DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

221 - 240 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Little things tend to take hours to complete. I still needed a good way to secure my sub amp. This would be the last little bit of fabrication I needed before I pull the trigger and complete the system (for now).

A guy came out of nowhere on the Macan Forum and asked why I wasn't using the 6mm stud on the bottom of my battery compartment to help secure my sub amp. What stud? Turns out it was hidden under this plastic cap:

I could make a bracket that bolts onto that sucker:

The was one. And then there were more:

Amp fits tight as a glove. It ain't going anywhere:

In retrospect I need to buy some sexier looking hardware and fasteners to give this a polished look. But for now all is good. Need to pre-program my main amp tonight and create a wiring harness for it to interface to the vehicle. But, that's about. it. Almost ready to fire the system up.

Ge0

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
I won't go into great detail here. Just finishing my tweeter install.

Zip tie my new speaker wire run to the factory harness so the new wire does not fall back into the dash. Then, cut to proper length.

Connect tweeter and stuff back into the hole

Ge0

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
The last few days I had been working my butt off.

Pre-wire my amp board. Crimp on smaller ferrules.

Yep, working at my kitchen table in the rain.

I purchased a mating connector for the main amp harness. I decided to splice into it by using these Amazon butt splices that contain adhesive and solder. If I had to do this again I would prefer to solder wires and cover with heat shrink. I don't trust these splices 100%.

Here is the vehicle harness mating connector I purchased. This saved me from hacking into the factory harness. But, required more splices.

Bolting in numerous connections with crimped ferrules.

Bundling all of the splices. I wrapped each splice in cloth tape just to be safe. I found a few instances where wires wanted to poke through the plastic heat shrink.

Strapping back un-used connections on the mating harness.

Fully assembled amp board

Ge0

Reactions: bbfoto

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Powering up and testing the amp board.

Using this peripheral the amplifier creates its own private wifi network. I can link to the amplifier wireless with my PC or phone and set it up.

A science experiment...

Routing I/O and setting up channel parameters in software. There are 9 channels total:

Front tweeter L plays 3.5KHz and up using 24dB/octave LR crossover
Front tweeter R plays 3.5KHz and up using 24dB/octave LR crossover
Front midrange L plays 300Hz to 3.5KHz using 24dB/octave LR high pass and low pass crossovers
Front midrange R plays 300Hz to 3.5KHz using 24dB/octave LR high pass and low pass crossovers
Front midbass L plays 70Hz to 300Hz using 24dB/octave LR high pass and low pass crossovers
Front midbass R plays 70Hz to 300Hz using 24dB/octave LR high pass and low pass crossovers
Center channel plays 300Hz to 3.5KHz using 24dB/octave LR high pass and low pass crossovers
Differential rear fill mono channel plays 300Hz using a 24dB/octave LR high pass and 12dB/octave LR low pass
Sub channel will play 70Hz and down using a 24dB/octave low pass and 36dB/octave subsonic filter at 15Hz

All my initial settings are subject to change. This was just a good starting point. Many days of measuring and adjusting will determine final settings.

Ge0

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Installing the amp:

Tie the factory harness behind the amp:

Ready to mount:

Bolt amp rack in place:

Up and running. I was so excited to hear sound from my car again I didn't bother dressing up the wires at this time. Maybe tomorrow. It's pretty cool that I can fit all this gear in the rear quarter panel. Good thing Porsche vehicles use a flared out rear end.

Now I need to re-assemble the rear trim so can re-install the subwoofer.

Ge0

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Routing main power:

Remove this cap over the positive battery terminal:

Bolt the amp power feed to the non-fused started feed on the battery terminal block.

Re-install the cover. Nice fit.

Secure down the 2 way distribution block. Each feed is protected by a 60A fuse. The sub amp power wire is 8ga automotive grade wire and has a 3ft run. The main amp power feed is also 8ga and has a 5ft run. No problem running smaller gauge wire here since the runs are so short. One of the nice things about having the battery and main power distribution center right next to your amps.

All covered up. Ready to put the trunk back together.

Ge0

Reactions: dgage

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Thank you sir. I try. I still have a number of sound treatments to do. And then there is tuning. And then there is drivers swaps followed by more tuning. It never ends :)

Ge0

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Not too much of an update today. I have a lot to learn about the Helix DSP software.

Tidied up the remaining wiring:

Start up the system:

Let's start configuring

Ge0

·
Registered
585 Posts
Dude, put some lights inside the garage!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #232

Reactions: BP1Fanatic

·
Registered
585 Posts
(y)

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
I have a tiny little garage that is separate from my house. It's dimly lit. In a pinch I could probably work out there.

Ge0
Those LED work lights can come in a bit handy for that.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
HOLD ON A MOMENT... Some dude named Erin offered to Klippel test my MW182's. Change of plans. I'm going to pull them out and send for test before I put any hours on them. Rather, I will try something slightly different first. But, need to prep them for use.

Added speaker leads and gaskets:

Now add silicone goop to seal between rings:

Let these dry over night then mount in car tomorrow. I was going to spend my next 2 days sound deadning my doors anyway. May as well swap mid-bass drivers while I'm at it. Then Erin can have the Dyns for a few weeks to do his mad scientist stuff.

Ge0

·
Registered
199 Posts
HOLD ON A MOMENT... Some dude named Erin offered to Klippel test my MW182's. Change of plans. I'm going to pull them out and send for test before I put any hours on them. Rather, I will try something slightly different first. But, need to prep them for use.

Added speaker leads and gaskets:

Now add silicone goop to seal between rings:

Let these dry over night then mount in car tomorrow. I was going to spend my next 2 days sound deadning my doors anyway. May as well swap mid-bass drivers while I'm at it. Then Erin can have the Dyns for a few weeks to do his mad scientist stuff.

Ge0
Love it. Thanks for sending them for testing. Will be interesting to see how they compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Love it. Thanks for sending them for testing. Will be interesting to see how they compare.

I see it as an interesting opportunity to perform an objective and subjective analysis between two drivers I am considering using in my system.

Ge0

Reactions: bbfoto and Mauian

·
Registered
199 Posts
I see it as an interesting opportunity to perform an objective and subjective analysis between two drivers I am considering using in my system.

Ge0
Absolutely. Also just wanted to say that your comparison of the JL 10TW3 and the Sundown SD-4 piqued my interest as I have a 10TW3 so I thought, what the heck, and picked up a 10” SD-4 and just got it in my car with its own custom box today.

I must say, I’m impressed. I agree with your impression. Both are great subs. Both are accurate, but the SD-4 just has a slightly more noticeable oomph on the very low end that left my ears feeling like they were at a concert today after I got out of the car (in a good way). They seem to dig down very effortlessly - which the JL can do too - it’s a tough comparison. I really think people can’t go wrong with either.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Absolutely. Also just wanted to say that your comparison of the JL 10TW3 and the Sundown SD-4 piqued my interest as I have a 10TW3 so I thought, what the heck, and picked up a 10” SD-4 and just got it in my car with its own custom box today.

I must say, I’m impressed. I agree with your impression. Both are great subs. Both are accurate, but the SD-4 just has a slightly more noticeable oomph on the very low end that left my ears feeling like they were at a concert today after I got out of the car (in a good way). They seem to dig down very effortlessly - which the JL can do too - it’s a tough comparison. I really think people can’t go wrong with either.

Yep. The SD4 does so with less perceived strain / effort. Took me by surprise.

Now I'm investigating adding a 2nd SD4...

Ge0

Reactions: Mauian

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
So I worked on my passenger door today:

Going to install these slim little sexy Italian suckers.

The Porsche doors already had sizable strips of CLD installed on the outer door skin. I went over it with another layer of this guys stuff. Rumor has it, the stuff is kind of good.

Installed some Butyl rope to fill the remaining gaps in the crash bar.

The only place on the door that resonated heavily with mid-bass impact was this plastic access panel. I didn't have materials on hand to craft a new access panel out of PVC board so just sealedit up with CLD sheets. I noticed a significant reduction in vibration playing bass heavy notes on the door speakers so let it be for now. The doors wiring did vibrate pretty good though.

So, use some sticky back closed cell foam to hold those wires down.

Oh, and I installed a smaller / lighter mid-bass to check it out. The Dynaudio MW82's are going off for analysis...

Ge0

Reactions: SkizeR and dgage
221 - 240 of 275 Posts