its cheap locally

Thanks -Damger

·
Registered
355 Posts
I wouldn't think it would hurt anything, but I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you talking about adding additional post terminals? As in your batt. can have 4, but came with just 2? I wish I had that luxury! Seems to me all those terminals would be on the same bus- if you could open up the case and look at the internals. If that's the case, then the amp/voltage drop would be insignificant...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it only has two and they are side mounted, i am going to convert the sides to a post so i can run a battery terminal on the posts, i was asking if there would be a voltage drop from the conversion, the guy at the store said that there would be, but it really doesn't make sense that it would,

thanks for the reply

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
To know for sure we would need to see a pic of it. But unless it's an extention that is VERY out of the ordinary, it will not affect current flow what so ever. Conducted length is waging more detrimental then conducter cross sectional area.

*way, not waging. Stupid autocorrect.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just did this in my grand prix, it will work just fine it also makes the tranny shift much smoother:) But if its an option consider like an optima yellow deep cycle. I have the adapter set up like your talking about and really it just turns into a headache after awhile. The optima that is made for our car comes with both side and top post which is perfect and keeps things much simpler and more reliable too. Also im guessing by the fact your going to a 180A your running loud bass, which makes the yellow top a very good idea anyways.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the moment the deep cycle isn't a option, just trying to get my alt in so i have a car again (been month and a bit), :/

·
Registered
55 Posts
Already stated but you should be okay with a post adapter...

If your really curious you can always run a multimeter before and after and see if it has any effect.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think he was just trying to up sell me a battery instead of just doing the post conversion, ill do the volt meter test before and after, but i doubt a difference will be made, and those terminals are nice, but i will be connecting my 2 awg for my system as well as the 1 awg for the "big 3"

·
Registered
256 Posts
didn't think a GP had space above it for top posts. Don't they have that brace across them that you have to take out to remove the battery and have the hood 1/2" away from it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah it does have the bar above, my battery is only side posted so i don't plan to use top posts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts