DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Great thread explaining the "basics" and common misconceptions.

Don't wanna bring confusion into the thread but I tend not to 'experiment' much with crossovers though. If you use 4th order L-R acoustic slopes everywhere many problems are avoided, I simply set crossovers considering modal nulls and "non-linear distortion levels vs. output" in the lower frequencies and the power response of the mids upper limit. Have both drivers -6dB at the xover point and make sure they sum perfectly. The phase at xover can be confirmed by looking at the group delay for example.
I agree...so long as you are saying 4th order summed response. For those that don't know what I mean, you can't just pick a LR4/4th order/24db slope (just to cover all forms of description) and say it's good. Your speaker has a natural roll-off and you need to combine that roll-off with the electronic slope you choose. So, for example, if your speakers have a -6db slope, you'd want a 18db electronic slope to achieve the 24db slope.

My 0.02

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
As always, i'm impressed with the attention to details. this is one of the things that i love about this forum, the willingness of people to share the info they have gained via long hard lessons.
Thanks Erin!!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Damn man this is awesome. Exactly what i need about now, Thanks.

Now I feel like im missing out because i just got an ms-8 and most the tunig is done fro me.

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
I have a feeling that links to this thread are going to be scattered all over DIYMA in the future. Thanks for all of your efforts on this Erin.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
very helpful, thanks again Erin. The only issue I will probably run into is not having the trained ear that some of you guys have. I want to try and do as much as I can but will definitely be getting some assistance. I just like to know what changes Im making and this definitely helps

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I agree...so long as you are saying 4th order summed response. For those that don't know what I mean, you can't just pick a LR4/4th order/24db slope (just to cover all forms of description) and say it's good. Your speaker has a natural roll-off and you need to combine that roll-off with the electronic slope you choose. So, for example, if your speakers have a -6db slope, you'd want a 18db electronic slope to achieve the 24db slope.

My 0.02
Yes indeed. I was talking about the acoustic slopes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My Man! You just saved me from posting new threads. Great info and easier to find than spending hours searching through other threads.

I appreciate the initiative, and time and effort this is going to take. Thanks.

Oh... and sub.

·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
awesome. that's what I was hoping to do here. give one concise source for the more technical aspects of this hobby in a manner that doesn't need a phD to understand. glad to help.

I will say most of this would be a WHOLE lot easier to explain if we all were face to face and had a whiteboard. :D

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
awesome. that's what I was hoping to do here. give one concise source for the more technical aspects of this hobby in a manner that doesn't need a phD to understand. glad to help.

I will say most of this would be a WHOLE lot easier to explain if we all were face to face and had a whiteboard. :D
we could set up a GOTO meeting and have you present........ then you'd have a white board. we could record the sessions and add it to the posts....

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
They actually did that a few years at the national Dodge Neon gtg, with the Chrysler head engineer who oversaw the neon's design process. Had all kinds of how to's to fix problems that weren't supposed to be there, but occurred during production. The guy road raced them in spec neon and scca road touring.

Subbed. Lots of good info scattered over posts Erin has made, nice to have it all in one place.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
turn this into a video series, charge a nominal fee, for each section of knowledge blocks. Probably could pull it all into 8 sections, sort of a DSP primer and AutoSound 2000 briefs, mashed up.

maybe get a couple of guest speaker sections, Andy Wehmeyer, Jon Whitledge, that Summers guy, I'm sure there's a few others that could give an hour, maybe even have a little SMD spot for high-decibel, a couple of engineer types, maybe even Scott at Hybrid, whoever...

could go a long way with little budget, Kickstarter the series, who knows?

a full-on tuning clinical, starring industry heavy hitters, and oration/production by the personable party-man Hardaway, Hardaway's online guide to today's higher end...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Fantastic stuff.

The flow of the information is really well done too.

Allot of things I've read about over the past few years, but now much more concise in my head, lol.

41 - 60 of 178 Posts