DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
eh, depends who you ask lol. I haven't used super expensive cables but in comparing $40 stinger rca's to $10 wallmart rca's honestly i didn't notice any difference. same with speaker wire. but that's just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Don't really understand the whole mystery about cables. There's inductance, capacitance, resistance that can affect the signal, perpaps outside noise aswell, like RF. L/C/R can all be measured. Resitance should be that low so it doesn't matter much anyway. If R is an issue, use a larger diameter cable.

In car audio, I would say that a good insulated cable that doesn't pick up much noise is the best one. Also it's length that matters too, these values are measured with a per m/ft. The longer the cable is, the worse the degradation of the signal becomes. There might be some differences between signal cables, but loudspeaker cables... as long as they are not too small I highly doubt that anyone could tell the difference. In my opinion, there are no reasons buying overly-expensive cables in the realm of car audio, spend your money on something else that actually improves audio reproduction noticably.

·
Registered
340 Posts
i have a slight noise problem. not sure if its from my generic RCA cables. already purchased twisted shielded ones.

how about for speaker wire? is it possible that speaker wire can cause unwanted noise? my speaker wiring goes from the amp... passes through the OEM harness... then back to some wiring before it goes to the speaker.

could i get some improvements by directly wiring the speakers to the amp skipping the harness entirely?

just trying to make sure my noise isn't from wiring.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
What kind of noise? Hiss or alternator whine?

Noise from speaker wire is unlikely, it contain a high level signal unlike the low level signal in your RCAs. Lowlevel outputs will always be more sensitive to outside noise. I've run speaker cables along power wires and OEM harness countless times without any issues.

Is the noise present with the car off? Checked grounding?

·
Registered
17 Posts
No, they aren't any better. Past a certain point anyway.

As long as you have good conductor (oxygen free copper), good terminations, and good shielding you're golden. Twisten pair cabling also helps in rejecting noise. But one twisted pair isn't better than another. There isn't any magic or other hocus pocus going on inside of the cable. Just copper, insulation, shielding (maybe), and physics.

Some very cheap cables may have higher gauge conductors or lower quality insulation, but past a certain points all will perform fairly similarly.

·
Registered
340 Posts
What kind of noise? Hiss or alternator whine?

Noise from speaker wire is unlikely, it contain a high level signal unlike the low level signal in your RCAs. Lowlevel outputs will always be more sensitive to outside noise. I've run speaker cables along power wires and OEM harness countless times without any issues.

Is the noise present with the car off? Checked grounding?
i have super super slight alternator whine. noticed it when tweets were moved to custom pillars from the stock door locations. its only noticeable when you look for it with the radio off. when music starts playing... you couldn't hear it at all. no noise when car is off.

plus... i have some hiss.

just wanna get all the basics right for now so i purchased twisted shielded RCAs (stinger 6000 series) to replace my untwisted, and unshielded generic RCAs. haven't installed them yet though.

asking about the speaker wire since once i get to having the RCAs installed... i can opt to have the speaker wiring replaced having the installer skip the OEM harness. if i COULD get even a bit of improvement on anything by replacing my speaker wiring... id do it too as its speaker wiring is relatively cheap anyways.

noise can be from my stock HU (can't change it), or the LOCs. planning to ditch the LOCs entirely once i get funds for a processor... which comes after amp number 2 (mono amp). i may also try going for a line driver as a bandaid solution until i get funds for the processor if that may also help.

·
Registered
296 Posts
There was a white paper done by Dan Wiggins of Adire Audio, comparing UTP (I think it was CAT5) and shielded coax twisted-pair (Belden 8412). In testing, Dan ran the signal wire down the hood of his Ranger (I think), and measured signal in vs. signal out. I believe he also used a subwoofer coil to introduce an inducted signal). There was a significant difference between the two, and the 8412 mopped up on the UTP.

With that said, this is only the case IF you're running signal wire near high-noise devices. That makes a significant difference in what you end up with, results-wise.

Eric

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There was a white paper done by Dan Wiggins of Adire Audio, comparing UTP (I think it was CAT5) and shielded coax twisted-pair (Belden 8412). In testing, Dan ran the signal wire down the hood of his Ranger (I think), and measured signal in vs. signal out. I believe he also used a subwoofer coil to introduce an inducted signal). There was a significant difference between the two, and the 8412 mopped up on the UTP.

With that said, this is only the case IF you're running signal wire near high-noise devices. That makes a significant difference in what you end up with, results-wise.

Eric
Wow that's the first time I've heard of a situation where the highend cables actually have a use

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wow that's the first time I've heard of a situation where the highend cables actually have a use
Vehicles are definitely a high (electrical) noise environment, much as pro audio environments can be. The Belden 8412 is a mic cable, which is twisted within a coax shield. It's definitely not cheap, but making your own isn't terrible and you can avoid some of the possible problems that way.

Eric

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Those aren't "highend" cables, they're for an entirely different purpose than car audio.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Yes there is a difference. I can hear the difference between $25 JL/RF/Kicker/Stinger rca's and $5 monoprice/Walmart/generic ones. That being said, I don't hear a difference between $100 rca's and $25 rca's. So basically don't buy the cheap generic ones, but no need to spend hundreds either. Like most things, meeting in the middle is the sweet spot.

Also, quality speaker wire is very cheap. Why not just get yourself good speaker wire and be done with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
One of the advantages of car audio forums is that, there are a lot fewer threads like this, compared to 2ch forums:).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts