DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm pursuing a complete car audio setup but the front stage has had me tearing my hair out. Of course I did audition a couple of front comps but I can't audition them all. Need your opinions, inputs, comparisons.

Looking at:

Seas
Dynaudio
Morel
Audison
Peerless
Rainbow
Eton
Vifa
PHL

Background:

It needs to be a 2-way system (don't mind mixing and matching the 6.5/7 and the tweeter pairs if need be)
Power thrown at each midbass driver will be around 225W RMS and each tweeter will get around 100W RMS.
I'll be running it active. Also, less fatiguing and less harsh tweeters preferred.
Also looking at value - Trying to keep it under $1000, but if the speakers are a night and day difference from the ones under 1000 then I don't mind going up to $1500.

From what I've heard so far, the transient response from the seas, vifa, PHL, and Eton keep them ahead from the rest of the pack.

But in a car setup, what is more sensible and durable?

I'll be looking at keeping the selection I make for years to come. So it's really important a right decision be made with as much research as possible.

·
Read Only
117 Posts
if you are lookin for somthing in that range you have listed, you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding set of speakers than the new illusion carbon c6 and the tweeter is Absolutlely AMAZING!!!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Why isn't Dyn Audio on your list? Dyn audio makes superb products that you will want to keep for years. Tweeters are detailed without being harsh at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What did you audition and what are your thoughts? In that price range you should look at Focal, Illusion Audio and HAT.
I auditioned the following:

Audison Voce: I liked the midbass/range but not so much the tweeters
HAT Unity - They sounded like a completely different breed (not saying good or bad), and something not of my taste.
Hertz Mille: Again good midbass/range but hated the tweeters. Tweets seemed like they lack definition.
Focal KRX3: At first I thought wow, but then again I'm sure they'll make my ears bleed over time. Too bright for me.
Dynaudio Esotec 242: Really liked these, but the imaging and staging was very poor. A little too laid back on the tweets, not that I didn't like them.

So overall I've liked the audison voce and the dynas, but not completely happy with either.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you are lookin for somthing in that range you have listed, you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding set of speakers than the new illusion carbon c6 and the tweeter is Absolutlely AMAZING!!!
Isn't illusion audio - carbon made by Peerless? (Mentioned above in my list)

So wouldn't it be better to pick up a set of good midbass drivers from Peerless, or does going with IA have some other unique advantage?

Also, I haven't heard anything from IA yet. How do they compare with the others.

·
Read Only
117 Posts
ok so after going over what you have listen too and i can tell you that the the focals after being set up properly will issue no listning problems and will not make your ears bleed... i have never had the issues that all the people on here have made claim to them being harsh.... I have had k3ps, krx2s, poly glass 165s, and its all setup... i have been a long time focal user but that has changed here as of recently as i am going to be using illusion and the c6s are very detailed, airy and the sound stage is anazingly accurate and stable. The tweeter is a copper beryillium hybrid and its better than the utopia be tweeter in my opinion...
the dyns are very laid back and soft sounding that and they dont take abuse very well...

the audison/hertz tweeter is awful and i have had voce and mlk165s and they were brighter than my krx2s by far..
if you heard the krxs in a board they sound way bright... in a car and set up properly you will be very suprised..

and to me all the hat cars sound alike if you compete they're great if you are going to listen to them all day u might want to look else where also..

but if you like dyn you should ind a morel car to listen to..

also yes the new illusion line has been totally revamped, still made by peerless but seriously redone from the ground up...
the c6 plays fulrange with out a problem and sound amazing doing it... the tweeter though is the magic...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Very happy with my Rainbow Vanadiums, under 1k

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Scans are not on your list? If you can mod small enclosures for the scan mid in the doors I'd go the Scan route. If that is a problem, I'd go with a Focal / Dyn mid bass and the Scan Illuminator tweeter. Cross them around 3khz. Love the Scan for their clinical accuracy. Or you can go with raw drivers and get similar results for a lot less.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so after going over what you have listen too and i can tell you that the the focals after being set up properly will issue no listning problems and will not make your ears bleed... i have never had the issues that all the people on here have made claim to them being harsh.... I have had k3ps, krx2s, poly glass 165s, and its all setup... i have been a long time focal user but that has changed here as of recently as i am going to be using illusion and the c6s are very detailed, airy and the sound stage is anazingly accurate and stable. The tweeter is a copper beryillium hybrid and its better than the utopia be tweeter in my opinion...
the dyns are very laid back and soft sounding that and they dont take abuse very well...

the audison/hertz tweeter is awful and i have had voce and mlk165s and they were brighter than my krx2s by far..
if you heard the krxs in a board they sound way bright... in a car and set up properly you will be very suprised..

and to me all the hat cars sound alike if you compete they're great if you are going to listen to them all day u might want to look else where also..

but if you like dyn you should ind a morel car to listen to..

also yes the new illusion line has been totally revamped, still made by peerless but seriously redone from the ground up...
the c6 plays fulrange with out a problem and sound amazing doing it... the tweeter though is the magic...
I listened to the Focals in a properly set up 3 way system in a BMW 5. They sounded amazing but I over some time of listening I'd turn the volume down and keep it there. Probably just my preference.

And about the IA Carbon C6 - the Maximum Linear Excursion is at ± 7.7 mm. Isn't that too low?

Also, as I mentioned, if we're looking at the Illusion Audios, then why not Peerless? or Seas?

·
Read Only
117 Posts
if you are looking xmax the dyns are only 4.5 focal krx 5.5 morel elate and supremo 5.5..
alot of your sq subs like the ultimo, kx33, illusion c12 and a few others are only 12.5 mm of linear travel..
so 7.7 is alot on a 6.5 driver is a lot

the illusion is a dedicated car audio line and revamped by orca for SQ..
And the really the only thing peerless has to do with the new illusion line is manufacturing... illusion was redesigned here in the USA in camarillo, ca...
i heard illusion at CES, iheard the hat G35, morels Jetta w/ Virtus 3ways and the GTI W/ Elate 3ways, arc audios Cruze with the black series, German Maestro's Civic w/ m lines, Hertz Fiat 500, Rf and steve meads ISF with Power T5s.

and listening to all those cars i would say.. my favorite car was
was Casey Thorsen's Morel jetta
2) German Maestro Civic
3) Arc Audio Cruze
4) RF Steve meade ISF
and the illusions are still my favorite! they take almost no eqing to make them sound good... they are a speaker you put in and they just sound great! ask bing at simplicity in sound

1 - 14 of 14 Posts