DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Great thread explaining the "basics" and common misconceptions.

Don't wanna bring confusion into the thread but I tend not to 'experiment' much with crossovers though. If you use 4th order L-R acoustic slopes everywhere many problems are avoided, I simply set crossovers considering modal nulls and "non-linear distortion levels vs. output" in the lower frequencies and the power response of the mids upper limit. Have both drivers -6dB at the xover point and make sure they sum perfectly. The phase at xover can be confirmed by looking at the group delay for example.

·
18,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I realize I left something out in the crossover section so I'll have to address that before moving on.

The Tuning section; that's going to be my best attempt at relating all the lessons learned to you guys so hopefully you can benefit from it. That said, it's going to take me some time to provide data sets and graphics. I can type up the words on the fly in a relatively short time (a few hours for everything) but I think the graphics will go a long way to really driving the message home. So, be patient with me and it'll get done. :)

- Erin

·
18,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Could have sworn I sub'd this earlier. Great read so far. Keep it coming!
you sub'd the other thread. I wound up deleting that one because I couldn't re-order things without making a huge mess of the thread. so, I punted and started this one. :/

thanks for the feedback. hopefully it helps. at some point in this thread I'll start trying to break down my tuning methods. but I need to build a base understanding and explain some key terms before I do that. :)

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Awesome job dude. My brother-in-law just started reading through threads on DIYMA and has expressed a desire to learn more of the basics.......I'm sending him a link to this thread right now!

21 - 40 of 178 Posts