DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: The Essentials of Sound Quality: Advice Based on My Trials and Tribulations

Okay, here's a newbie question:
Let's assume that my DSP doesn't put out a clean signal near maximum (0db on my H800). Let's say 1k tone clips at -22db setting on the dial (running through digital optical via AirPlay, which I do assume to not clip at maximum). Higher tones clip down to -25db. So let's be safe and say that max unclipped signal is -25db.
This is the DSP volume level that I should be setting amp gains to with a -10db 1K tone?

And for tweeters, I should be using something more like 4K tone, right? The h800 won't let me lower the tweeter crossover below 1K, and it seems that being more into the range it will be playing is better to test than right at the crossover point, no? (generally have HP at 2.2K 4th order).

Mainly asking because I set the gains using -10db tones with DSP level at -0db, and had to turn the midbass amp down to about 1/3 to get 21V (output on amp is 115W @ 4ohm). It sounded like dogs**t, distorting the top end so much it was unbearable. It's only listenable with the volume (DSP) set to <-20db, which makes me think is due to signal clipping. At that level, you can carry out a conversation above the music, it's so low...

Any advice welcome.
Okay, answered my own question.
-10db tone at -25db on the dial doesn't get me anywhere close to 21V on the midbass amp with the gain maxed. The sub amp won't even pretend to want to hit 30v. Even with -1db tone and -15db on the dial, the sub amp gets a bit over 22v with max gain.

However, it does sound awesome now...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for all the information it is greatly appreciated. You did a great job of explaining many of the more complex details as well as the interactions of changes that are made when tuning. Instead of reading countless threads where the replies seem to be the revolving 'my way is better than yours' or 'i can tune a 500 system an it will blow your doors off tuning is all that matters' It's nice to have something meaningful to revisit. Everyone started somewhere it's cool that you took the time to provide an excellent starting point for others.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Test cd link is bad, looking for 1/3oct correlated pn.

Any chance anyone can help me out?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Erin :)
I read in one of your other comments that you stoped tuning for a house curve long time ago.
Can you please post your new insights from the past years ?
I have reached to a level where i know how to get a flat curve with umik and rew.
I understood from sqnut (he gave awesome advices that correspond to what i am experiencing ) to further pinpoint my own perceived flat curve and from there to tune for tonality.

Once I understand what I like, would it be good to re edit the housecurve (i use andy) to my liking and re-EQ using rew ?
Or would it be simpler just to attack certain frequencies like you said from the beginning without tuning to a flat first?

I am currently training my ears with harman how to listen :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Everyone should read this thread. You can always learn more and never stop learning. All the beginner tuning threads guys have started could have been prevented just reading this. What I love about this hobby is... It's part science, part subjective and part objective. Everyone has a different preference, style, and opinion. Regardless it's a good read even a refresher for guys that are experienced but done tune all the time or for a living

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I personally do individual drivers level matching, individual EQ, then system XO followed by rough/measured TA. Then repeat the same by ears to verify.

The key is in what to listen for and the devil is in the details. The sequence will be back and forth.

When I started out, the first thing I did was XO. Then TA with EQ last.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
How do you keep from blowing tweets?

·
Registered
107 Posts
How do you keep from blowing tweets?
Before doing anything I input a basic set of xo settings. Usually 3500/18 for the tweeters and move it around from there.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Pink noise at reasonable volume will not blow a tweeter, even at full range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

161 - 178 of 178 Posts